• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite system Pre NES?

This is for all the old school here... (inspired by the other console thread) :p

Mine:

cvlogo.gif

PLAY_0043.jpg

GamePack1_Cover.jpg

colecovision.jpg

Coleco_Expansion_Module_2.JPG

Coleco_Expansion_Module_2b.JPG

Mach_-_Colecovision_Super_action_controllers.jpg

ER_UR_Colecovision_xonox.JPG
<-----Miner 2049er = :ROCK

Doth Togo

As a kid in elementary school in the 1980s, I played (and still own) an Intellivision. Not sure if it's worth anything nowadays.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, as far as consoles are concerned, gaming didn't really pick up until the NES. Prior to the NES, most console games were EXTREMELY simplistic affairs and simply lacked any lengthy entertainment value. I played some and had a good time, I suppose (OK, so I DID enjoy a lot of those old games back in the day)...but I can't look back at any of them and claim that I still enjoy them at all. I mean, Super Mario Bros. is still a fun game...but I pretty much hate everything on the 2600 or similar machines.

I had more fun with various computers before that...

Ristamar

My exposure was a bit limited in regard to pre-NES systems, but I'd say Intellivision.

EDIT: Realistically, I should say the 2600 since that's what I owned and enjoyed for years, but my cousin's Intellivision was sweet.

Seth C

Atari 2600, easily. Played a ton of Night Driver, Haunted House, Break Out, Defender, Space Invaders, Laser Blast, Barnstorming, and Pitfall.

Oh, and how could I forget Boxing, Tennis and Skiing?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what did the 2600 offer more than the 5200?

After the big jump in arcade graphics, it took a lot to play 8 bit machines.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
dark10x said:
Honestly, as far as consoles are concerned, gaming didn't really pick up until the NES. Prior to the NES, most console games were EXTREMELY simplistic affairs and simply lacked any lengthy entertainment value. I played some and had a good time, I suppose...but I can't look back at any of them and claim that I still enjoy them at all. I mean, Super Mario Bros. is still a fun game...but I pretty much hate everything on the 2600 or similar machines.

I had more fun with various computers before that...

Bugertime, Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Popeye, Smurf Rescue, Galaxian, and Zaxxon for Colecovision used to entertain me for hours on end. And I still find Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and the various PacMans (which weren't released for Colecovision) entertaining. We definitely were not cut from the same cloth. Different strokes I suppose.

Kandinsky

Atari 2600 and Commodore64, I played to no end games like Boulder Dash!, Combat, Space Invaders, Gyruss, Impossible Mission, Montezuma(sp?), Decathlon and Spy Hunter.

Kuramu

2600, because of all the games i loved for that thing. Pitfall, Pitfall II, HERO, Frogs 'n Flies, Demon Attack, Grand Prix, Adventure, Target Fun, Combat, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Infiltrate, Revenge of Yar, Warlords. Pitfall has all the elements of a modern platformer

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JC10001 said:
Bugertime, Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Popeye, Smurf Rescue, Galaxian, and Zaxxon for Colecovision used to entertain me for hours on end. And I still find Q*Bert, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and the various PacMans (which weren't released for Colecovision) entertaining. We definitely were not cut from the same cloth. Different strokes I suppose.

Sure, those are classics and I suppose I don't dislike them...but quite frankly, I would be unable to enjoy any one of those for more than 5 minutes these days. Those single screen games with simple goals just don't do it for me. Gaming never took off for me until the NES was released. Different strokes indeed!

Like I said above, though...I did enjoy the C64 (at least the games I played on C64 were rather different from what I had played on the 2600).

evil ways

Before the Nes I only had an Atari 2600 and a Sega Master System, so I'll go with the Master System.

Zillion, Kung Fu Kid, Black Belt, Ghost House, Rambo II, Rocky, Aztec Adventure, and Gollvelius. Nothing could go wrong with those games.

dark10x said:
Sure, those are classics and I suppose I don't dislike them...but quite frankly, I would be unable to enjoy any one of those for more than 5 minutes these days. Those single screen games with simple goals just don't do it for me. Gaming never took off for me until the NES was released. Different strokes indeed!

