• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When actor improvisation becomes legendary.

Meicyn

Gold Member

These two are my favorites. I love how the cameraman can’t keep the frame stable because of the genuine laughter from Robin Williams’ quip, or how Leonardo Dicaprio keeps looking off screen, almost as if checking to see if Martin Scorsese is onboard with what’s happening.

nush

frX.gif

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die."

Blade Runner monologue.
It was not ad-libbed or improvised in the sense he thought of it while acting the scene. Rutger Hauer wrote the monologue the night before, and Ridley Scott liked it so much that he told Hauer to go ahead and do it

Doom85

Critical role , like the entire 3 campaigns.

I love rolling my eyes at the people who never watch it/barely watch it and try to claim it’s mostly scripted.

Beyond the fact that following a general new script every week for 3-4 hour sessions would wear them all down super fast, some of the shit that goes down would make no sense.

Like about 1/3 into Campaign 2 when they’re about to have their first naval battle and Matt is all excited he finally gets to use these custom naval rules he’s been working on, hands the papers explaining them to his players, and gets the map out….and then Taliesin tries out using a magic spell in a certain way that ends the whole ordeal in like two minutes. And you can just see Matt’s disappointment in his face but of course he’s a good DM so he respects the move and puts away the map and such. Like, if it were scripted, the players wouldn’t be prematurely ending at rapid pace a brand new type of combat for the campaign.

Nydius

Christian Slater as Will Scarlett in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

This was an ad-libbed line by Slater in character when the catapault stunt actually worked and they chose to leave it in.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When the hospital briefly failed to blow up.

I personally think this is the single greatest bit of improvisation in movie history. Mainly because the pressure to get that take right was enormous, given how expensive and time consuming it was to set up the explosions. It was a building scheduled for demolition. They literally could not have gone back and done it again.

The fact he had the fucking skill to stay in character completely, add a totally natural and random bit of goofery that absolutely fitted in perfectly with his characterisation of The Joker, and see the whole damn thing through to its ending without once messing up is incredible.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
Blade Runner (1982) - "Tears In Rain" by Rutger Hauer *

* Sort of improvised, I believe Rutger came up with it before and cleared it before the shot.

...only watch if you've seen it before! Otherwise, what are ya doin'? Go watch the movie..!

Last edited:

Dithadder

Theres a great scene in se7en where a prop phone kept ringing and i guess was distracting r lee ermey. Eventually he picked it up, said "this isnt even my desk," then hung up.

Gp1

John Ashton is literally holding back his laughter with his hand while Eddie Murphy improvised the entire scene. Cox almost laughing at the end...

Prime Eddie Murphy

And the most infamous one

Last edited:
Top Bottom