• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with the lines of dialog in Battlefield 3?

I love me some swearing, but the soldiers in Battlefield 3 sound like fifth graders who just discovered the fuck word. They also really don't like sodomy!

"I'M GETTING FUCKED UP THE ASS OVER HERE"

There are also those really weird bloodthirsty lines that pop up every now and then, that really lack conviction.

"I'M GONNA KILL EM ALLLL"

I am currently playing this game and I have to say that the campaign is really bad, it's maybe the most "corridoresque" and badly scripted FPS I have ever played.

Really, I died twice yesterday because I "left the battlefield" when all I did was jump a fence and move behind some walls so I could snipe the enemy from a better angle. Then on another level I had to crawl on the ground and walk completely straight for like a minute without anything happening at all. Really disappointing so far.

Does it get better? Do people only play this for the online component or what?

I am currently playing this game and I have to say that the campaign is really bad, it's maybe the most "corridoresque" and badly scripted FPS I have ever played.

Really, I died twice yesterday because I "left the battlefield" when all I did was jump a fence and move behind some walls so I could snipe the enemy from a better angle. Then on another level I had to crawl on the ground and walk completely straight for like a minute without anything happening at all. Really disappointing so far.

Stop now and go to the online part asap. It only gets worse.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Worst SP experience ever.

People mostly only play online.

Mupod

jEz2hAEryd8l9.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
I love how over-the-top frantic and paniced they sound, the voice acting itself is aces.

I do agree there's a lot of juvenile [is it?] language that's not really necessary. I just think it's to give a "wink" to the otherwise very serious tone of the game itself.

Antitrop, we all know you ran through Iraq on the last days screaming "KILL FUCKING CONFIRMED!" for no reason. Just admit it lol :D

Marvel

could never
I love BF3, it's all I play currently, but my fucking god is that dialog if you can call it that atrocious. I have to turn down the volume when my GF walks past out of embarrassment man. It's too much.

Kade

The absurd stereotyping of military speech in video games bothers me to no end. Medal of Honor: Warfighter was far, far worse than BF3 in this regard, especially.

I did two tours in Iraq and never once did I hear "Stay Frosty". Not even ironically, like as a joke or anything. Nobody ever said anything like that, we just talked like normal human beings.

Video games don't properly display the amount of sarcasm and the complete lack of seriousness that is necessary to get through combat. Not everything is serious all the time, but in a video game it makes it look and sound... really... I don't even know how to put it. Organized?

I didn't know you served in the military. Adds more context to your arguments against MoH.

The absurd stereotyping of military speech in video games bothers me to no end. Medal of Honor: Warfighter was far, far worse than BF3 in this regard, especially.

I did two tours in Iraq and never once did I hear "Stay Frosty". Not even ironically, like as a joke or anything. Nobody ever said anything like that, we just talked like normal human beings.

Video games don't properly display the amount of sarcasm and the complete lack of seriousness that is necessary to get through combat. Not everything is serious all the time, but in a video game it makes it look and sound... really... I don't even know how to put it. Organized?

Love the insight from a combat veteran. I know plenty of Iraq veterans who are offended by the Modern Military Shooter in general.

Read OP, it's unintendedly hilarious, but I grew attached to the lines of dialog in the French version, we tend to find it vulgar albeit less offensive than what a English-speaker would think of the lines in OP. Translation not always perfect/acurate :
IIRC my favourites :
Grenade ! J'vais allumer cette bande d'enfoirés !
Grenade ! I'm going to blow up this team of bastards !

Eh les gars, sortez-vous les doigts du cul, on est en train de se faire défoncer !
Hey people, get out your fingers out of your ass, we're getting curb stomped !

J'vais en faire de la bouffe pour chien !
I'm going to make dog food out of him !

J'suis médecin, j'peux vous aider !
Imma doctor, me can help ya !

On les as eu ! Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre !
We got them ! Fuck them !

J'pose du C4 pour faire sauter ces fils de pute !
Setting C4 to blow up these sons of bitches ! (what's funny here is how quick the VA escalated in his line lol

Putain j'ai besoin de munitions !
Fuck I need ammo ! (first time I heard it I thought a player actually said it lol)

I don't think I've heard something REALLY offensive though...

Dave1988

BF3 is the only game that I can think of where I play it exclusively with the Polish dubbing on whereas in 99% of the games I play I always tend to prefer the original voice track. It also features excessive swearing yet it somehow feels much more natural than the OG voice track which sounded pretty forced to me.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I've never been in the armed forces, have you?

I mean, I've seen Generation Kill which is supposedly quite accurate--and that kinda shit is 100% spot on.

antitrop

Apparently in their research DICE found that US Marines are constantly at risk of having things shoved in, up, or on their asses.
No, that's the Navy.
I'm going to tell a little story.

During vehicular patrols my roll was humvee turret gunner (usually a 50cal, sometimes a m240, MK-19 when I was super lucky). All the Marines in my truck came up with a game called the "Australian Peel", which basically involved them trying to ram shit up my ass while the top half of my body was sticking out the roof. Dump a bottle of water on them or something to get them to stop.

I love the dialog and I find it hilarious.

"Look at that cocksucker with that machine gun!"

"I'm getting fucked up the ass over here"

I think the dialog is BFBC2 was better though especially when you killed someone who just killed your teammate he would say "What goes around comes around bitch"

Yasae

Banned

During vehicular patrols my roll was humvee turret gunner (usually a 50cal, sometimes a m240, MK-19 when I was super lucky). All the Marines in my truck came up with a game called the "Australian Peel", which basically involved them trying to ram shit up my ass while the top half of my body was sticking out the roof. Dump a bottle of water on them or something to get them to stop.
So... The BF3 dialogue is accurate, just not when you're getting shot at.

the single player was shoehorned in unnecessarily, battlefields really just about the multiplayer. I miss the days when they didn't even bother with a campaign.

MikeDown

Banned
Never been in a combat situation, but I would think if you are tying to quickly communicate something to your squadmate quickly you wouldn't make the message longer and more broad by adding all that colorful dialogue. But then again iv'e never been in the military

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

Goddamnit I know this game I hate this game lol. It's like the "Warcraft kid" game :p

Birathen

Is this in the console version too? I never noticed. But then again I don't have the volume up very high. Might have missed it. It hilarious thou :)

I just remember Bad Company 1 and 2 had better voice work done for them. The actors sounded a bit more professional too. The US soldiers saying "Errrr" while saying things is annoying as hell and russian accents are terrible...it sounds like their trying to put on a bad french accent. It just doesnt sound right.

FeiRR

Banned
Come on guys, some of you are acting like Battlefield is a military sim. It doesn't take 20 bullets to kill somebody in reality. What about deathmatch? Two dozens of men running around some dock full of containers or such and killing each other then resurrecting to repeat the process. How about being revived with a defibrillator? You want some military lingo, I guess you should try ArmA or Operation Flashpoint. There's a balance between reality and fun DICE have to keep. I think they even said that explicitly in an interview.

Top Bottom