• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the difference between Azureus/Vuze and uTorrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALIS

I've been using uTorrent forever seemingly, but just this week there's a torrent that just doesn't want to write, I keep getting "can't find path" errors with uTorrent, probably because the torrent has a lot of non-standard characters in it and supposedly uTorrent chokes on those (though I've never noticed this before). So I decided to try it with a different BT client (Vuze) and wow! It looks like a supercomputer next to uTorrent, which looks like a calculator in comparison. So many options and... other shit. It's kind of overwhelming.

Is it better, though? I always hear people say uTorrent is the best, yet Vuze/Azureus certainly has a lot of fans. More options, better GUI... I'm intrigued. Opinions?

And I assume this is an okay topic since it isn't about piracy. There's nothing illegal about bit torrent clients.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Have you tried the uTorrent 1.8xx beta versions?

And yea, utorrent is just alot smaller in everyway possible compared to azureus, love it.

dasein

ok yes um this thread is relevant to a question I had earlier today.

which is the most lightweight torrent app out there? I want something that is ultra light. would that be a firefox add-on or something? can anyone enlighten me here

kathode

What's the best alternative to Azureus for Mac? One day I updated it and it turned into this Vuze thing, and now I feel like I am peeking through the hedges to find the actual torrent application in there among all the other BS and horrible independent media.

Slavik81

Azureus used to be good. ;_;

kathode said:
One day I updated it and it turned into this Vuze thing, and now I feel like I am peeking through the hedges to find the actual torrent application in there among all the other BS and horrible independent media.
Tools->Options->Start->UI Chooser->Classic Interface

kathode said:
What's the best alternative to Azureus for Mac? One day I updated it and it turned into this Vuze thing, and now I feel like I am peeking through the hedges to find the actual torrent application in there among all the other BS and horrible independent media.
I only use Transmission nowadays.

elaments

Neo Member
Vuze works great for me, I just start all my downloads before I go to bed and they are all done by the time I wake up or get off work.

Slayven

dasein said:
ok yes um this thread is relevant to a question I had earlier today.

which is the most lightweight torrent app out there? I want something that is ultra light. would that be a firefox add-on or something? can anyone enlighten me here
Utorrent, lightest one i ever seen. hell you don't even install it.

M3wThr33

Banned
About 500MB of RAM.

uTorrent is 260kB.

That's it. Just as many features. A fucking FRACTION of cpu, hard disk and ram usage.

kathode said:
Like already said Transmission is great. It's small, simple, and gives you the option to ration off bandwidth for uploads and downloads.

Ceres

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Azureus used to be good. ;_;

I was a major Azureus user for several years. Some of the features I used are not on utorrent. But my computer started getting old and Azureus started being more and more of a memory hog. Despite having it setup to automate everything, it was just not pleasant using my computer if Azureus was running.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I used to use BitTornado, simple, light, and fast. I tried Azureus a couple times but have never liked it.

uTorrent is light and fast too but with a couple extra features that come in handy.

aznpxdd

Azeureus for me since my fuckin' ISP throttles torrent files, I have to use it to encrypt my connection. It does take a shitload of ram, but its irrelevant to me since I've got 8gb of ram on Vista x64.

aaaaa0

uTorrent is written in C++ and is native to Windows (it doesn't use any cross-platform libraries, GUI frameworks, or standard C++ libraries like STL). It is thus fast, lightweight, and clean.

Vuze is written in Java. It is big, fat, and slow.

That is the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom