• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite visual "thing"?

Water
Rain/Thunderstorms
Dynamic lighting
Day and night cycles
Lens flare
Glossy and shiny surfaces
Particle effects
Beautiful non-low-res skyboxes

thebeeks

Banned
Animation smears.

If done wrong, they make the animation look cheap and the characters look jello-y.

If done right, I dunno, there's just something about a good smear.

9fKvcS9.gif

vGUYpXP.gif

Crisp, blocky geometry and simple visual effects like the Source engine or Quake 3 engine. Fuck postprocessing bullshit, dust clouds and rain and snow effects, Crysis like vegetation fetishes and overly dark, dynamically lighted Doom 3 design. It's a bunch of crap that gets in the way of gameplay.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Water
Rain/Thunderstorms
Dynamic lighting
Day and night cycles
Lens flare
Glossy and shiny surfaces
Particle effects
Beautiful non-low-res skyboxes
Everything listed here.

Snow and ice.

phendrana-drifts.png

news_H3_LegDLC_Avalanche02.jpg

blizzardbback1.png

Shiny caves. Mushrooms are nice, but crystals or lights work too.

Un%2527Goro+Crater+-+Crystal+Cave.jpg

Aspio.jpg

On that note, mushroom areas in general.

Mushroomhillzone.png

80805-6.jpg

Also, 2D spritework. I'm not just talking about the top of the line, gorgeous Vanillaware-esque sprites, but anything that manages to look nice. This should actually be at the top of my list. I could show any number of images, but I will say that 2D fighting games usually have fantastic sprite animations.

But even stuff like this:
tales_of_rebirth_002.jpg

Maybe because I grew up with games like Super Mario RPG and Star Ocean 2. I know I'm not the only one, though.

PSYGN

Metal Slug... the ridiculously detailed pixel art and aniimation. I also like the chunkiness and compacted look of the machinery...

tumblr_mjhpqoFv411qinvcfo1_400.gif
tumblr_mfxmsqqJuO1qa08e3o1_250.gif
tumblr_meh90hB1Dz1qbayujo1_400.gif
tumblr_meddzb1eNS1rku2gvo1_400.gif

Their explosions were also fantastic:

ngbbs446c92cd25f0f.gif

Top Bottom