• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will the war between Action & Horror Resident Evil fans end? I hope soon.

I actually really enjoyed Revelations 2, but it's not some kind of successor to action RE. It takes enormous steps back to the adventure game roots of the series. I'd argue it's far more deliberately traditional than even RE4 was, to say nothing of the enormous changes 6 brought.

Personally I just want more RE6-style gameplay. If that means a game that isn't official Resident Evil I wouldn't care, the series has generally been pretty dumb, but at this point it doesn't seem like Capcom is doing anything like that combat system with anything and that makes me sad.

I'm open to anything they do with Resident Evil outside of stupid cash grab shit like Umbrella Corps.

I like the old style and new style. I'd probably say RE2 and RE5 are my favorite games in the franchise. RE7 looks very promising to me and I'm as hyped about it as any other announced game at this point. I understand why people are a bit skeptical though.

When people realise that Horror is cheaper to make and it has nothing to do with catering to fans.

RE6 had a 600 person dev team at one point. That will never be repeated with today's conservative Capcom.

RE isn't returning to its horror roots as much as it returning to its lower budgets.

Jawmuncher

When people realise that Horror is cheaper to make and it has nothing to do with catering to fans.

RE6 had a 600 person dev team at one point. That will never be repeated with today's conservative Capcom.

RE isn't returning to its horror roots as much as it returning to its lower budgets.

RE7 supposedly has the same size dev team

RE6 probably also the worst mainline RE game. Bigger doesn't mean better. I think they figured that out. I don't care about the budget as long as they make a good game. And this doesn't look like a budget game at all. I really like the photo-realistic look of this.

RE7 supposedly has the same size dev team

That would not surprise me. Nothing about this looks cheap.

Smart people love all kinds of RE games.

The important thing is be a good game, period. I am glad RE finds a way to reinvent itself and not become too stale.

DedValve

Banned
You know I was honestly expecting this to be a bump of an ancient thread around the time of just before RE5's release.

I won't even count the amount of discussions I've participated in or even started that was something about action vs horror and almost every single one of them being entirely about RE with all of them mentioning RE in some capacity.

Its also hilarious to see so many of the action fans react exactly like how the horror fans reacted to RE4 and then later 5.

I remember reading a magazine saying "can RE survive without zombies? New RE4 exclusive!" and thinking to myself "hell no, RE without zombies is shit!" then later heard it wasn't scary.

Somehow I ended up buying it anyways because its RE. I look forward to RE7. 6 legitimately disappointed me but going by mainline RE games 6/7 games being fun as fuck to downright amazing is an incredible record few games wish they could carry. It's actually more like 7/8 if I wanted to count revelations series (haven't played REV2).

I look forward to seeing this discussion re-ignite again whenever Capcom feels like changing it up again.

Now the question is do I want to play RE7 first in VR or not........fuck. $400 for 1 game...FUCK.
I might actually do it

RedSwirl

RE4 was a straight-up action game all the way.

And I don't even think it's really a fight between "action" and "horror." Both styles are horror games, but you have this split between "survival horror" and "action horror." I think aside from RE4 the best action horror game is probably Left 4 Dead. Survival horror is, really, adventure games with horror elements. That's basically what the older RE games were.

But in recent years whole new breeds have cropped up to take over the genre. Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Frictional's previous games really share more in common with survival horror, but fans took the hide n' seek mechanic and ran with it until now where nearly every horror game has some kind of hide n' seek thing going on.

Personally, I want something more like the adventure games again, but people need to realize those games don't need to have tank controls to work. I'd like to see a more modern evolution of what RE1 and 2 did where you explored, solved puzzles, and managed resources. It would probably feel something like one of Frictional's games but with more weapons. The issue though is that it's not as big a genre as action games. It's why Revelations doesn't get the same budget mainline RE does. It's why the closest things to these games are the indie games that are doing the hide n' seek gameplay for YouTuber attention. I've heard of a couple projects doing interesting things like Daymare and Song of Horror.

MoonFrog

Smart people love all kinds of RE games.

The important thing is be a good game, period. I am glad RE finds a way to reinvent itself and not become too stale.

?

I don't think disliking changes in design is a sign of idiocy.

It's a sign you want a certain sort of thing from a certain series and you don't find value in what the series now offers instead of that.

It's not even about the game being good or not. For one thing, differences in taste may make the game not seem good. For another, even if someone can recognize the competence and quality of something that doesn't need to override what they'd rather it be.

It is not dumb to only be willing to go so far with a series from its roots. It is being that sort of fan rather than another.

When I say Resident evil 6 is awesome it's a fact.
Just take a look at my rare platinum Vanquish trophy.

Resident evil 6 has the best control mechanics,period.
As you look back at the great games ,like mario 64, contra nes, gameplay is key.
Re6 delivers more fun on a single merc run than hours and hours compared to some newer horror gaming experiences or action titles.
Story is tons of fun and stages are long and varied , gameplay and A.I really shines on no hope difficulty.

When I say Resident evil 6 is awesome it's a fact.
Just take a look at my rare platinum Vanquish trophy.

Resident evil 6 has the best control mechanics,period.
As you look back at the great games ,like mario 64, contra nes, gameplay is key.
Re6 delivers more fun on a single merc run than hours and hours compared to some newer horror gaming experiences or action titles.
Story is tons of fun and stages are long and varied , gameplay and A.I really shines on no hope difficulty.

PEOPLE ARE KILLED OVER LESS BLASPHEMOUS STATEMENTS, SIR :|

Make RE Great Again.

I think RE7 looks like a regression because it seems to be eschewing what makes both strains of mainline Resident Evil great, the things that made those games worth replaying and improving at. It looks like it's lacking the strong map design and the combination of solid (if basic) combat, resource management, and routing (which ties into the quality world design) of the best of the original games, as well as the complex, intricate combat systems (featuring great-feeling player characters (moreso in RE6) and well-built enemies) and well-implemented co-op from the latter games. I mean, maybe it won't - it almost certainly won't be a complex action game but maybe it'll succeed in other areas like the original games. I would be more or less okay with that. But what they're showing of the game (it's worrying that they are hardly talking about or showing combat at all, gives the impression that it'll be perfunctory) certainly makes it seem like it's going to be kind of shallow, coasting on the cheap thrills of being "scary" (which isn't really an important aspect of the series, honestly) rather than creating a truly engaging and rewarding experience like past games were able to.

I wouldn't call them action games in the same sense that Resident Evil 4 or, like, Dark Souls are action games, but I don't think it's an inappropriate descriptor. The most meaningful interactions you have in the classic Resident Evil games (and the interactions that give basically all of the games' mechanics any meaning or weight) are those you have with enemies that are trying to kill you. Narrowly dodging a bunch of zombies or hunters while you are one hit from death is still action even if you don't fire a shot.
You are making way too many assumptions based on things you haven't seen.
Granted that's partly Capcom's fault for not showing how 90% of the game looks like but for all you know RE7 may have most of those elements.

Also by your definition all classic survival horror games as well as modern horror games can be defined as action because they have a combat system even though they encourage enemy avoidance.
Calling a survival horror game action because it has a combat system is like calling a first person shooter an RPG because it has a character upgrade system.

You are making way too many assumptions based on things you haven't seen.
Granted that's partly Capcom's fault for not showing how 90% of the game looks like but for all you know RE7 may have most of those elements.

Also by your definition all classic survival horror games as well as modern horror games can be defined as action because they have a combat system even though they encourage enemy avoidance.
Calling a survival horror game action because it has a combat system is like calling a first person shooter an RPG because it has a character upgrade system.

Yeah, maybe. I definitely hope Resident Evil 7 is legit, but if it is, Capcom is doing a terrible job of selling it. Yeah, they've said the game has inventory management and we know there is ammo and combat, but the demo is completely lacking in substance and the trailers don't seem to show much more. Given that the game isn't that far from release, that seems like a bad sign. But yeah, regardless, my argument isn't that RE7 will be a poor successor, just that so far it looks like one and is not confidence-inspiring.

I'm calling the classic Resident Evil games "action" in a fairly broad sense. They don't have the singular focus on combat or strongly-developed combat mechanics that the latter games do, but make no mistake, those games are absolutely "about" action, even if they are not necessarily always about combat. Resource and inventory management are certainly central to the games, but the only reason those systems are meaningful is because monsters exist to put strain on you.

Top Bottom