• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite stuffed meat in flour crust dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, those do count indeed. I've had those, but most tamales look like this around here:

tamal_chile_verde_hidalgo_5c4deca04f5c9c8927e151f2e8f71beb.jpg

And the sweet ones are not even filled with anything (sadly, they're fatally flawed by having raisins most of the time).

I'm Mexican, from the North if that matters, and I gotta say that I detest tamales like these.
It really has to be a perfect ratio of the masa and the filling. Too much masa and all I'm doing is pre-preemptively clogging my ass with little upside in the flavor department. Too much filling and it defeats the purpose of a tamale.

I'm not a picky eater, but it drives me insane when I order a tamale and it ends up being that dry masa grenade. Or when somebody brings home a bag full of tamales and they're all sweet corn tamales for like the 20th time.

shink

Meat in dough is probably my favorite thing ever. Hard to pick a favorite, really.

One I don't get to enjoy as regularly as I'd like is curry puffs:

qSEmgRa.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the deep fried variety. Using puff pastry + oven baked is delicious.

Paskil

pastie.jpg

Pastie's are great. This thread is basically just about the greatest food group in existence so it's hard to choose.

These are great and were my first thought, but there's a little Mexican place by me that makes the best pastor I've ever eaten. The make a chimichunga that is just full of meat and deliciousness. Their beans are also larded up, I'm sure.

Their gorditas are also ridiculous.

ls.jpg

Fou-Lu

What's the filling usually?

Depends. Usually potatoes are involved, but then you can have various kinds of meat like bacon, ground beef or pork, etc. This is usually accented with seasonings, cheese and/or onion. But there are also dessert pierogies which are amazing and contain berries and sometimes cheese.

Chunky

Nothing beats a good ol' cornish pasty. If you're ever down in Exeter/Plymouth look out for Ivor Dewdneys, best fucking pasties in the world. This thread's got me in the mood for a pasty, terribly unhealthy, but just thinking about it's got my mouth watering.

I was looking for pasty pics and thought this was pretty hilarious
Anna_with_Whopper.jpg

Get that down you son!

You forgot the scotch egg. Hard boiled egg wrapped in meat with a dusting of bread crumbs, deep fried.

Scotch_Eggs.jpg
I take these one step further baking it as a croquette/scotch egg hybrid so it's a panko crust outside then fluffy mash potatoes with breakfast sausage and the center is sliced boiled egg (I tried it with quail eggs, made the scotch croquette too big) So fucking good esp with a bit of peppery sausage white gravy

Damn chicken flu making eggs expensive

Meat+Carbs. I can't rank this! Love all of them.

Empanadas, Beef Patties+Coco Bread (two layers of carbs!), Samosas, Tempura, Pieroski.

The latest thing I'm liking is mini minced beef wellingtons

Get some puff pastry from the shop. That pre-rolled frozen stuff. Chefs use it so it's good enough for me

A carrot
Red onion
Garlic

Shallow fry all the above for 10 minutes chopped into the smallest of pieces
(can add more vegetables and take meat/later options out to pad)
Until all nice and soft.

After 10 minutes drop in some cumin and chili powder to taste

Allow to cool

Once cool, add to a large mixing bowl with a tin of drained kidney beans and about 250g of beef mince & one egg.

Get your hands stuck in and scrunch it all together.

Allow to rest

Roll out pastry to about the size of a tea towel - cut into 4 equal sections
split mix out, baste the pastry
seal and make pretty
cook for circa 30 minutes

Nom

jonno394

1. Cornish Pasties
2. Samosa
3. Sausage Rolls

Samosa are heavenly but they can't be a legitimate Cornish pasty!

Pacbois

Went to a music festival in Brittany last month, and the most popular snack there was the Galette-Saucisse, a sausage wrapped in a buckwheat crepe, with some mustard. Not exactly a crust (even though the crepe can be cripsy) but cheap, filling and tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom