• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When The Seagulls Cry: Golden Reverie [Umineko fighter] fan translation

cj_iwakura

I've been interested in seeing this game released in English ever since I obsessed over some of the background art here a couple years back.
grlogo.png

So now we're making it happen.

• Editing/Project Lead: cj iwakura
    Hacking: EsperKnight
    Translation: Cckerberos
    Tester: Walterion
    Graphics: The Reddit Umineko Community(seriously, they came together big time)

grcover.png

Golden Reverie, translated from Ougon Musou Kyoku, is a fighting game based on the universe of When The Seagulls Cry(Umineko no Naku Koro Ni).

This is an official follow-up to the visual novel, taking place after the events of Episode 4, canonized and sanctioned by 07th Expansion.

Of course, odds of it getting officially localized in any capacity, much like the VN, are just about non-existent.

So we're translating it, and plan to release a patch to make all the game's dialogue viewable in English.

FAQ

Should I play the visual novel before this?
YES. The events and even backgrounds of Golden Reverie contain massive spoilers to Episodes 1-4 of the visual novel.

What about the expansions like Cross?
We're doing the original first. Cross and its ilk may come later.
No sense getting in too deep just yet!

Will the Japanese voice overs be intact?
Yes. We have no intention of dubbing this, as it would be a massive project. Almost every line of dialogue is voiced from the cast who did the PS3 VN/anime voices, and they did a fine job.

What about spoken dialogue during matches?
As cool as having subtitles in-game for that would be, that would be a massive undertaking. Most likely, we'll include translations for all the battle quips in a read-me, same goes for the opening song and such.

I love Umineko but I hate fighting games. Will finishing this be a nightmare?
The AI can be cheap as hell, fair warning. But there is an easy mode, so you should be fine.
It's also very easy to exploit cheap combos and get story mode over with if that's your preference.

How far along is the project?
Hacking is already going smoothly. The script is totally translated. Editing is mostly done, just needs to be touched up.
Implementation is at 10%.

Can I help?
If you're both:
A. An Umineko scholar
B. Fluent in Japanese
Then absolutely, PM me.

The Players

grbattler.png

The one who defies magic, and will explain it all through reason. Locked in an endless battle with the great witch, Beatrice. It may be all useless, but you can still turn the chessboard around.

grbeatrice.png

The one known as the Golden Witch. There's only one known way to kill her.
Can you defy the strength of her magic through sheer force of will, or will you be another broken beneath her heel?

grange.png

The younger sister of Battler, fighting to regain the family stolen from her by the Golden Witch. What awaits: a happy future, or one of endless despair?

grronove.png

An elegant butler in service of Beatrice, yet he also has great respect for Battler. Where do his loyalties lie?

grshannon.png

A maid sworn to the service of the Ushiromiya Family. A master of spiritual defense, she will let no harm come to those she loves.

grkanon.png

The youngest of the Ushiromiya servants, he is never far from Shannon, and any who try to harm her or those under his protection will find he is all too capable of enforcing it.

grvirgilia.png

A legendary witch, reputed to be Beatrice's elder and instructor. Does she aspire to bring Beatrice back to her senses, or help the Golden Witch in her schemes?

greva.png

One of the Ushiromiya Family, twisted by the promise of power with a penchant for unending cruelty.

grlucifer.png

The eldest of the Seven Stakes of Purgatory, executioners of Beatrice's will(as well as her victims).

grchiester.png

One of the Siesta Sisters, each of whom is easily a match for the combined might of the Seven Stakes. Yet, they serve not Beatrice, but the fearsome sorcerer known as Goldsmith.

English screens, testing:
gren.png

gren2.png

Other screens:
gr6.png

gr.png

gr1.png

gr2.png

gr4.png

gr5.png

gr7.png

gr8.png

gr9.png

gr10.png

I hope you're all as excited as I am for this one.

This is an official follow-up to the visual novel, taking place after the events of Episode 4, canonized and sanctioned by 07th Expansion.

Uh, you sure canonized would be the right word here?

What about the expansions like Cross?
We're doing the original first. Cross and its ilk may come later.
No sense getting in too deep just yet!

Aww.

Honest question though, what's the point? Isn't everything from the original still there in Cross (well except the OP)?

I love Umineko but I hate fighting games. Will finishing this be a nightmare?
The AI can be cheap as hell, fair warning. But there is an easy mode, so you should be fine.
It's also very easy to exploit cheap combos and get story mode over with if that's your preference.

To add to "AI can be cheap as hell" thing, if you ever play Cross, don't even attempt to fight Black Battler. Seriously. Just don't. It's for your own sanity.

Can I help?
If you're both:
A. An Umineko scholar
B. Fluent in Japanese
Then absolutely, PM me.

Well guess that leaves me out D:

Looking forward to this. Mostly for the joke endings which looked fun.

Rarutos

Yeah... I'm thinking the same thing as SolarKnight. What's the point of doing the original? Cross has all the stuff from the original in it already.

cj_iwakura

Uh, you sure canonized would be the right word here?

Maybe?

Honest question though, what's the point? Isn't everything from the original still there in Cross (well except the OP)?

Short answer: it'd be a lot more work. We'd like to start slow.
(And the OP is a pretty good reason!)

Also, I've received verification from Witch Hunt: we're the only ones doing this.

cj_iwakura

No argument there.

Another question, are the original and Cross's code too different or should the patch also be able to work with Cross anyways?

It's entirely possible. I honestly haven't played Cross, but I'm pretty sure the two run off the same scripting tools.

Siesta Sister is the biggest waste of character slot I have ever seen.

Is the cross ''expansion'' thingy working like a traditional expansion? In example if I got this and played thru it would the cross content take off after the main game or would I need to ''replay'' the whole game again? How does it fit into the main game anyho?

cj_iwakura

Siesta Sister is the biggest waste of character slot I have ever seen.

Is the cross ''expansion'' thingy working like a traditional expansion? In example if I got this and played thru it would the cross content take off after the main game or would I need to ''replay'' the whole game again? How does it fit into the main game anyho?

As I understand it, Cross has new paths for the new characters. It has no new storylines besides that.

It also has an Akuma-esque stupid boss in the form of
Black Battler

By the way, I'll be basing the script around Witch-Hunt's translation for the most part, but I believe in localization over direct translation, so expect liberties.

Has your group actually released anything yet?

Yes. Shikigami. Well, and eXceed, technically.

This is our second project. The others I'm helping with.

Shadowrun is a project that I'm helping to edit and Esper is hacking, and Generation Xth is entirely Shram's baby, also being hacked by Esper.

As I understand it, Cross has new paths for the new characters. It has no new storylines besides that.

Black Battler

By the way, I'll be basing the script around Witch-Hunt's translation for the most part, but I believe in localization over direct translation, so expect liberties.

Yes. Shikigami. Well, and eXceed, technically.

This is our second project. The others I'm helping with.

Shadowrun is a project that I'm helping to edit and Esper is hacking, and Generation Xth is entirely Shram's baby, also being hacked by Esper.
Well I wish you good luck. I am definately interested as an Umineko fan. Too bad Erika, Lambda and George ect. are cross only and this has the likes of Siesta instead.

cj_iwakura

Well I wish you good luck. I am definately interested as an Umineko fan. Too bad Erika, Lambda and George ect. are cross only and this has the likes of Siesta instead.

I'm not a big fan of Siesta either, but she is fun to play as. Why they picked the worse of the three is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, Cross is definitely something I'm interested in, but I'd rather not get in over my head just yet.

Determining compatibility with Cross as a partial patch for the vanilla game is high priority as well.

I'm not a big fan of Siesta either, but she is fun to play as. Why they picked the worse of the three is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, Cross is definitely something I'm interested in, but I'd rather not get in over my head just yet.

Determining compatibility with Cross as a partial patch for the vanilla game is high priority as well.
Not complaining. Getting Vanilla is better than nothing.

esperknight

Neo Member
Has your group actually released anything yet?

I enjoy having CJ promote stuff I'm working on so I let him have at it :) I myself have released projects under various groups/myself (SGST was my previous group and if anyones curious about my releases... http://www.romhacking.net/community/1136/).

As CJ said though, Shikigami has been released as an open beta albeit with no title screen and some tutorial stuff not done yet. eXceed was released a while ago too although I need to still fix some bugs. The demo for Xth Code Hazard was released and the full should be released soon after testing and a few misc strings are translated.

So arguably yes :)

cj_iwakura

The script is finished. Really wasn't that long, only about 1,200 lines.

Now the fun begins! :D
(Editing, implementation, checking for line breaks, the fun stuff.)

Tweaking the font is still on the to-do list, but aside from the poor kerning, I'm somewhat fond of it.

cj_iwakura

So while we toil away at the game, I'll occasionally update with stuff that makes it special.

One of my favorites being the dramatically changing backgrounds(which are always enjoyable).

uVTqIhI.jpg

The Metaworld

D56KkMB.jpg

After entering the Metaworld, not only does the background change(often for the darker), but you can also use your most powerful techniques free of cost, your Meta Supers.
In addition, you and your partner's abilities activate to power you up.

DXbVV5F.jpg

Also, it can be used as a cancel in order to extend combos. Getting used to how to use the Metaworld for attacking and for defense is a major theme in Golden Reverie.

However, two people cannot use this technique at the same time. The first person to declare wins, but you can always try to beat your opponent to it.

gyI9XhA.jpg

Also have some avatars.

3RqWC46.png
K0bUqc2.png
U1GKFri.png
t6J7GzL.png
6y64REU.png

AvQLPGG.png
QxGcoMG.png
dTrvMb5.png
LVfOUWB.png

Ah, the metaworld. Fun times.

