• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with all the new 3DS games that don't support 3D?

DR2K

Banned
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Dragon Quest 8
Super Mario Maker

Ever since the release of the improved N3DS, 3D has been a big deal to me. It's incredibly disheartening to see so many big games not even use the feature, or take advantage of the hardware boost added to the New 3DS models so they can at least try.

Any other major games coming up or major that will be omitting 3D completely?

I feel like once the 2DS became a reality, they realized they'd be limiting their potential userbase if 3D functionality had any real function in their games.

That and likely getting rid of it allowed them some extra power for other things.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The hardware of the 3DS is almost 5 years old and it was ancient at the time it was released in terms of processing power.

They need to get rid of the 3D to save up as much power as they can

JordanN

Banned
The hardware of the 3DS is almost 5 years old and it was ancient at the time it was released in terms of processing power.

They need to get rid of the 3D to save up as much power as they can

That sounds like a bad excuse. Why make it a 3DS game to begin with?

It's the only viable handheld system on the market currently, with a userbase of 50+ million systems.

Also, being a handheld game (the Switch changes things, but not counting it) essentially means your budget can be much smaller, which is very appealing to a lot of Japanese companies at the moment.

Also, pretty sure Japan still has more 3DS owners than any current or previous-gen console, if that's any further indication.

In addition to disabling it to take full advantage of the system's aging hardware, I reckon lack of 3D features in recent higher profile titles like Sun/Moon is also to make Switch seem superior in every way.

Switch wouldn't have the superior version in some people's eyes when it lacked 3D where prior versions didn't.

Duxxy3

Because the 2DS exists. Lowest common factor is 2d, not 3d.

Besides, the switch doesn't have 3D. If we ever get a successor to the 3DS it's unlikely to have 3D.

It was neat for some people, but it's not why people buy the system.

They using that power that would be allocated to 3d to run the games properly. Hardware is weak
Some of the best looking and most technically demanding games are 3D enabled though? Look at all the Capcom games, or the Zelda games, Kid Icarus, or 3D Land? etc. I think it's just developers not feeling it's a necessary feature to sell this far in the life of the system. Basically the reward isn't worth the extra work needed to get it working.

It's no longer a selling point for most folks, and devs would rather have more power to display the base game or don't have the time and resources to implement 3D.

JordanN

Banned
It's the only viable handheld system on the market currently, with a userbase of 50+ million systems.

Also, being a handheld game (the Switch changes things, but not counting it) essentially means your budget can be much smaller, which is very appealing to a lot of Japanese companies at the moment.

Also, pretty sure Japan still has more 3DS owners than any current or previous-gen console, if that's any further indication.

So then I'm confused how power is an issue if they're selling only to the base that supports 3D games?

Making a game within those specs would be part of that reality.

It was neat for some people, but it's not why people buy the system.
If you're a 2DS owner, then sure. That's why it exists.
But if you bought a 3DS/new 3DS then perhaps 3D support should be worth something because those systems make use of it?

Irminsul

Even more than no 3D I'm wondering about Super Mario Maker not being native res, at least on the old 3DS.

Probably because the game still has slowdowns with many objects on screen.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I don't think anyone uses it for more then a few seconds. It's not a very user friendly feature as it hurts your eyes if you have it on for two long.

It's a useless gimmick, plus it hurts your battery life.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nothing ? It always was a optional feature and most players dont care about it.

inner-G

Banned
I don't think anyone uses it for more then a few seconds. It's not a very user friendly feature as it hurts your eyes if you have it on for two long.

It's a useless gimmick, plus it hurts your battery life.
I use the 3D

It's not an issue if you have one of the 'new' 3DS models

It's a shame, too because 3DS games look like garbage in 2D. The extremely low resolution and huge jaggies are much more noticeable than in 3D where the edges are kind of 'softened'

K' Dash

The fact that they ported DQ VIII is impressive enough, those games you mention are pushing the hardware, it was expected.

JordanN

Banned
I use the 3D

It's not an issue if you have one of the 'new' 3DS models

It's a shame, too because 3DS games look like garbage in 2D. The extremely low resolution and huge jaggies are much more noticeable than in 3D where the edges are kind of 'softened'

It was the case in some games turning on 3D would disable AA, making it jaggier than 2D (though some developers got AA to run in both modes).

Outside of that though, I do agree games would look better in 3D, just because the added depth made for more immersion.

The fact that they ported DQ VIII is impressive enough, those games you mention are pushing the hardware, it was expected.

There have been other PS2 ports on the system. MGS3 supports 3D, although admittedly it has a below average frame rate.

OmegaFax

Even more than no 3D I'm wondering about Super Mario Maker not being native res, at least on the old 3DS.

Probably because the game still has slowdowns with many objects on screen.

Design decision. I think they wanted 1:1 pixels for the 2D Mario stages and a certain number of blocks to fit completely on screen.

Comet

It really sucks for people who use the 3D functionality. I personally can't remember the last time I've used 3D so it doesn't affect me. I'd rather have more graphical fidelity over 3D

Kysen

The power excuse is BS. All the MHs have had 3D support and are pushing visuals way more complex than the majority of the 3DSs library. Seems like only Capcom gives a damn.

Celine

Pokemon S/M is going to sell 15M+, SMM will sell million of units, Dragon Quest VIII for 3DS has sold 900K+ in Japan.
That's why such publishers decided to make those games for 3DS.

So then I'm confused how power is an issue if they're selling only to the base that supports 3D games?

Making a game within those specs would be part of that reality.

The reality it seems is that the amount of users who are griping about no 3D support isn't enough for developers to ensure games reduce other details to support the 3D functionality, which was not only optional from the beginning (the slider could be turned OFF), they now sell a SKU with no 3D capability, so why would you ever make 3D a selling point where a sizable portion of your userbase will never be able to use it?

Yes, it's sad. When you look at games like RE Revelations or Xenoblade 3D, there's no excuse.

Yes exactly. And if 2DS and regular 3DS are also able to run the same game like DVIII, Mario Maker etc. then New 3DS should not struggle to run the same games with 3D. Or what is the extra power used for then?

Vitacat

Possibly to make people forget the 3D feature, since Switch won't have it?

And yes, I know a bunch of you never liked it etc. but some of us do/did.

Also, there is no way I'll be believe some of these newer games couldn't handle 3D on the New 3DS. It was a calculated, purposeful omission IMO.

Siege.exe

3D was a mistake, felt really bummed/vindicated when the 2DS was announced after years of people insisting that there would never be a 3D-less option and telling me to just get a DS instead.

Caelus

I'm still impressed by how much Ocarina 3D pushed the system, it even had anti-aliasing with 3D off and had cool 3D effects.

-Setsuna-

To my surprise, Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World has 3D support and runs at 60fps on New 3DS (30 on OG). At least, they're making a tiny bit of effort on this one...

I hope Pikmin 3DS has the 3D effect. I can't imagine it wouldn't, but you never know.

Also it's a bit sad that the first thing that pops up when I Google Pikmin 3DS is a petition to have it canceled. It's a different take on the series, not the next full game. A full normal RTS Pikmin on the 3ds would probably look terrible with the systems low resolution.

gblues

Banned
The lack of effort to leverage the N3DS spec bump is extremely disappointing. Basically the only way Pokemon Sun/Moon benefits is from faster loading and not having to boot the system into low-memory mode (a la Smash 4) when played on OG 3DS. They could have pushed demand for N3DS by having PSS as a N3DS-exclusive feature in Sun/Moon.

dogen

I'm still impressed by how much Ocarina 3D pushed the system, it even had anti-aliasing with 3D off and had cool 3D effects.

Well, I don't think it's hard to do that in non 3D mode. The screen displays half the horizontal pixels, so if your game runs fine in 3D, you could just use those extra pixels for some supersampling in 2D.

RE:Revalations did the same thing.

What's up with all of the DS games that don't do anything with the second screen?
What's up with the Wii games that abandoned motion control?
What's up with the wholesale abandoning of motion plus?
What's up with the Wii u tablet not being the focus of any games?

Nintendo's various gimmicks fall by the wayside. Luckily they make many great games, but the last few gens they completely abandon the supposedly key features of their hardware.

Khrno

3D was always a fad, good riddance. I never played a 3DS game with 3D on, it always looked like shite. 2D displays is what's best.

Top Bottom