• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite stuffed meat in flour crust dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Doesn't have to be meat based, but across many culinary traditions there's usually a dish that is stuffed with meat, fish, poultry, cheese, or legumes, and wrapped in a starch.

Some examples

Italian: Ravioli/Stromboli
Chinese: Shao Mai and Guo Tie (Dumplings)
Eastern/Central Europe: Pierogies
Central and South America: Arepas (savory stuffed corn cakes)
Japan: Gyoza (Dumplings)
Mexico: Tamales
Latin America: Pasteles/Empanadas
Spain: Papas Rellenas (Stuffed and fried potato balls)
India: Samosas

I love these kinds of foods. I'm partial to the Samosa and Chinese style dumplings.

I can get pretty good Tamales from older Mexican ladies who sell them on the sidewalk. Cheap, tasty and filling.

What's your favorite "stuffed meat flour thing"?

Anyone I missed? Feel free to add to the list.

wetwired

Australia: Sausage Rolls

25316_l.jpg

RM8

Tamales don't really count, the dough is the main part of the dish! Fried quesadillas from central Mexico are a better fit for this thread:

quecas-queso-carne-y-hutlacoche.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Soup dumplings.

Samosas at a close second.

way more

You forgot the scotch egg. Hard boiled egg wrapped in meat with a dusting of bread crumbs, deep fried.

Scotch_Eggs.jpg

Fou-Lu

Pierogies or whatever you feel like calling them are by far my favorite. The Polish and Ukrainian ancestry probably has something to do with that.

RM8

Huh?

These are ones I have.

417213.jpg

Pretty clear meat stuffing.
Well, those do count indeed. I've had those, but most tamales look like this around here:

tamal_chile_verde_hidalgo_5c4deca04f5c9c8927e151f2e8f71beb.jpg

And the sweet ones are not even filled with anything (sadly, they're fatally flawed by having raisins most of the time).

Meat in dough is probably my favorite thing ever. Hard to pick a favorite, really.

One I don't get to enjoy as regularly as I'd like is curry puffs:

qSEmgRa.jpg

∀ Narayan;178058777 said:
Beef Wellington - This one tops the list for me. Beyond divine if made properly.

beef-wellington-imagezir4v.jpg

Oh, god yes. There's only one place near me that makes it (to my knowledge), but boy do they make it well. So good.

But it's not! It's like cake - it has a filling, but the filling is not supposed to be the "protagonist" like it would be on a pie.

Its the color ha-ha.

I help my mom make tamales every Christmas. When we make the meat, the juice it is brazed in we put some of that in the masa to give it flavor, so the masa is a orange/reddish color when it is done cooking.

entremet

∀ Narayan;178058777 said:
Beef Wellington - This one tops the list for me. Beyond divine if made properly.

beef-wellington-imagezir4v.jpg

For me, this would be incredible with a soft-boiled egg.

I've made this before. It's a weekend project lol. Well more of a weekend afternoon or so. At least for the first time.

It's also pricey since good beef tenderloin ain't cheap.

RM8

Its the color ha-ha.

I help my mom make tamales every Christmas. When we make the meat, the juice is brazed in we put some of that in the masa on to give it flavor, so the masa is a orange/reddish color when it is done cooking.
Yeah, I agree that the color is not very appealing, lol.
---

BTW I'm going to nominate Japanese butaman.

Oh gawd, it's so good.

Apt101

I had a proper meat patty when I visited the Caribbean, from a (I'm told) popular Jamaican chef - he's been on TV apparently. It was lordly. I mean, it made those frozen things one can buy at supermarkets seem like dogfood in comparison.

Edit: I forgot Siopao. The best.

way more

Well, those do count indeed. I've had those, but most tamales look like this around here:

tamal_chile_verde_hidalgo_5c4deca04f5c9c8927e151f2e8f71beb.jpg

And the sweet ones are not even filled with anything (sadly, they're fatally flawed by having raisins most of the time).

sun_maid_6_pack-2.jpg

WTF, where do you live, 13th century Europe? What else do they put in tamales, prunes, cloves, and figs?

injurai

Banned
pastie.jpg

Pastie's are great. This thread is basically just about the greatest food group in existence so it's hard to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom