• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best looking console ever?

My LE PS4

One of the sexiest machines and packaging boxes for a machine. The whole pack just oozed quality. You could tell that Sony didn't want these things getting damaged in transit.

ds4dXUr.jpg

6USGq7J.jpg

UqQ4K0V.jpg

RAIDEN1

Yeah that packaging for the 20th anniversary edition was certainly shows some care, compared to the Destiny bundle-white PS4, that was nothing to write home about...

NekoFever

Consoles peaked with the look of the Super Famicom/European SNES:

640px-Super-Famicom-Console-Set.jpg

It would have looked better in pure white rather than grey, but I still love the contours and touches of colour.

But maybe I have weird taste because I think the Panasonic Q and original PS2 are hideous, and they always get a lot of nominations in threads like this.

Dreamcast, PS4 and Wii are nice, though.

Chinbo37

For me its the Dreamcast or PS2 slim.

Also I think this looks amazing (and i have one, looks even better in person).

3ds-xl-luigi.jpg

I gotta say Wii and PS4 star as my most beautiful consoles ever, along with Sega Master System and European Mega Drive. Those two are so elegant, in a retro way.

saturnine

I've seen it mentioned several times now. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a console that hasn't been mentioned yet. Maybe the Apple Pippin?

Ah, I meant lack as in not enough. Especially compared to the boring PS4 that a lot of posters seem to fancy, the philistines.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I could see the XB1 as having a timeless design, as that poster was responding to. It doesn't do anything particularly offensive aside from the glossy black, and what is more timeless than simple geometry?

If simple black geometry equated to timeless design then virtually every random DVD/Blu-ray player out there should be winning design awards. The thing is, it's unremarkable. It's an oversized rectangle with a slanted front with no standout characteristics. At least not compared to the Wii.

The Wii is a tiny upright white monolith with a glowing vertical disc slot. There's really nothing else like it.
The Wii design language went beyond the console, it extended to the cords, the power brick, the straps, the controllers and even the OS interface. It's a dense, compact package that has been engineered in such a way that no millimeter went to waste. Vents are all hidden from view, completing the look.

The Xbox One, I feel, doesn't have any of these characteristics. It's a ventilated box mostly filled with air and from what i've seen of it's internals, it has a very 'off-the-shelf' look and feel to it's components. It's basically a horizontally oriented PC designed to minimize the risk of RROD-like fuckups in the future. It's inoffensive and it looks pretty sleek, but it's a forgettable design no matter how futuristic and clean the renders make it look.

Yobel

Neo Member
Co much false judgements here. Bricks from 80's are slick? Really? DS Lite as something well designed? I'm sorry, but it's just not a vaild opinion.

To me, PS Vita and Xbox 360 slim are impressive. Also New 3DS XL, based only on external looks. When we take a peak inside, it's simply a mess. C-stick rather than 2x Circle pads? Speakers that sounds AND looks like from a child's toy? Nahhhh...

Nicktendo86

Why do so many plates have b, a, select and start above buttons that have the same things written right on them!?

It looks so stupid -_-

Pretty sure that was a homage to the design of the original famicon controller.

My nomination has to go to SNES (that top loading with eject button, the curves, sooo good) the Wii, Gamecube and black original Xbox 360.

Edit: oh and Dreamcast. I love consoles with curves, I find them inviting. The DC to me was like a futuristic SNES. That seems contradictory as I have mentioned the Wii & GC but I love those for their simplicity and design language, as others have said that language extended to the controllers, cables, power bricks etc. And I love the symmetry. Hate asymmetrical designs!

Zombine

Banned
latest

It's perfect in my opinion. The form factor, the color, the shape, the controller...it manages to look like a gaming console while not looking super gaudy. It's my favorite Nintendo console of all time.

I'm surprised that people like the Xbox One, it's ugly as sin just like the clunky original PS3.

I'd say either the PS3 Slim or the PS2 slim. Although I never owned the PS3 slim I always thought that they looked really nice.

strata8

Calling it the best looking console ever is a stretch but I love the blue New 3DS XL.

sUHw8UU.jpg

I just wish you could get a regular New 3DS with the same colour.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I always found it funny when people would say the Xbox One was ugly.. I thought it was sleek, and minimalistic. Love the look of it. The PS4 looks good too, but I always thought it looked more "Gamer". It's a successful attempt at the gamer look though, but I like minimalistic.

SNES
SNES Jr

White Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast

Nintendo Gamecube

PSX

PSP Go

GB Pocket

GBA SP

DSi XL
New 3DS non-XL (I'd still buy the XL one though)

And of all those, maybe Gamecube, actually.

