• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best Western Film ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lJYsXDO.jpg

Helmholtz

Honestly I've only seen 5 or 6, but I'd go with Good the Bad and the Ugly. Followed by Once Upon a Time in the West. The music from those two is simply amazing too.

Madness

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I've watched it so many times as a kid growing up. One of the finest westerns made. The entire "man with no name/Dollars" trilogy is great (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) etc.

From the great cinematography, costumes/sets/locales to the amazing score by Ennio Morricone.

Heel

I watched A Fistful Of Dollars last week, so good. I need to see the middle film now, lol.

Haha yeah, I had this problem. Netflix has A Fistful of Dollars + The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...but not For a Few Dollars More lol. Very much worth seeking out, at least in my opinion. Ended up being my favorite of the three.

Need to see Once Upon a Time in the West next.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Rio Bravo.

I didn't think anyone was going to suggest this.

Can't really think of a better example of a completely standard, but very well-executed Western. Good to watch if you've never seen a Western before, as a way to set expectations for what the genre was about before all the deconstructions hit.

One Upon a Time in the West is the one that really stuck with me.

I'd agree with this one. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly certainly has more iconic music but Once Upon a Time in the West is just a better all around package imo.

Though.. you can't go wrong with any Sergio Leone western.

Man, this is an impossible question...
Though I can guarantee you, the greatest western definitely stars Clint Eastwood.
... I guess Josey Wales would be my pick in a pinch.

obin_gam

The opening scene in TGTB&TU is perfection. It sets the standard for every western to come.

oOsZzTz.jpg

The way Lee Van Cleef is eating that soup gets me every time. I have never seen any eviler way of eating food in my life.

ЯAW

Banned
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Such safe answer but this. There might be westerns that I watch and momentarily they will top it. Thing is, I can watch The Good, the Bad and the Ugly over and over again and still love it. There is no other western that I can watch twice in a year and not get bored of it. It has perfect sense of western, humor and little bit of adventure.

Ok this is a big list and most have been mentioned, but just to reiterate:

Unforgiven
The Man With No Name Trilogy
The Searchers
The Magnificent Seven
No Country For Old Men
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

and my personal dark horse pick

The Proposition

How haven't more people said Once Upon a Time in the West?! Masterpiece.

Westerns are one of my favourite genre of films. So cool.

Here are the ones I've seen:

Open Range
No Country for Old Men
Jesse James (2007)
Once Upon a Time in the West
True Grit (Coens version)

I have the man with no name trilogy on Blu Ray, need to watch that.

and if you're looking for a TV show, Deadwood is amazing.

How haven't more people said Once Upon a Time in the West?! Masterpiece.

Westerns are one of my favourite genre of films. So cool.

Here are the ones I've seen:

Open Range
No Country for Old Men
Jesse James (2007)
Once Upon a Time in the West
True Grit (Coens version)

I have the man with no name trilogy on Blu Ray, need to watch that.

and if you're looking for a TV show, Deadwood is amazing.

You need to watch The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom