• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the absolute worst game of 2016 you played?

Phediuk

Our 2016 GOTY thread will be showing up shortly. Unfortunately, not all games can be winners. Pick the worst game you played that was released this year.

For me, I think it has to be Homefront: The Revolution.

399462_front.jpg

Not only is it completely ludicrous that Homefront, of all games, got a sequel this year, but the game looks and plays like it was sitting on a shelf for the last few years and was released just now. It is the epitome of the grimdark, grey military shooter from circa 2011, offering nothing new or notable other than being possibly the worst-performing PS4 game I've ever seen. It's also probably the most jingoistic game of the year, with its unironic celebration violence against "the other" resembling the murderous fantasies of a bored 13-year-old scribbling in his binder during math class.

now it's your turn, GAF.

Hate to say it, but probably Zero Time Dilemma. It wasn't *bad* but the writing and overall narrative were extremely flawed, and the execution left a lot to be desired even if I appreciated that they were trying something new.

dinoroar

Banned
This is all about opinion right? 'Cause I gave up on Dishonored 2 after 3/4 hours. I now feel totally averse to trying it again.

dugdug

Banned
Played plenty of bad games for only an hour or so, but, the worst game I completed was Quantum Break.

Begaria

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness.

While not a bad game, it was just terribly average and I just couldn't bring myself to finish it even though I had all summer to do it. It's still sitting on my PS4, waiting for when I basically have nothing else to do but play it.

Godcannon

NES remix 2 is the biggest scam ever.

Got it on black Friday for $15 as an impulse buy.

Turns out, it has like 10 levels from each game, and when you finish, it has a store icon that takes you to where you can purchase the full game. I feel fucking robbed.

Tie between Uncharted 4 and Federation Force.

The former was relentlessly dull, serious and has zero respect for the player's intelligence. The latter is essentially useless since there is no community. Not sure which is worse.

spekkeh

Banned
Probably one of my students' projects, but in terms of actually released full games that weren't hacked together by novices in eight weeks, I think Ratchet and Clank.

It looked incredibly beautiful, but the game itself was just kind of there. Not bad, but also nothing interesting. Would rate 5/10.

This is all about opinion right? 'Cause I gave up on Dishonored 2 after 3/4 hours. I now feel totally averse to trying it again.

For sure, I think it's totally fine if you didn't like it, everything can't be for everyone.

For me it was Titanfall 2. Picked it up off the strength of the reviews and comments online about the quality of the campaign and was sorely disappointed. Multiplayer was fine but didn't really captivate me. Only game this year that got an instant trade in upon completition, I knew for sure I'd never want to replay it. Worth saying though that I tend to only really buy stuff I'm fairly confident in already and that was one of few gambles this year, so don't read it as too damning. Purely my own opinion and appreciate a lot of folks think it's good. The title mgiht be "absolute worst" but as my worst game, it was just very meh, not a total piece of trubbish or anything.

KodaRuss

Thinking back, it's probably Jotun.

Such a boring, empty world.

Hmm was thinking about picking that up on the PSN sale this week.

I honestly am not sure what would be my worst game. Maybe No Mans Sky because I barely played it but I am going to go back to it someday I believe.

georly

Turns out, it has like 10 levels from each game, and when you finish, it has a store icon that takes you to where you can purchase the full game. I feel fucking robbed.

Isn't that the normal price? Weren't they each 15 on eshop when they launched, with the 'complete' version (both combined with SOME extras) coming to retail later for 30 bucks~?

Zero Time Dilemma's story was bad, and the gameplay and overall tone/atmosphere just felt so depressing and hollow. Definitely the one I had the least fun with and I felt like I was forcing myself to slog through it, out of obligation to see the trilogy to the end.

I guess Mighty No. 9 too. It's not a terrible game but i played it for about 30 minutes and have never felt like playing it since.

Project X Zone 2 is easily the worst game I played this year

...Huh? What did you expect? I don't think it was ever advertised as having the full games and the first one is exactly like that too. It was always WarioWare but with NES games.

Haven't really played anything too vile this year, if Mighty Number 9 ever drops to a fiver I'll play it and hate every second for masochistic reasons I expect.

Whatever your favourite game was, that's the worst.

At times Overwatch is the absolute worst so I guess you're right!

Godcannon

Project X Zone 2 is easily the worst game I played this year

...Huh? What did you expect? I don't think it was ever advertised as having the full games and the first one is exactly like that too. It was always WarioWare but with NES games.

I didn't know anything about it....I suppose it's my fault. Like I said, I just saw it on black Friday and thought it looked awesome. Regardless, it's still piece of shit!!!

foppy79

Funny how polarizing Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian are to be considered some of the best and worst games of the year.

With that said, I've been pretty lucky with my purchases this year. Probably Far Cry Primal, bored me to tears.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No Man's Sky.

The sheer amount of PS4 crashes made it mysteriously seem like it didn't go through QA at all.

Didn't really play any bad games this year so I don't want to attach the worst label to any of them.

Even least good is kind of iffy for me. So I'll say:

Battlefield 1

A really great game. I enjoyed it a ton. But I just spend all my time in R6: Siege that it was pretty much collecting dust. I ended up trading it in.

Castef

Banned
Actually I haven't played much games this year, focused on a selected list of online games such as Titanfall 1/2, Rocket League and Smite.

Yet... I'd say that among the ones I've played and completed, the worst one was Layers of Fear.

Also Knight Squad...

Top Bottom