• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Final Fantasy Job?

Baleoce

Puppetmaster ERR' DAY. Fight me irl m8.

puppet.jpg

Monk. I've always loved fistfighters in games, Yang is a badass and I main it in FFXIV. Blue Mages are high up on my list as well.

Man the Aht Urhgan jobs always looked so awesome visually. Blue mage and and Puppetmaster artifacts were some of my favorite looking ones.

Loved playing as black mage or ninja though.

Getting skills in XI was so so fun. Wandering to some far away dangerous place. Most likely alone. Maybe you'd find another BLU trying to learn the same spell and you buddy up for a while. Made some good friends that way.

Similar experience here :D playing the Blue Mage was a blast.

I was always the sucker to play support roles. Just felt meaningful to me. Especially in FF11.

So White Mage first.

Summoner second.

I used to not like Blue Magic as a kid because of how hard it was to get rolling but nowadays I realize that when you put in enough effort, the pay off is really cool.

Azuran

Banned
Man the Aht Urhgan jobs always looked so awesome visually. Blue mage and and Puppetmaster artifacts were some of my favorite looking ones.

Loved playing as black mage or ninja though.

How can you exclude Corsairs?! They had the best looks in Aht Urhgan. Only reason I even leveled that job was because I wanted to wear sexy pirate gear when idle. Their Abyssea set was amazing.

SkyOdin

I'm a big fan of Paladin. Final Fantasy IV was the first RPG I really got into, so Cecil was a favorite of mine for a long time. Furthermore, I really love tanking as a Paladin in FFXIV. Knight is one of the classes that is almost always useful to have.

Past that though, I really like some of the more atypical Jobs from the series. Chemist/Salve Maker is one of those consistantly powerful Jobs that is way too easy to overlook.

Ultratech

Blue Mage - Toss the enemy's crap back at 'em!

Summoner - So I can summon Bahamut to blow enemies up. :D

Monk - Beat enemies with your bare hands.

Dragoon - DEATH FROM ABOVE! Plus Spears are pretty awesome too.

KeigoNiwa

I really liked Geomancer in FF III The ability to use magic without MP based on the terrain you're in was pretty awesome.

Keyin

Neo Member
Black Mage for life! Gettin' dem sweet magic bursts off skill chains in FFXI was the best. Not to mention, as a Taru the "cuteness" to "kill things" ratio was off the charts.

Perusing this thread, it makes me so happy to see all the FFXI references. So many great memories from that game, no MMO has matched it for me to date.

x-raze

250px-PUPAF2.png

1) Puppetmaster: We get a lot of flack for stealing the LOL title from loldrg, but I'd say we're pretty versatile! Plus the automatons are so cute!

2) Summoner

3) White Mage: I had to play healer because none of my friends wanted to in PTs, I played it for so long that I eventually loved it. Stockholm'd for sure -_-

4) Dark Knight

5) Red Mage

frequency

Getting skills in XI was so so fun. Wandering to some far away dangerous place. Most likely alone. Maybe you'd find another BLU trying to learn the same spell and you buddy up for a while. Made some good friends that way.

The idea of getting skills is fun. But in practice you just stand there and let some monster whack at you while you tab out and browse the internet.

Malrend

Mystic Knight/Sword Mage/whatever other names they've had.

Sword Magic is great.. Even more so when you've gotten to the point where you can dual wield on non-Ninja jobs. Exploit all the weaknesses!

Summoner is pretty darn close as well, glass cannons of epic proportions, unless it is one of those games where the Summon actually remains active until recalled (post-FFX) then it is even better! Getting to command huge-ass birds, and mermaids, and dragon kings and so on. Too good.

And as an honourable mention, even if plenty of others have already mentioned it.. Blue Mage is cool.

Nottle

It's pretty hard for me to choose and made it very hard to advance in ff14 because I always wanted to be something else.

To me Ninjas, Mystic Knights, monks, regular Knights, white mages and Dragoons are always classes I want around.

FFT made me hate a lot of Mage classes because of the long charge time. A ninja always did the job better in my experience.

Mystic Knights are very underrepresented. IIRC Celes qualifies as one along with maybe a few FFT guests and the combined powers of Vivi and Steiner. Love that they borrowed Minwu's dope design.

Monks are always around in the series until FF10. They are so good early game and have had great representation with Joseph, Yang, Sabin, Tifa, Zell, and Amarant.

Ninjas also have been around and are usually the best class in the game and have some cool characters like Edge, Shadow and Yuffie. We need another ninja main character.

Depending on the game Dragoons are pretty good. Never used them much in FFV. I like the characters that have the dragoon role.

Regular ass Knights and white mages are perhaps nothing fancy, but always reliable to do their job. What main characters are considered a pure knight is a little blurry becaus they will sometimes take elements from other subtypes of Knights to be more interesting. Steiner sticks out as being just a good Knight ass knight. White mages are a little more obvious. While had the white magic spells and some sort of staff or long range weapon. Typically the love interest.

I think if I picked up ff14 again I'd go with monk over my initial choice of dragoon. There are just so many badass monks in the series. Hoping we can return to a day where the ff games have characters with customizable yet defined jobs like FF10, 9 or 6. I want to look at the next black Mage and say "hey that's the black Mage" even if it's not wearing the hat. Sort of like Lulu.

I think I like Black Mage the most. Aesthetically I just think they have a really nice design most of the time. Just look like Jawas shootin' fireballs. I like Time Mages a lot too, but that's more for their usefulness in combat rather than how they look.

Lunafreya

White Mage! I absolutely love their spells/aesthetics and overall serene presence. I've always had a WHM in my parties. In XIV I've put up around 4000 hours on a WHM since its my main role I really like Dragoons too.

Dragoon has always been my favorite except for in Tactics where the Calculator can destroy everyone on the battlefield all by himself.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Archer/Bard for me!

Thou I wouldn't mind if Square-Enix would add Puppetmaster to FFXIV

Genz

Neo Member
Dragoon.
But the true Dragoon ; the one who can actually avoid any attack by jumping in the sky.

Also Blue Mage and Beastmaster. Fighting with the opponents' weapons is always fun.

Baha

Orlandu was a Sword Saint right? I'll go with that.

Sword Saint has the strongest stat gains of all jobs in the game—physically exceptional and magically competent, as well with high HP—it has versatile equipment options, able to equip not only helmets and armor but hats, clothes, and robes. Though only swords and knight swords will allow Orlandeau access to the job's abilities, he can also equip daggers, ninja blades, and katana, indicating his mastery of swordplay. It costs 5,250 JP to master this Job.

Top Bottom