• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best Western Film ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
For a Few Dollars More would be my choice, with The Good, The Bad and the Ugly a close second. The shoot out in Agua Caliente is really special, as is the final shootout vs. the brilliant El Indio.

There are lots of good mentions in this thread but for me, Leone, Morricone and Eastwood are the Western genre. Everything else is but a pale imitation and I don't mean that as a slight to those other films.

3bdelilah

Banned
Not a huge fan of westerns, but I did like Once Upon a Time in the West more than I thought I would. Probably because the pacing is slightly better (faster) than The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Blader

It's my favourite of the Dollars trilogy, due in no small part to this swarthy, psychotic git's stella performance:

200_s.gif

Few Dollars More used to be my favorite of the trilogy, but I actually really didn't care for Indio. I thought Ramon Rojo was actually a better, if simpler, villain.

I do think the movie is Van Cleef's best performance/role though.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Too many older movies have slow pacing or wander on without getting to the plot. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly totally respects your time. There are almost no wasted scenes. The movie might run 2 and half hours but it's a lean, exciting, and constantly entertaining 2 and a half hours. I can't say that about most movies from that era.

FStop7

Banned
TGTBATU didn't get a single Oscar nom. Eli Wallach deserved all the Oscars for that movie.

If you work to live then why do you kill yourself working?

Kill3r7

Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone's greatest Western) edges out The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

The Man with No Name Trilogy
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
High Noon
Unforgiven
The Searchers
The Wild Bunch
True Grit (Cohen version)
The Proposition

As perfect as The Proposition, The Wild Bunch, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, And Unforgiven are.... I just feel like Once Upon a Time in the West is the best.

Fuchsdh

I'm quite partial to "The Searchers" myself. I don't really see the point of Wayne vs. Eastwood arguing. They're different actors in usually quite different types of films.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Too many older movies have slow pacing or wander on without getting to the plot. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly totally respects your time. There are almost no wasted scenes. The movie might run 2 and half hours but it's a lean, exciting, and constantly entertaining 2 and a half hours. I can't say that about most movies from that era.

I'd say if an older film was long, it was for a reason. There weren't 2 hr 20 minute blockbusters sprouting up a dime a dozen in the summer back then. The Searchers would probably be a good twenty minutes longer these days.

Killua

Top 5

1. Unforgiven
2. 310 to Yuma remake
3. Tombstone
4. Butch Casedy and the Sundance Kid
5. The Good the bad and the ugly

IISANDERII

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly is my favorite movie of all time so it wins by default.

Some others:

Once Upon A Time In The West
Unforgiven
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
For A Few Dollars More
Il Mercenario (aka The Mercenary aka A Professional Gun)
The Searchers
The Good The Bad The Weird

So many more Rio Bravo, The Great Silence, Open Range, The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, Pale Rider, The Wild Bunch, The Proposition, etcccccccccc
Nice to see Il Mercenario mentioned here.
I first saw it in a foreign language and didn't know what they were saying, my imagination filled in the blanks and it was brilliant. Then I saw it years later, dubbed and it wasn't nearly as good.

Here's the final duel in Italian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PykHgkq8-Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Randam

never watch any italo westerns yet.
dont ask me why.

more of a john wayne guy.

so:

Rio Bravo
El Dorado
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Sons of Katie Elder
Rio Grande
The Searchers
The Cowboys
and The Shootist.

Celine

Nice to see Il Mercenario mentioned here.
I first saw it in a foreign language and didn't know what they were saying, my imagination filled in the blanks and it was brilliant. Then I saw it years later, dubbed and it wasn't nearly as good.
Mercenary_1.jpg

Il mercenario is weird in a cool way.

kess

If anyone wants to see John Wayne playing a low-key supporting role in an ensemble cast, there's a movie called The Long Voyage Home, which was directed by John Ford.

The Misfits is a great, atypical western.

Blader

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Does treasure of the Sierra madre count? That is also a good one. It was my favorite classic movie for a while and made me like bogey

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Any one of the Dollars Trilogy.

True Grit is also brilliant, as is the Outlaw Josey Wales.

Kater

Banned
True Grit (2010)

Edit: Thought you meant movies from Europe, Australia and America in general. Sorry for not reading the OP. >_>

Loved 3:10 to Yuma so much. We need more modern westerns like that. I've seen most of the great westerns but can't remember which is which because I haven't seen them again in a long time. I remember liking the good, bad and ugly one a lot along with Silverado and tombstone.
I liked The quick and the dead so much as well.

IISANDERII

It's always bothered me how an epic track like L'arena is wasted on such a joke scene.
I didn't find it a joke scene. Him being a clown was just showing his fall from grace, from revolutionary freedom fighter with a gorgeous woman at his side, to losing everything, including his dignity.

Once Upon a Time in the West is good but really nothing tops the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

My top 5 are:

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
Unforgiven
Once Upon a Time in the West
Pale Rider

Outlaw Josey Wales (more of a Southern than a Western, but all the trappings are there).

I was trying to find a anime like one piece but like a spaghetti western type of version...not a post apoc type of movie can't seem to find one unless it's in space or fighting robots lol

I'll mention since it hasn't (at least I don't think it has yet) been mentioned yet, A Big Hand for the Little Lady. It's a poker western that mostly involves the antics one particularly large poker hand. It stars Kevin McCarthy, Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, and Jason Robards. It's a very entertaining movie and different from your typical shoot 'Em up westerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom