• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you’ve seen your sibling in person?

Mondai

Sorry , just having random thoughts so I wanted to make this topic . I haven’t seen my only brother in 14 years, he lives super far away now so I doubt I’ll ever see him again, which is fine . He used to be a big douchebag to me growing up and got me into some pretty habits (smoking, alcohol but I’ve thankfully given up on both a long time ago). He’s a decent person now but sometimes I feel like he died a long time ago, I don’t even remember what his voice sounds like anymore.

KrakenIPA

I live with my identical twin, we also work together, so I see him a lot. I hope you can find time to reconnect with your brother (or his spirit) someday. I hope you can square with who your brother is/was and how it is close to who you are.

ahtlas7

I live 4586 miles from my brothers. It’ll be next year before I see them again and it’s been about a year since last time we were together.

Last edited:

nush

I've got two brothers, not seen them for over ten years. Last time one reached out to me just to ask for free shit. My friends are more important to me than my siblings.

Billbofet

My sister is not too far from me. I see her about four to six times per year, which is plenty.
We always have a good time, but I can only take so much of her. She made some pretty awful decisions over the last few decades and put my parents through a lot.
There was a good five-year chunk I refused to see or contact her, but now that my dad is gone, I know it's important for my mom that we get along.
She's found a good guy that puts up with her shit (bless his heart), and we're actually all going to her place tomorrow to celebrate Mother's Day for my mom.
I'm kind of proud of her just for hosting this. If you had asked me at any point over the last 25 years if my sister would ever host a family gathering, I would have laughed in your face. Maybe she's maturing now that she's in her 50's....

Mossybrew

I see my sister who lives in town about once a month. She's only three years younger so we've always been pretty close. My other sister is ten years younger and lives across the country, haven't seen her since she moved like 5 years ago. We were never that close though due to that age gap.

one brother and his fam i see on avg 1-2xs a month.

the other brother and his kids I havent seen in almost 10 years. havent seen his wife in like 15 years.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
One sister is single and has no kids, so my wife and I make sure to include her in activities with ours a lot, so usually at least once a week. The other, every couple weeks. My brother a few times a year as he’s out of state.

Last edited:

Fbh

I live like 15 min apart from my sister so I see her quite often, usually at least once a week.
I also have a half brother but he lives in another town and we aren't particularly close so I see him maybe once every couple of years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most of my immediate family is all within the same metro area. I see my parents or siblings every month or two tops. Fam dinners, restaurants, holidays etc...

jason10mm

Gold Member
Roughly every other year or so now that we live farther away. Young kids makes it hard to travel for visits these days.

On a related note, I see my folks about once a year now and I'm acutely aware that at that pace I'm probably down to maybe 10 more visits before they pass away from old age :(

Gonna call my folks just as soon as I finish cutting these onions....

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
PM photo's?
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Pop

I have two brothers and they live about a 5 hour drive from me. So I see them once every 2 months about

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
I am very close to my siblings even though we live in different cities, but not too far away cities, they come over at least once a month for board games, food and video games, last night was thst night

I haven’t seen my only brother in 14 years,
One brother, maybe 2 years
I live 4586 miles from my brothers. It’ll be next year before I see them again and it’s been about a year since last time we were together.
I've got two brothers, not seen them for over ten years. Last time one reached out to me just to ask for free shit. My friends are more important to me than my siblings.
1500km between us, we don't talk to each other. We see one another during Christmas and Easter, that's it.
One I talk to frequently, and the other I haven't spoken to in 10 years
one brother and his fam i see on avg 1-2xs a month.

the other brother and his kids I havent seen in almost 10 years. havent seen his wife in like 15 years.
I'm aware that it's not my business to look down upon and cast judgement, but these statements are absolutely depressing as fuck. Family is one of the most important things in life and whilst I'm aware that situations change and not everybody had a comfortable upbringing, it's still prudent to have a relationship with them in some capacity. To see people on here proudly stating they haven't seen their own flesh and blood in over a decade reinforces my view of how fucked up we are in the west, it's a case of getting out of the house as quickly as possible and not looking back until you've had your share of hard-core consumerism. When I see families in Asian and African cultures usually living close to one another and enjoying many moments with one another, I wonder if we're the bad guys and they're the ones who got it right.

Raven117

I'm aware that it's not my business to look down upon and cast judgement, but these statements are absolutely depressing as fuck. Family is one of the most important things in life and whilst I'm aware that situations change and not everybody had a comfortable upbringing, it's still prudent to have a relationship with them in some capacity. To see people on here proudly stating they haven't seen their own flesh and blood in over a decade reinforces my view of how fucked up we are in the west, it's a case of getting out of the house as quickly as possible and not looking back until you've had your share of hard-core consumerism. When I see families in Asian and African cultures usually living close to one another and enjoying many moments with one another, I wonder if we're the bad guys and they're the ones who got it right.
This.

I understand there are facts and circumstances that can change the analysis. but as a general rule.... Relationships with siblings are critical. Once your parents are dead...they are the only ones on the planet that have known you the longest. A connection to a past and roots that cannot be replicated in any way.

Last edited:

Mistake

If I came from an average family upbringing, I’d agree with you. But I don’t associate myself with toxic people who go out of their way to make my life hell. Doesn’t matter if it’s family or not

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Every 2 or 3 weeks. We live pretty close, so could be more often, but he's busy raising a family and I'm busy gaming in my hermit's den.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Family is one of the most important things in life and whilst I'm aware that situations change and not everybody had a comfortable upbringing, it's still prudent to have a relationship with them in some capacity.
My brother got into a relationship with a woman 30 years older and had a child with her before he was 20. There is also 10 years of age difference between us.

you were saying game of thrones GIF

Drake

Probably a few times a year. Confession time, I can't stand her kids. The one is a spoiled brat and the other one cries all the time. I put on a happy face the few times I'm around though to keep things civil.

Mondai

My family is not really close knit , we just aren’t that kind of people. I care for my brother , but most of the time I feel like he died a long time ago, family doesn’t really matter much to me compared to others, I was not raised that way.

Trilobit

Went out for a beer with my sis and nephew last Saturday. Was really nice. I see my other sister who lives 12h away maybe twice every year. We're pretty close all of us.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
6 years ago at my Dad's funeral. I like my brother's but I live on a different continent and we all have families so face to face meet-ups are rare.

nush

My family is not really close knit , we just aren’t that kind of people. I care for my brother , but most of the time I feel like he died a long time ago, family doesn’t really matter much to me compared to others, I was not raised that way.

I wonder how much of this in general is due to the parents and possibly divorce. My parents divorced and it split the family, I went with my mum and my brothers stayed with my dad.

Mondai

I wonder how much of this in general is due to the parents and possibly divorce. My parents divorced and it split the family, I went with my mum and my brothers stayed with my dad.
My parents are not divorced.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Saw my oldest brother two days ago. Haven't seen my other brother since last Summer. I'll see him again in a few weeks.

Top Bottom