If the X1 wasn't so damn huge it would be my number one. The X360 slim is my #1 I guess.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the fat PS3. That piece of tech was a beauty for it's time!

tesla246

latest

It's perfect in my opinion. The form factor, the color, the shape, the controller...it manages to look like a gaming console while not looking super gaudy. It's my favorite Nintendo console of all time.

This warms my heart and I agree. And alltough I like the look of most nintendo hardware, gamecube takes the cake, I mean, just look at these:
gcncolorsmid.jpg

Orange being my favourite

There is a certain elegance in its design, with the small controller plug, and it is one of the only consoles that isn't afraid to actually look like a gaming console, instead of a ''stylized'' DVD player, and is better of for it.

I also like how the controller has that roundness in its design/buttons/form factor, which is in stark contrast with the rectangular design of the console itself. Absolutely love its design Nintendo!

EDIT: bonus picture of my favourite cube colour:
gamecube2.jpg

The combination of the light grey and orange, just blends perfectly, and the the little black parts and coloured buttons adds to the main colour quite well. It's magical.

Bah. Great thread, but it just reminded me that the PS4's 'standby yellow' is darker than that of the DS4's 'charging yellow'.

BAD SONY. BAD.

I find the light to be kind of tacky, to be honest. Fantastic looking piece of kit otherwise, but please, for the love of god, consider an external power brick next time.

B0045FCKVI.05.lg.jpg

Both were sleek, stylish, and best of all simple. Nothing overly busy in their designs.

Nintendo was on point with their designs last gen (OG DS and Wii Mini notwithstanding).

Everyone can stop posting, wrap it up, thread is done.

lol hell no. In fact, there is exactly one good-looking Xbox: The 360 Slim. The rest are, at best, mediocre in their looks.

Oh, and the SNES is terrible-looking too. So is the Genesis to a lesser extent.

Zia

Super Famicom, the Mega Drive with the white trim (Europe?), PS2 Slim, white Xbox One and the Dreamcast, even if it is a little toy-like, are my favorites. I also think the New 3DS pretty swank.

The original Xbox and GameCube are ghastly. The PS4 is nothing to write home about either... design is dated by a good decade.

lol hell no. In fact, there is exactly one good-looking Xbox: The 360 Slim. The rest are, at best, mediocre in their looks
Original Slim X360 was rushed and looks like turd.

34118625-2-440-BK.jpg

Look at that back, the new out (SPDIF) is round, rather than square, hdmi-out is metal, nothing has been optimized... looks like a PC made to fit generic motherboards.

Why is that you ask? because the new out was given as spec, a radius (that's common, just to ensure it fits), the designers are not engineers so they might not even be aware of what it was, they made a mock-up with leeway for the given "specs" and... microsoft produced the motherfucking mock-up as rushed as they were to get it out of the door.

VILE.

From a designer standpoint, you just know that console had the redesign part of the job unfinished, they didn't let them finish, they deemed mock-up as good enough. And it isn't.

XBox 360 E for comparison:

xbox-360-e-back.jpg

That's better.

And I don't even think it looks good, or like a X360 upfront. The X360 Slim E... I like.

Ricky 7

Either the Playstation 4
ps4-system-imageblock-us-13jun14

or the Wii
black-kuro-wii-juni-4,-2009.jpg

Both of which are small, sleek, and elegant.

Both of them have that nice blue light streak as well which makes them look more futuristic than they really are. That's a key element to having a successful console, make it look futuristic.

Caronte

It's amazing how a different color can improve the design of a console. I really dislike the black Xbone but the white one is beautiful.

LordOfChaos

Original Slim X360 was rushed and looks like turd.

34118625-2-440-BK.jpg

Look at that back, the new out (SPDIF) is round, rather than square, hdmi-out is metal, nothing has been optimized... looks like a PC made to fit generic motherboards.

Why is that you ask? because the new out was given as spec, a radius (that's common, just to ensure it fits), the designers are not engineers so they might not even be aware of what it was, they made a mock-up with leeway for the given "specs" and... microsoft produced the motherfucking mock-up as rushed as they were to get it out of the door.

VILE.

From a designer standpoint, you just know that console had the redesign part of the job unfinished, they didn't let them finish, they deemed mock-up as good enough. And it isn't.

XBox 360 E for comparison:

xbox-360-e-back.jpg

That's better.

And I don't even think it looks good, or like a X360 upfront. The X360 Slim E... I like.

The thing about the back is that I don't look at it much. The fronts, more a matter of preference, but I like the S.
E
XBOX_360_35791989_35791991_35789091_35791992_08.jpg

S
Xbox-360S-Console-Set.jpg

(plus I know we're just talking visuals, but the E shaved off ports for no good reason).

Top Bottom