• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Pick for the Most Iconic Power Armor in All Ass Kicking SF Fiction?

There are actually thousands upon thousands of Space Marines across the Imperium. As many thousands as there are chapters, with some exceptions to the Chapters to circumvent the usual rule of a 1000 marines per Chapter by being in a perpetual crusade against EVERYTHING and therefore allowed being over the limit (See Black Templars).

Space Marines remain of course, as others have mentioned, the most elite force of mankind while the men and women of the Imperial Guard (Astra Militarum now due to Games Workshop being a bit pissy about trademarking) form the humongous bulk of the Imperial forces with billions of troops across the galaxy. Often expected to loose millions of troops every day in the war against xenos and chaos.

That said, despite their expected expend-ability, the Guard are not without its heroes and noteworthy soldiers like Lord Solar Macharius, the only man who ever to lead a Crusade in the Imperium comparable to The Emperor:

Or Commissar Yarrick who ripped off the arm of a Ork warlord then using that same arm as a replacement for his lost one. He is considered legendary among Orks, which is damn mystical for a human to achieve, and is the only real worthy challenger according to the mightiest Ork to ever live Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka.

Or Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium, swaggiest fucker in the galaxy, and awesome dude for completely different reasons than the ones above (read the books, they are great)

Despite this though, the Space Marines steal all the thunder and glory, especially Ultramarines, cause they are more often than not complete assholes and have their iconic power armor that is featured on the box of everything Warhammer.

Except the Salamanders, they are pretty nice dudes who likes sharing with the people. Primarch Vulkan being the nicest dude to ever walk the galaxy. Like, really nice.

No mention of Gaunt but a mention of Cain? I never like Cain's series compare to Gaunt's Ghost books, which are fantastic.

I've always loved Halo's power armor.
2235033-halo_4.jpg
Halo CE armor is still my favorite of the series, hate 4's armor redesigns.
haloce_masterchief_mk__v_armor_by_toraiinxamikaze-d36io3s.png

Heck I even prefer the CE Marine's armor to everything but Halo Wars.

Battletech power armor is pretty great now I think about it.
TTSD is great.

Also, it's Sly Marbo, how can't you make a joke how silly overpowered he is? :p
Also, it's 40K, how can't you make a joke how just generally silly the entire universe can be?
Depends how far people go, to be honest here.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Or Commissar Yarrick who ripped off the arm of a Ork warlord then using that same arm as a replacement for his lost one. He is considered legendary among Orks, which is damn mystical for a human to achieve, and is the only real worthy challenger according to the mightiest Ork to ever live Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka.

The new Rise of the Beast books would like a word with you...

also NOT ENUFF DAKKA!!!!

Answer though is obviously Space Marines and this is an obvious stealth 40k thread so if someone could find me some more ORKY examples of badassness to add to my ORK folder on my work laptop i would appreciate it <3

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Holy shit! I had no idea the Imperium had run of the mill foot soldiers. That's pretty cool. I've only ever seen the Space Marines as representing the Imperium. I bet the members of the guard get jealous of the Marines' power armor.

The way they see and react to Space Marines is actually really well done in the SpaceMarine video game. It reflects a good majority of the way they are treated in other media and the books and the fluff for the most part. Almost pure white hot reverence. Space marines are in fact so few in number compared to the many horrors of the galaxy and indeed the imperial guard themselves that even just seeing one usually means two things.

1. Shit is fucked. Like so fucked. You are on a bad planet today, soldier. But don't run or we'll shoot you too.

2. You are also about to watch shit just get completely wrecked. Fields of roving tyranid monsters? Hacked to all fuck and burned for fun. Jumping dancing elf lord knife people who sing while they flay you alive? Dusted. Crumpled up and pumped full of rocket bullets. Towering demonic pain engines that power themselves by consuming screaming souls, still beating hearts and pain? Lets drive a Land Raider into it's face and then go floor by floor curbstomping the crew all while reciting lines 12,303 through 13,240 of the emperors favorite OxyClean commercials.

I fucking love this shit so much.

Mupod

to me personally? Definitely Guyver. A friend introduced me to both movies as a kid, at that age the goofy corny shit in the first one didn't quite register and I just saw the cool Guyver shit. But I still think the second one is great, bafflingly so...I mean it's a direct to video western live action adaptation of a manga, it has everything going against it. I still have a bit of a fascination with biomechanical armor to this day, hence Digimortal avatar.

Are people just posting their favorites or actually considering "iconic?"

Seems like there'd be little competition for Iron Man.

The way they see and react to Space Marines is actually really well done in the SpaceMarine video game. It reflects a good majority of the way they are treated in other media and the books and the fluff for the most part. Almost pure white hot reverence. Space marines are in fact so few in number compared to the many horrors of the galaxy and indeed the imperial guard themselves that even just seeing one usually means two things.

1. Shit is fucked. Like so fucked. You are on a bad planet today, soldier. But don't run or we'll shoot you too.

2. You are also about to watch shit just get completely wrecked. Fields of roving tyranid monsters? Hacked to all fuck and burned for fun. Jumping dancing elf lord knife people who sing while they flay you alive? Dusted. Crumpled up and pumped full of rocket bullets. Towering demonic pain engines that power themselves by consuming screaming souls, still beating hearts and pain? Lets drive a Land Raider into it's face and then go floor by floor curbstomping the crew all while reciting lines 12,303 through 13,240 of the emperors favorite OxyClean commercials.

I fucking love this shit so much.

Don't forget the fucking drop pods, which make for a hell of an entrance.

Exodust

Banned
What are the names for the artists behind all this Warhammer 40K stuff? I have a casual interest in the series and all the art you guys post is why I'm subscribed to this thread.

KDR_11k

Where does Power Armor end and Mech begin?

When your arms and legs are no longer in the armor's arms and legs it's a mech.
The power loader is an exoskeleton, power armors are exoskeletons with added armor.

Special shout out to the Section 8 armor, absolutely not iconic (you'd be hard pressed to spot it in a lineup of random sci fi armor designs) but it's a game where you actually do a high speed drop ( I wouldn't say orbital because the starting height seems too low for that) in that armor during gameplay.

How does Heinlein explain that power armor helps against the impact force from an orbital drop? Armor, drop pods, none of that helps when your body is being stopped hard like that. You'd need a gradual slowdown at less than 4G and a soft landing to actually survive it but the drop is often depicted as simply slamming into the ground. The retro thrusters on such a suit would be fairly massive or it'd need a parachute like a real space craft but nobody ever has power armor drop with a parachute...

DIS HERE 'NUFF DAKKA!?

ONLY GORK AND MORK 'AVE 'NUFF DAKKA!

KDR_11k

Is it just the picture or do these lack leg support? That's kinda the most important feature of power armor, supporting the legs with an exoskeleton to significantly increase the soldier's carrying capacity and actually allow moving all that heavy armor and weaponry around.

Geist-

Is it just the picture or do these lack leg support? That's kinda the most important feature of power armor, supporting the legs with an exoskeleton to significantly increase the soldier's carrying capacity and actually allow moving all that heavy armor and weaponry around.

I don't think it's actually power armor.

Top Bottom