Like I said above, though...I did enjoy the C64 (at least the games I played on C64 were rather different from what I had played on the 2600).

I'm in the same boat as you Dark.... A simplistic game from the early 80's usually can't hold my attention very long. But back in the day, when it was fresh and cutting edge, I loved it. All my friends had Atari. But I skipped that shit and bought a coleco. I loved it so much. To this day I have fond memories of that game system. I had this cool rollerball controller that I used all the time, and all the accessories, tons of great games...

Damn... that was when life was simple.

*cries*

ps- Then Nintendo came along and showed me what a videogame system should REALLY be like.. *bows*

User 406

Banned
dark10x said:

Ah, then what you need is the Intellivision. ;) Here's a few:

B-17 Bomber: Fly missions from your base in England across the channel to bomb various enemy installations. As well as flying the plane to avoid flak from AA guns, you also switch to gunnery positions in the plane to shoot at incoming bogies. When you reach your target, you have to switch to the bomb bay and line up the crosshairs to do the most damage. Missions take a bit of planning due to fuel and bomb weight. Synthesized voices warn you of incoming enemies, flak, and when you get close to the target.

Treasure of Tarmin: A 3D dungeon crawl that goes down 256 levels. Start with a simple bow and a few arrows, and obtain lots of weapons, items, and loot on your way down to battle the Minotaur and take the treasure of Tarmin. Increase your stats with various magical items and armor.

Utopia: Arguably the first of the "sim" genre of games, you are in control of an island. Make your society grow with farms, factories, hospitals, fishing boats and other services while dealing with natural disasters and the depradations of your opponent's island country.

Tower of Doom: Another dungeon crawl, this time with a 2D overhead perspective, but with a much deeper item/stat system. Items you encounter for the first time are unidentified. Pretty long and involved.

Space Spartans: Place and defend your starbases on the galactic map from waves of alien attackers. Your ship can hyper between sectors to do battle and then return to the starbases to repair and refuel. You also have to perform damage control on various ship systems during battle as you take damage. The ships computer will talk to you to keep you abreast of your current status.

So they weren't all just single screen omg shoot the approaching blobs games, there were plenty with a good bit more complexity. But that's to be expected from the almighty INTELLIVISION! INTELLIGENT TELEVISION!

Dujour

Banned
For me, the Sega Master system. And whichever Atari had Jungle Hunt. That game rocked so hard and kicked my ass without rest.

Ecrofirt

I loved C64 when I was a little kid.

I've got an emulator now, but I'll be damned if I remember how to do anything.

I own a couple Atari 2600's, so I'll go with that. I've only played an Intellivision otherwise, but not enough to call it a favorite.

I still play Atari games sometimes. I love Kaboom!, Freeway, Dragonfire and a few others I can never remember the name of.

There was this game called Big Bird's Egg Catch which I still think is the best Atari 2600 game ever.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Atari 5200. I didn't get a NES in the 80s though; we got an Apple IIgs instead. :)

Dujour

Banned
My bros got the C64 after the nintendo, but it had this one really cool game in it called Infiltrator II. I don't know what it was about that game, the stickfigure men, the stealth aspect of it (tactical espionage action :D) or the THUD when you'd get caught. Anyone play/remember that game? :/

I also haven't a clue how to start those games. I used to know. Ghostbusters used to rock, too.

EekTheKat

Heh I guess the answer would be the old Apple IIe

Old school Ultima ( I,II, and to some extent III) was good fun back then.

LakeEarth

Funny thing about the Coleco was I HAD all those accesories. The wheel, the Rocky 'boxing' controller... good ass times!

robot

C64 was the best. Friday the 13th used to scare the livin shit out of me. G.I Joe rocked ass. And my brother was the master at Bruce Lee....what a crazy ass game that was.

Ranger X

Atari 2600

Pacman, Donkey Kong, Enduro, Pitfall, River Raid, Keystone Keeper and Freeway are timeless games i still play today!!

Top Bottom