• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the scariest work of fiction you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Short story, novel, manga, graphic novel, or creepypasta anything is fair game here.

We talk about scary movies pretty often but I think I'd like to read something I haven't yet in time for halloween.

I think the scariest fiction I've read is diving into The Dionaea House and all the peripheral stuff surrounding it.

http://www.dionaea-house.com/

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
The thing that probably probably got under my skin the most was probably reading the shining alone late at night.

So much of this has to do with mindset and environment, I can't guarantee that someone else would get the same.

Amory

not really "scary" in the conventional sense (I don't really like to be scared so i avoid that kind of thing usually) but "Lunar Park" by Bret Easton Ellis was....disturbing. it's not violent like American Psycho but the mood in that book is all kinds of fucked up

that book stuck with me long after i finished it

Platy

How SCARY you mean ?

Because I kinda want to say "I have no mouth and I must scream" has the most "scared per word count" I ever saw but then again it is not the same "scary" as freddy krueger =P

Escalario

Banned
Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space" is the only work of fiction that really scared me. But boy was it effective. The ending was NOPE af.

JDSN

Banned
The Fault of Amigara.

Im not really much of a horror fan but the idea thats is a primal compulsion that cant be controled even tho it ends with something worse than death was scary as shit.

DrArchon

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream isn't jump-scare terrifying, but the concepts are incredibly frightening.

Though it goes against the spirit of the topic (i.e. reading) I can't recommend getting the audiobook version enough. Harlan Ellison has a fantastic voice (there's a reason he plays AM in the game after all) and really brings the story to life.

Sagely

I tend to avoid scary fiction and so don't have much of a selection to choose from, but I loved a short story called "Penpal" that was really tense. Not supernatural, just plain disturbing (the feasibility of the situation made it more effective for me).

bjork

When I was like 8, I was in a GATE class and the teacher gave me this book to read about... you know, I don't remember if it was about Alaska or camping, but a dude got attacked by a bear and barely survived, and he went into pretty vivid detail for my young mind to process. It might be tame to me now, but back then, I was taken aback by it.

[edit - now that I think about it, maybe it was non-fiction? It's been 30 years, too fuzzy to recall.]

Slayven

179735.jpg

Disturbing thing is ti based on a real life story

Pet Sematary by Stephen King, especially now with young kids of my own. Shit man, some parts of that book just destroyed me.

The Shining is also an honorable mention for me. Like most of his work, it's a pretty slow burn before the scary starts but holy hell when it kicks in it's pretty damn terrifying.

The Woman in Black is probably the scariest thing I've ever read but I don't read a lot of scary things. Incredibly chilling, I finished it in one reading because I couldn't put it down.

MGrant

Not the scariest, but one of my favorite horror short stories ever just got released in Best American Sci-Fi and Fantasy. It's called Skullpocket; you can read it online here. Beautifully written and super creepy.

guek

Banned
Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

I wrote my senior capstone on it in college. That book left me disturbed for weeks.

The Shining freaked me out after reading it. I then saw the movie and I didnt think it was that scary, especially the part when
Jack goes into Room 217. In the movie, its some cheesy scene with a hot lady that turns into a gross as fuck old lady after making out with her. But in the book, you dont see anything, he senses and hears a presence. You just hear very slight noises, its extremely intense in the book and I had to turn the lights on and walk around a bit that night when I read that.

Fury451

Banned
I don't think of ever been legitimately scared by a book, I guess I'm more of a visual person want to comes to that. But reading a lot of Lovecraft gives me the chills. He has some pretty haunting stories.

The Music of Erich Zahn is probably my favorite.

I also love a lot of Stephen King's short stories. His novels, not so much. But the shorts are expert level.

Richard Matheson's Hell House so far. I haven't read much King yet, though. Blood Meridian is up there, too.

John Bellairs' kids books really creeped me out hard as a kid.

jiggles

Banned
Lovecraft's The Festival chills me every time I read it. This passage in particular:

When I sounded the archaic iron knocker I was half afraid. Some fear had been gathering in me, perhaps because of the strangeness of my heritage, and the bleakness of the evening, and the queerness of the silence in that aged town of curious customs. And when my knock was answered I was fully afraid, because I had not heard any footsteps before the door creaked open. But I was not afraid long, for the gowned, slippered old man in the doorway had a bland face that reassured me; and though he made signs that he was dumb, he wrote a quaint and ancient welcome with the stylus and wax tablet he carried.
He beckoned me into a low, candle-lit room with massive exposed rafters and dark, stiff, sparse furniture of the seventeenth century. The past was vivid there, for not an attribute was missing. There was a cavernous fireplace and a spinning-wheel at which a bent old woman in loose wrapper and deep poke-bonnet sat back toward me, silently spinning despite the festive season. An indefinite dampness seemed upon the place, and I marvelled that no fire should be blazing. The high-backed settle faced the row of curtained windows at the left, and seemed to be occupied, though I was not sure. I did not like everything about what I saw, and felt again the fear I had had. This fear grew stronger from what had before lessened it, for the more I looked at the old man’s bland face the more its very blandness terrified me. The eyes never moved, and the skin was too like wax. Finally I was sure it was not a face at all, but a fiendishly cunning mask. But the flabby hands, curiously gloved, wrote genially on the tablet and told me I must wait a while before I could be led to the place of festival.

You can read the whole short story here: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/f.aspx

SpaceHorror

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream isn't jump-scare terrifying, but the concepts are incredibly frightening.

Though it goes against the spirit of the topic (i.e. reading) I can't recommend getting the audiobook version enough. Harlan Ellison has a fantastic voice (there's a reason he plays AM in the game after all) and really brings the story to life.

This.

Also, Ellison's story The Whimper of Whipped Dogs scared the hell out of me when I read it in the middle of the night.

Mupod

The Fault of Amigara.

Im not really much of a horror fan but the idea thats is a primal compulsion that cant be controled even tho it ends with something worse than death was scary as shit.

even the fact that it's been an internet joke run into the ground for a million years doesn't make me forget running across that shit at like 2AM.

Flowers for Algernon. Seriously. It was the first book that made me really aware of my own mortality.

More recently some of Junji Ito's manga have been really disturbing. The Enigma of Amigara Fault in particular has had me feeling trapped in my own life.

House of Leaves.

I have never been more unnerved by a book, and the complex stuff involved in reading it is just enough to make it that much more immersive. I literally didn't want to leave my house while I was reading it.

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar by Edgar Allan Poe.

The short story 1408 by Stephen King.

Although not strictly horror, I remember some book by John Connolly also being quite chilling. Possibly Dark Hollow

And +1 for The Shining by Stephen King.

Dalek

House of Leaves.

I have never been more unnerved by a book, and the complex stuff involved in reading it is just enough to make it that much more immersive. I literally didn't want to leave my house while I was reading it.

Yes-House of Leaves, and Salem's Lot for me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yeah, thought of that too. I was still a kid when I read it, so that might have amplified the horror. But it's also just a genuinely good written horror book.

Started to read a Lovecraft compilation recently, and while I like most of the stuff, I am not really feeling tension. But then again, I am way harder to scare compared to when I was a kid.

Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

I wrote my senior capstone on it in college. That book left me disturbed for weeks.

Read this as a senior in high school. After hundreds of pages of scalpings, massacres of indians, massacres of americans, babies hung in trees, fortune tellers predicting a devil amongst them, child molestations, homosexual rapes, slaughters of innocents, biblical imagery, more slayings, betrayal, etc etc, the single man responsible for a lot of this gets the greatest paragraph I've ever read in my life:

And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is the judge and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he’ll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, the judge. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling all at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

If I could have/remember nightmares, the judge dancing nakedly and smiling would rule suzerain over all of them. It still sends shivers up my spine just reading it, just thinking about it. You can read it and laugh, but put in the context of the book you believe him. You believe everything. Fuck, man, fuck. Even if it's not a real person (he is a real person) it's true anyways, fuck.

I remember a couple years ago I read 'I have no mouth and I must scream'.

The next day at my work place I tried to convince everyone to try it out, since reading it would barely take more than an hour. After couple of my coworkers said they not gonna read something like scary story written half a century ago - so I at least tried to explain them the basic plot. And they were all like ' yeah, but isn't **** stupid because ***'.
I never spoke about reading with them again.

I remember a couple years ago I read 'I have no mouth and I must scream'.

The next day at my work place I tried to convince everyone to try it out, since reading it would barely take more than an hour. After couple of my coworkers said they not gonna read something like scary story written half a century ago - so I at least tried to explain them the basic plot. And they were all like ' yeah, but isn't **** stupid because ***'.
I never spoke about reading with them again.

Hah. That's like the time I recommended In the Mouth of Madness to a new group of friends and they never talked to me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom