• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best Western Film ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is always up there for me. People always focus on Clint Eastwood and the "Man with no name"-trilogy, but in that movie he is such a secondary character to the fantastic Eli Wallach. I even think the often overlooked Duck You Sucker would have been a lot better if Wallach had played the lead instead of Rod Steiger.

bionic77

Tombstoneposter.jpeg

No one has mentioned Tombstone?
I love Tombstone but it isn't the best Western ever made. The love stories were really weak. Hated his wife and the 2nd chick. Take those out and it is a perfect movie.

Blader

Unforgiven
Once Upon a Time in the West
Dollars trilogy
The Wild Bunch
The Assassination of Jesse James
The Big Gundown
The Great Silence
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I don't really like John Wayne or classic westerns.

Zia

The Searchers is one of the greatest films period. Totally in a different league than any other Western, barring maybe Rio Bravo and a couple interchangeable Leones. Still, The Searchers is a singular work.

My favorites are tied:

Once Upon a Time in the West
Unforgiven

But I love most westerns. I love Outlaw Josey Wales but I wouldn't call it a western (maybe a southern? Lol).

My guilty pleasure pick is The Quick and the Dead but there's a lot about it that is so strange. I love all the gunfighters and Hackman.

A LOT of older movies would never make it in todays world. They would be protested into the ground for countless reasons. Thankfully, they were all made before shit like that started, so we actually get to see the awesomeness of Blazing Saddles.
Blazing Saddles is amazing.

Vyroxis

Banned
Would never fly in todays PC world

A LOT of older movies would never make it in todays world. They would be protested into the ground for countless reasons. Thankfully, they were all made before shit like that started, so we actually get to see the awesomeness of Blazing Saddles.

I entered the thread to post this.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Good, The Bad and The Ugly because it's cool, funny and keeps you interested in the story the whole time. Overall, it's a very uplifting story. Also, I love how it presents each character in a sequential way.

Having said that, Eastwood's Unforgiven is an absolute masterpiece. I think it's much much more realistic, dark, depressing and rough. In a single word: badass.

From the beginning, when you see Clint's character as a farmer, in the middle of nowhere, miserable as a rat, you know he has no choice but to accept and embrace the quest, and he -and you- knows that it's going to become a tragedy.

MechDX

If you have never seen it I also highly recommend Cat Ballou. Another comedic western that would be un-PC today but not as over the top as Blazing Saddles.

225px-Cat_Ballou_Poster.jpeg

Not my favorite, but how come The Treasure of the Sierra Madre doesn't come up more often when talking about westerns? Surely it's good enough to pop up on more than a few people's lists!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
We've more than covered best. My vote for worst:

$(KGrHqUOKnQE2dbV2lvwBNo1OS1Ld!~~_35.JPG

Originally considered the Costner Wyatt Earp, but this edges out for the stunt casting of Usher Raymond.

Wiktor

I've already posted my pick, but I thought it would be interesting to ask for my father's opinion on this topic and his choice was Big Country.
SS_boomer_movies_big-country.jpg

From the beginning, when you see Clint's character as a farmer, in the middle of nowhere, miserable as a rat, you know he has no choice but to accept and embrace the quest, and he -and you- knows that it's going to become a tragedy.
It's MUCH more deeper than a tragedy. The story is about change. Allow me to elaborate. The Unforgiven shows that it is impossible to escape what you are and even the title implies as such. You can try to "build" a new beginning but you cannot escape the past. William Munny tries to be a farmer, but gets sucked back into his old ways in a spectacularly violent and terrible manner. On the other hand, The Kid tries to "build" a persona of an outlaw gunslinger (which ironically is the personification of William Munny at his most terrible), but he is anything but. He cannot escape the fact that he is a good person at heart with morals, and no manner of bullshittery can turn him into a wild west gunslinger. He chickens out. Another example is Little Bill Dagget. Little Bill is a tyrant who thinks he is just and fair, and believes that his town is picture perfect. The metaphor you can immediately connect to is him trying to build that house of his, but you find out that the house is built all sorts of wrong. Little Bill sucks at building houses. It's leaky, it's foundations are wrong, and wind gusts pass through it. It implies that Little Bill is a sadistic maniac, and no amount of happy town building can veil the fact that he cannot create something "good" by being inherently "evil". Guy whips Ned to death. Ned is interesting, in the sense that he is the only one who does not try to escape his past.

Other interesting theme is of classic westerns; honor, justice, dignity and vengeance. But, it shows how warped these ideals can truly be in a morally ambiguous territory. English Bob thinks he holds all idealistic traits, but he does not. Little Bill claims these traits for him from English Bob, saying English Bob was just a braggart and a drunk. Munny turns this conversation upside it's head by saying these ideals do not exist in old ways (English Bob) or new ways (Little Bill). People simply get lucky. This is a deeper topic.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly is my favorite movie of all time so it wins by default.

Some others:

Once Upon A Time In The West
Unforgiven
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
For A Few Dollars More
Il Mercenario (aka The Mercenary aka A Professional Gun)
The Searchers
The Good The Bad The Weird

So many more Rio Bravo, The Great Silence, Open Range, The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, Pale Rider, The Wild Bunch, The Proposition, etcccccccccc

Blader

For A Few Dollars More used to be my favorite of that trilogy too. I don't really think that anymore, but it's still pretty damn great, and one hell of a sort-of debut by Van Cleef.

i can agree with many choices here, i'll mention the ones that i'm really fond of

* Unforgiven (amazing movie, more of a character study than a traditional western but with some amazing scenes, the final confrontation, the atmosphere, Clint's speech about what he is, magic)
* The Good The Bad & The Ugly (in a lot of movies, the scene were Tuco gets to the cemetary and finally finds the grave would just have been a piece of exposition, probably him riding on a horse, seeing the graveyard from afar, then a dissolve to him walking up the grave and that would be it => here Leone transforms it into art, a perfect fusion of image and music that has a lot of deeper meaning, it helps that EVERYTIME i see this scene, or even only hear the music, i get goosebumps)(while Once Upon A Time In The West is amazing as well, for me it falls just under TGTBTU, which is Leone's masterpiece)
* Django (1st time i saw this, i didn't really like it and found that the chaingun scene after 30 minutes in was the high point, but seeing it again on Bluray a couple of months ago, this is a movie where everything just fell into place, amazing music, acting, look and violence)

I'll say Once Upon a Time in the West (166 min (long) version, as on Blu-ray; love that extra scene in the way station etc).

I've been resisting buying The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly etc on Blu-ray because, unlike Once Upon a Time in the West, people are saying on Amazon the video quality isn't great. Is this sadly a fair assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom