• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the chances of us getting a next gen Ridge Racer ?

Zero7

I really love and miss this series dearly. It felt weird buying a PS4 back at launch and no RR title to accompany it.

Still 7 years on and there has been no new RR title at all on this gen.

I'd love a new RR title for PS5 and Xbox SX. Think it could happen?

Ridge Racer 6 was the last one I really enjoyed, and it was one of my favorite entries in the long-running series. It has been almost 15 years now.

You can retain old gameplay, and stylize them to fit the current era, without having to rely on the obsession of realism. Take Crash Bandicoot N.sane Trilogy for example.

Rave Racer also never got a chance on home platforms, which is a shame. Namco (if you can even call them that), like SEGA is way too neglectful of their legacy. The irony is that Namco didn't used to be that way; on the contrary with their old brands appearing in countless of games. I don't like Bandai Namco.

Airola

Ok, magic time!

I came to post "zero" here.
Then I meant to write "which could mean they will release a game called Ridge Racer Zero!"
And then I saw what the OPs name was!

It's happening!

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Sadly, there just isn't a big enough market for Arcade racers any more.

They used to be huge. I have no idea why the masses fell out of love with them.

None sony doesn't even value its current Japanese developers "censroing a T rated One piece game and a VN game of Stiens gate" Your best bet is to hope you get another quantum break game with a touch of social commentary with no game play

Would be cool... Psp Ridge Racer games i still play sometimes, what a fun game.

Love the ps1 too. I remember when i got my ps1 with Ridge Racer and Tekken 1. Was magical, we will never feel that way again...We are all oldfarts now.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sadly, there just isn't a big enough market for Arcade racers any more.

They used to be huge. I have no idea why the masses fell out of love with them.

Gran Turismo started the obsession with having hundreds of cars in the game. Then people demanded that all racing games have hundreds of cars. But "hundreds of cars" only means something if they're recognizable, so people wanted real cars. But the games with real car licenses were all sims, because car manufacturers don't want unrealistic representations of their products, and people got used to that style of racing game. And by that point, nobody could understand the merits of arcade racers anymore.

Bkdk

Probably some remasters, very low chance for a sequel. The trend for game development is focusing more recourses on a few ultra successful IPs. Unfortunately Ridge racer is not one of them anymore.

Would've thought they'd have done an arcade/FEC release of Ridge Racer by now tbh. SEGA's already done Daytona and World Driver's Championship (and they've got some ATV racer coming there), and Raw Thrills does quite a lot of them too. Figure it'd of been easy money for a new Ridge Racer in arcades/FECs.

Probably more likely they'd do it there than on home consoles but at least they could port it over to next-gen systems with added content later on. At like $40 that'd be a really good deal imho. Just make sure it gets as close to RR Type 4 as possible (aka the best Ridge Racer game).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best bet for a new RR is. $19.99 digital download.

I don’t see anyone in modern times paying $60 for a RR game. Maybe during PS1-PS2 era but not now. I don’t even think RR games during the 360 era sold that great.

Last edited:

Sleepydays

Banned
I'd love a modern remake of Type 4. A stunning game at the time, and one that holds up extremely well.

I've been playing a lot of Turbo Chase Horizon recently, and I've realized how starved we've been for arcade racers...

Ban Puncher

Best chance would be a system launch title that runs at the highest possible resolution and FPS as a technical showpiece like Ridge Racer 7 on PS3.

Why did Ridge Racer disappear?

A combination of piss-poor quality Ridge Racer games from Namco and the onset of Forza Horizon (and before that, Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2) taking over arcade racing, but with an increased scale, sandbox gameplay, and online capabilities, did Ridge Racer in. Before Forza Horizon, the Project Gotham Racing series of games also stole Ridge Racer's thunder, especially PGR 2 and 3--those were straight up track-only arcade racers that had polish, excellent online play, and imagination--all things the last Ridge Racer games failed to have.

PGR, Forza Horizon, and Test Drive Unlimited are arcade racers but with real vehicles. Plus PGR and Forza Horizon are every bit, if not moreso, scenic and graphically captivating than anything the Ridge Racer series brought to our screens.

Instead of lamenting Ridge Racer, we should be lamenting Activision killing off PGR.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Ridge Racer 6 was the last one I really enjoyed, and it was one of my favorite entries in the long-running series. It has been almost 15 years now.

You can retain old gameplay, and stylize them to fit the current era, without having to rely on the obsession of realism. Take Crash Bandicoot N.sane Trilogy for example.

Rave Racer also never got a chance on home platforms, which is a shame. Namco (if you can even call them that), like SEGA is way too neglectful of their legacy. The irony is that Namco didn't used to be that way; on the contrary with their old brands appearing in countless of games. I don't like Bandai Namco.
Same.

Bandai Namco sucked the soul out of Namco. A real shame.

Gran Turismo started the obsession with having hundreds of cars in the game. Then people demanded that all racing games have hundreds of cars. But "hundreds of cars" only means something if they're recognizable, so people wanted real cars. But the games with real car licenses were all sims, because car manufacturers don't want unrealistic representations of their products, and people got used to that style of racing game. And by that point, nobody could understand the merits of arcade racers anymore.

The same thing happened to flight sims... hardcore realists destroyed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom