• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the Current Status of GAF in general right now?

Chittagong

Gold Member
I left back in 2015 when the insanity was beginning to reach it's peak levels. I was surprised when some folks on twitter and Niche gamer mentioned gaf had changed, so I decided to stop by to see for myself. I was pleased to see actual debate and discussion again. Conservatives and liberals going back and forth. Not always civil, but different opinions were acceptable. When I saw the thread about fan service and it wasn't immediately inundated with self righteous hate, I decided to return.
The forum doesn't move at the break neck pace it once did, but I feel comfortable here again.

Welcome back! Great that more people are coming back to form their own opinion of GAF now. Your assessment is very similar to mine, people have quality discussions with different viewpoints usually quite respectfully presented.

Grieves

It's nice to hear that word is slowly getting out that GAF isn't the same place it was a couple of years ago.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I left back in 2015 when the insanity was beginning to reach it's peak levels. I was surprised when some folks on twitter and Niche gamer mentioned gaf had changed, so I decided to stop by to see for myself. I was pleased to see actual debate and discussion again. Conservatives and liberals going back and forth. Not always civil, but different opinions were acceptable. When I saw the thread about fan service and it wasn't immediately inundated with self righteous hate, I decided to return.
The forum doesn't move at the break neck pace it once did, but I feel comfortable here again.
Welcome back.
giphy.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seems the Nintendo Direct is pushing the numbers ever higher. GAF is now at 263 members online and 2085 total visitors. It's interesting how big the amount of lurkers here is, the fear of retribution is real. GAF is now around 20% of Era traffic in terms of people online. I would say that about 50% of Era members online is the point when things get out of hand.

A year later. Now there are 617 members online, 3,122 total visitors currently. Up some 200% and 50% respectively. GAF is now 25% of Era traffic in terms of people online.

Chittagong

Gold Member
A year later. Now there are 617 members online, 3,122 total visitors currently. Up some 200% and 50% respectively. GAF is now 25% of Era traffic in terms of people online.

What a difference a quarter makes. On a random Thursday 775 members online, 3,928 total visitors currently. Up some 25% across the board. GAF is now 33% of Era traffic in terms of people online.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
What a difference a quarter makes. On a random Thursday 775 members online, 3,928 total visitors currently. Up some 25% across the board. GAF is now 33% of Era traffic in terms of people online.

Nice to see more people around, but I'm not super inclined to use Era as a tape measure for activity. There are a lot of low effort fly-by posts there by people who like to treat the place like Twitter. Granted we get that here too, but hopefully this place will maintain a good amount of actual thoughtful posting that doesn't get buried under the noise.

supernova8

Banned
Nice to see more people around, but I'm not super inclined to use Era as a tape measure for activity. There are a lot of low effort fly-by posts there by people who like to treat the place like Twitter. Granted we get that here too, but hopefully this place will maintain a good amount of actual thoughtful posting that doesn't get buried under the noise.

Let's be honest GAF has its fair share of bullshit, low-effort posts. The difference is that when fanboy wars hit the fan, generally it's allowed to play out because it's all just words, means absolutely nothing and (I think) the mods know that people like giving and taking shit - it's just good old classic message board antics.

ERA feels like it becomes a dogpile on one side and the mods are way too quick to take one side and ban people for seemingly no reason.

Oh and......... fuuucking hell the SJW bullshit.

"Oh my gawd we need mawr [insert marginally marginalised group] representation in gaymz"

nush

Let's be honest GAF has its fair share of bullshit, low-effort posts. The difference is that when fanboy wars hit the fan, generally it's allowed to play out because it's all just words, means absolutely nothing and (I think) the mods know that people like giving and taking shit - it's just good old classic message board antics.

ERA feels like it becomes a dogpile on one side and the mods are way too quick to take one side and ban people for seemingly no reason.

Oh and......... fuuucking hell the SJW bullshit.

"Oh my gawd we need mawr [insert marginally marginalised group] representation in gaymz"

There's a noticeable uptick in new and returning members that are just fed up with Era inserting social justice, being banned for criticizing the moderation and enforcing only one viewpoint on any topic and just want to talk about games. So thanks Era for being a great driver for new signups here.

But Era is not the only driver for new members because they really are not that big in the grand scheme of things and people are finding GAF and its increased activity organically. GAF is noticeably more welcoming to an international audience who could not care less about American politics.

dream

ResetEra is in a perpetual state of contraction too, as more and more people jump off the sinking ship. So yeah, not sure a comparison to era really tells us all that much.

Top Bottom