• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your Mario Kart Wii wishlist?

ninge

General stuff:

- normal and double dash modes
- normal uses the controller like excite truck does
- double dash has the second player pointing to use powerups / target shells etc (in online games this could be split screen to allow 360 degree aiming? seems a shame to not have that in offline tho...)
- no crazy carts in mormal mode, make it all about the character selection and players skill
- Handling from the DS version but limit the number of powerslides per lap? (this needs more thought hehe)
- no character specific powerups
- Drop the blue shells or make them avoidable with skill
- Slightly reduce the chance of lower players getting "cheap" power-ups like the lightning and blue shells
- Return of the feather (see later)

Track design:

- DS had a brilliant mix of tracks, but still needs more!
- Include "classic cups" that feature ALL the tracks from previous games - this should be a no-brainer really and will please everyone!
- Exploit 3D more - more overpasses and shortcuts that allow players to use the feather / jumps to reach paths that would otherwise be inaccesible

Multiplayer:

- all tracks available in multiplayer
- up to 8 players online in races and battles
- same system as the DS version for selecting opponents (random or friends code)
- custom GPs as well as random track selection and voted selection
- all the classic multiplayer maps should be present (block fort etc)
- balloon battle mode
- capture the flag (using much larger than normal battle maps - think like a huge multi-story carpark complex, inside a shopping mall, underground complex etc)
- sole surviver mode - everyone vs one player, use your skills and powerups to escape

Online features:

- optional voice comunication
- fastest lap world record ranking
- number of wins / losses records (with disconnects / drop outs counted as such so people can spot players that constantly disconnect)
- top ranking battle mode players
- share ghosts
- watch other races / battles in progress (gotham TV style)
- Monthly / weekly events - tournaments you can register to enter and then have knock outs until a winner is found consisting of custom GPs / battles etc
- downloadable tracks
- downloadable characters / custom characters for top players & tournament winners
- ability to earn your own custom characters by beating other players that have won them to encourage challenging the top players

I think the pointing could be fun for a Double Dash co-op mode anyway, where you have to really "aim" where you're firing your shells/items.

Would probably make that whole process a bit more skill based as well.

SuomiDude

Polari said:
Handling like in the DS one. The handling in Double Dash ruined the game like nothing else could.

The sliding in MKDS sucks. In MK: DD!! it's almost perfect. Actually DD!! probably has the best controls in the whole series as well as physics.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I want Mario Kart - Double Dash!! - Part 2 with more characters, more tracks, and more items.

What can I say? I really enjoyed Double Dash. I liked the character-specific special moves and tagging characters in and out to store multiple items. I think both added a lot of strategy to the game. For me, Mario Kart is all about the items and they seemed to be way more frequently used in DD than any other Mario Kart game. This makes the races more frantic, exciting, and fun IMO. No one likes getting hit by the lightning bolt or the blue shell but I wouldn't take them out of the game. They are there to keep things interesting. If you have friends over lots of times they won't want to play if there is no chance they can win every once in a while. These items add more to the game than they take away IMO. Besides, if you are really good at the game you are still going to win the majority of races anyway.

SuomiDude

Baron Aloha said:
For me, Mario Kart is all about the items and they seemed to be way more frequently used in DD than any other Mario Kart game. This makes the races more frantic, exciting, and fun IMO. No one likes getting hit by the lightning bolt or the blue shell but I wouldn't take them out of the game. They are there to keep things interesting. If you have friends over lots of times they won't want to play if there is no chance they can win every once in a while. These items add more to the game than they take away IMO. Besides, if you are really good at the game you are still going to win the majority of races anyway.

Isn't there an option in MK: DD!! to turn off the items all together? I'd suggest some people try it out and see if it's any fun... I don't think I could enjoy it much if at all.

And yeah, like you said, if you're good enough, you're going to win the races anyway, no matter if there's 3 blue shells and couple of red shells aimed at you. I know I am that good. The few times I haven't come up 1st in the Cups is because I do some strange mistakes, which are all MY fault. Like I see there's a banana on the bridge in DK Mountain, and I run over it and fall down and lose the match. I could've just as well go past it safely, but something just snaps and I run over it instead.

In the last 50 or so Cups I've played with my siblings and friends, I haven't come 1st in like 10 Cups. So the game is still about skills, not just those items.

Ranger X

SuomiDude said:
Oh and those who complain about the power slide, the original SMK already had a prototype of it. You could make the slide and if done right, you can get a boost when you finish the slide. SO it's always been there.

Almost right here buddy. You could induce a drift in Super Mario Karts but that was a drift, a natural one and not "a move". Also, this drift, if pulled off perfectly could maybe MAINTAIN your speed but NEVER gives you a boost.
So it's completely different from Mario Kart 64 and DS.

---

Also
I don't get people that WISH FOR DOWNLOAD CONTENT. :lol

Wish for all this content to be in the game from the start is the better and only wish.
Unless you wish to pay more for your gaming right? And if you want this download to be free then why not wishing for it to be in the game right from the start? You want the assle of downloading it? I don't get the wish for download content really.

ninge

i never said i wanted to pay for it - downloadable content does not have to be charged for you know!

I just that i want more tracks at a later date to keep me coming back and as rewards for online play

Ranger X

ninge said:
i never said i wanted to pay for it - downloadable content does not have to be charged for you know!

I just that i want more tracks at a later date to keep me coming back and as rewards for online play

If you don't want to pay for it fine. I gave an answer to this too you know.
Why taking the time to download it if it's free anyway? Just to lose time?
And about your rewards for online play, why downloading them? The game could unlock it to you and voila.

SuomiDude

Ranger X said:
Almost right here buddy. You could induce a drift in Super Mario Karts but that was a drift, a natural one and not "a move". Also, this drift, if pulled off perfectly could maybe MAINTAIN your speed but NEVER gives you a boost.
So it's completely different from Mario Kart 64 and DS.

Well you lose some speed in most of the curves, so you do basically get extra speed if you pull the drift well. So it might not be a boost in its direct meaning, but it's still basically the same thing (just compare your lap times for example with normal sliding and those "super" slides, at least I always get better times when I make those better drifts). That's why I also said it was kind of a proto type.

Ranger X

SuomiDude said:
Well you lose some speed in most of the curves, so you do basically get extra speed if you pull the drift well. So it might not be a boost in its direct meaning, but it's still basically the same thing (just compare your lap times for example with normal sliding and those "super" slides, at least I always get better times when I make those better drifts). That's why I also said it was kind of a proto type.

Fair enough.
But has in real life, a good drift will make take a turn faster. In Super Mario Karts it does feel "natural" to some extent thus not making it "a move" for me. That's the nuance i was trying to explain. Instead of just having a normal "logical" drift they came up later on with a "drift-boost". Sadly it killed the last remains of racing feel i had with Super Mario Karts and killed the series for me :(

bumpkin

Death to snaking. My god that would be sweet.

Maybe then some people will have to exercise a smidgeon of bushido online.

NotWii

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Man, Rainbow Road in MK64 was one of the worst tracks in the series. Long and boring. Nothing like that please. And there better not be one guard rail on the entire course.

Also, just pretend that the Namco version didn't happen. It's for the best.
What? Rainbow Road in MK64 is one of my favourites.
The music, the backgrounds, the giant shortcut, I love it.

BTW, I love every Rainbow Road course.

Top Bottom