• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the biggest drop in quality between a game and its immediate follow-up?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
DMC2 to DMC3

tumblr_lyhsnjCxyy1qfriu3o1_500.gif

tiijj

I dunno if these are considered as sequels and "immediate" but

Chrono Trigger > Chrono Cross

And Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem Forever.

SURGEdude

REmake to RE0

I don't hate RE0 as much as a lot of people. But it's still going directly from one of the best mainline games to one of the worst.

This is a good one. RE0 was the only major RE title I actually struggled to get through. It had a lot to like I suppose, but in contrast to REmake it felt like a poor man's imitation.

Great way to get people open to a major gameplay shift with RE4 though. I think a lot of people felt the genre had sort of stagnated and run it's course and nothing showed that more than the beautifully crafted visuals hiding a bland and tired game underneath. REmake along with SH2 were the games that made people wonder where survival horror might be headed with the new systems.

But tastes were changing with the new hardware, and slower paced games were falling out of favor to more intense 1st and 3rd person stuff. The genre also suffered from fatigue in large part due to low energy knockoffs and cash-in attempts by the industry as a whole including Capcom themselves. REmake felt like the olive branch to gamers who had grown frustrated with the slow evolution and glacial pace of gameplay improvements.

It had the tight gameplay and thrill of a good horror game while also having an eye to the future. Sadly not enough people played it, and many of us who did were left hopeful for a modernization of the genre that maintained the gameplay core while accommodating some changes to keep the focus on immersion and item management. RE0 was all of what REmake was except for the crucial ingredient of good game design that provided a memorable and engaging well structured adventure. It had all of the visual and gameplay tweaks to appear fresh, but poor pacing, weak level design, and a forgettable story made it clear that cranking out visually upgraded but lazily put together entries was not the future.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Monkey Island 3 to Monkey Island 4.

MI3 is a bloody amazing game and my fave in the series. MI4 was a mistake, it is nothing but trash.

Cepheus

Out of the games I've played, Galaxy to Galaxy 2. It just felt like a Yoshi expansion pack of the first game, minus the cool hub world. Also, the Yoshi controls were beyond frustrating for me.

Peltz

Final Fantasy 12 -> Final Fantasy 13?

(I have not played either game. I'm just going by what people say.)

Majora's Mask -> Wind Waker

n8vUctp.gif

See these are just different types of games. I love both of them and would actually give Wind Waker the edge as being better than MM (although it's close).

kswiston

I dunno if these are considered as sequels and "immediate" but

Chrono Trigger > Chrono Cross

And Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem Forever.

Chrono Cross was a good game. It just wasnt a good Chrono Trigger sequel. If they dropped the few story ties and changed the name, I am sure it would have be remebered fondly today. Hell, people on these boards started to like shit like Legend of Dragoon when enough time passed. Cross's well was unfortunately poisoned from the get go.

Im sure its been said a million times, but they removed the rpg aspects from the gameplay and turned it into a VERY mediocre tps. The story went nowhere and the new characters were mostly forgettable or unlikable. Its not a horrible game but failed to build on the first one.

The Illusive Man?! Thane Krios? Samara? MORDIN FUCIKIN SOLUS HIMSELF?!!

I will NEVER EVEEERRRRRR get you people who like ME1 more than ME2.

silva1991

Dark Souls --------> Dark Souls 2

DS2 isn't the worst game ever, but DS1 is my favorite game of all time and DS2 will struggle to be in my top 50 and so.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
Searched through the thread and didn't see it- how about Actraiser to Actraiser 2? The first was half action platformer, half god game, in a weird mix that produced a really memorable game. The sequel cut out the god game part and replaced it with....nothing, leaving just a sort of clunky action platformer that was really nothing like the original. Hell, it even used a password system for continues while the original had full battery back up for saves. I actually think Actraiser 2 is ok for what it is, but it's nowhere near as interesting as the first.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Searched through the thread and didn't see it- how about Actraiser to Actraiser 2? The first was half action platformer, half god game, in a weird mix that produced a really memorable game. The sequel cut out the god game part and replaced it with....nothing, leaving just a sort of clunky action platformer that was really nothing like the original. Hell, it even used a password system for continues while the original had full battery back up for saves. I actually think Actraiser 2 is ok for what it is, but it's nowhere near as interesting as the first.

Wow this brings back the nostalgia. The first Actraiser was amazing. It was the first video game I ever beat. I remember wanting 2 up to the second I began to play it. The lack of God Mode took away half the fun, and the plat forming with wings was just annoying. What a waste of a IP.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Your search-fu is weak. Someone posted the boxart and it's been quoted several times throughout the thread... including once just a few posts before yours.

SenkiDala

Fable -> Fable II.

I loved every inch of Fable, but Fable II was just trash, so many bugs ang glitches, and the devs saying "oh well the game is out, we won't make a patch for it now", fuck them.
I loved Fable III though (which I played years after release).

Adam_802

Mario Sunshine to galaxy. Seriously, thought galaxy was a step back from Sunshine in almost every way. Worse camera, smaller stages, worse music IMO, more 'linear' design, etc.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Mario Sunshine to galaxy. Seriously, thought galaxy was a step back from Sunshine in almost every way. Worse camera, smaller stages, worse music IMO, more 'linear' design, etc.
I can kiiiind of understand some of those preferences, but worse music is just objectively wrong.

Tiops

I have a few:

Devil May Cry 1 -> 2
Final Fantasy XII -> XIII
Dragon Quest VIII -> IX
Grandia 2 -> Xtreme and 3

I could also include Resident Evil 3 to 4, but it's not a drop in quality, just a change in the series direction that I hated. RE4 is pretty good.

Top Bottom