■ Declare Metaworld
You can enter the Metaworld at any time with ABC. This will cost 1 stock from your SP gauge. While in the Metaworld, you can use your Meta Super free of cost, as many times as you want. You will also receive both the effects of your own ability and your partner's. Metaworld Declaration acts as a free cancel, so you can also use it to extend your combos and greatly increase damage.

■ Meta Reversal
You can reject your opponents declaration by pressing ABC as soon as they enter the Metaworld. Doing this will cost 2 SP. Letting your opponent declare whenever they want will leave you at a great disadvantage. With this, you can stop them from stealing the momentum of the battle.

■ Meta Re-expansion
You can reestablish the Metaworld after a Meta Reversal for 2 SP. This will force the Metaworld into action over your opponents rejection, but for only 75% of its normal duration.

■ Meta Re-objection
After a re-expansion, you can shut down your opponent's Metaworld again for 2 SP. (In version 1, this used to cost 3 SP, but ever since CROSS, it was reduced to cost only 2 SP.)

■ Forced Meta Expansion
This is the final say. Using this will force activation of the Metaworld for 2 more SP, but for only 50% of its normal duration

Pretty much
"I activate metaworld!"
"Yeah, well, I object that!"
"Well I object your objection!"
"I object my objection's objection!"
"I object to all of that now shut up."

Black Battler

Why are you spoilering that, it's not like he isn't pretty much the face of Cross. I mean, he's freaking seating on a throne at the center of the box art :T

cj_iwakura

Ah, the metaworld. Fun times.

Pretty much
"I activate metaworld!"
"Yeah, well, I object that!"
"Well I object your objection!"
"I object my objection's objection!"
"I object to all of that now shut up."

Why are you spoilering that, it's not like he isn't pretty much the face of Cross. I mean, he's freaking seating on a throne at the center of the box art :T

Because he doesn't exist. :p Imagine that as stated in red.

Do you guys have any ETA for the patch? Summer? Fall? Winter? 2014?

Also any recommended site where to buy this? It blows my mind a game like this has 360 version and no PS3 port even tho the VN got full treatment on PS3. Didn't it bomb in japan tho? :(

cj_iwakura

Do you guys have any ETA for the patch? Summer? Fall? Winter? 2014?

Also any recommended site where to buy this? It blows my mind a game like this has 360 version and no PS3 port even tho the VN got full treatment on PS3. Didn't it bomb in japan tho? :(

Blows mine too.

And I'm 90% positive this is a 2013 release. The script is almost done and implementing it looks like it will be very stress free. I'm optimistic by summer at latest.

Shikigami took us two years. It took us half that to figure out how the hell the script was stored.
IMAGE FORMAT. Alfa Sys, you evil bastards.

cj_iwakura

Golden Reverie's Script is...

uJSYGUE.jpg

vdIAbtj.jpg

Complete! :D

I'll be editing it over the next couple days. My hype is off the charts.

Also gonna need lots of proofreading to fix line breaks like above, but that's what testers are for!

You may want to volunteer early. In red.

cj_iwakura

I'm accepting testers if anyone wants a go at a very, very rough alpha. It only entails a replaced script file, which I'll share with whoever's interested.

As far as I can tell, the STORY dialogue is complete(unedited), but the mid-game quips(i.e. Ange and Battler talking smack at each other before matches) still needs to be incorporated.

More details of what I expect.

• Be Umineko and/or Japanese savvy.
    Identify line breaks and non-translated STORY text. The mid-stage dialogue exchanges are untranslated at the moment, it has yet to be incorporated.
    Note any typos or misused character names (i.e. Battler talking to Beatrice and addressing her as Eva). We did the script raw without context, so this may happen on occasion.

cj_iwakura

Script is now 40% edited. Boy this game runs the gamut from silly to perverted to dead-on serious.

I'm not sure if I should let Battler be as explicit as he is in this dialogue or just run with it. Nihi.

cj_iwakura

Editing is at 70%. Full un-edited script is now in game, so we're up to the beta phase.

Again, anyone with Ougon vanilla(NOT CROSS), is welcome to PM me to help test.

cj_iwakura

Battler/Beatrice and Ange/Battler scenarios are fully translated and playable in-game. We're implementing a scenario at a time due to the pointers being separated or some such.

So we're at roughly 10% of full completion.

Labrys

Dammit, I really need to get around playing the actual novel! The icon just kinda stares at me, sadly.
Going away from my incompetence, keep up the good work! I'll try to finish up the novel, maybe then I could help, eheh...

cj_iwakura

Dammit, I really need to get around playing the actual novel! The icon just kinda stares at me, sadly.
Going away from my incompetence, keep up the good work! I'll try to finish up the novel, maybe then I could help, eheh...

Yep, definitely finish the novel first. It's fantastic, but DAMN long.

I'll get some screens from the Ange/Battler scenario soon, I'm quite fond of it.

And oh god, the anime. Don't remind me there was one.

cj_iwakura

Small update from our good friends Eva-Beatrice and Chiester 410.

RvU1VDF.jpg

Their scenario is done! Almost halfway there.

Once the text is inserted, the rest doesn't take long.

Top Bottom