• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will western devs realize that femininity sells?

Are we ever going to see femininity back in western games?

• Total voters
They turned Aloy from an decent girl to a face that's fit for a feminist.
JJxKPxiHDBEKa8Z2EKkntcEeTcpPR9dZJ9TfDnnlChgsNEVhXj4mN-BMACLBjtFuHivzArF-yA=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

Yep

She was still attractive in the first game. Not anymore

vj27

Banned
I don’t really get this question. I never bought a game cuz I thought the video game character was hot as hell. I bought tomb raider because I wanted to raid tombs. Her being attractive is just a bonus was never the selling point at least to me. Where’s the I don’t give a shit option in the poll lol, this whole thread is weird.

MarkMe2525

There are plenty of games with stereotypical attractive females in them. The only difference in today's video game landscape is there are games where the women actually look like women you see in the real world. For what ever reason, this bothers you and as a consequence, you focus on those examples.

Rest easy. Women still exist in games. Not all of them are going to have the same body type, so learn to move past this need to make all of them look the way you want.
Such a stereotypical and predictable answer.

It's not like there was something inspired behind the image he has shown, it's just the work of an artist trying not to be cancelled.

KàIRóS

I don’t really get this question. I never bought a game cuz I thought the video game character was hot as hell. I bought tomb raider because I wanted to raid tombs. Her being attractive is just a bonus was never the selling point at least to me. Where’s the I don’t give a shit option in the poll lol, this whole thread is weird.

You're low-key agreeing with me there though.

EDMIX

There is a problem here, and no, it isn't that we're asking for strippers in every game. Just asking for beauty, like Aerith in the screen shown.
You can only speak for yourself regarding this as anyone can feel that character isn't beautiful, that doesn't mean it was some secret mission to upset you or something, merely means not everyone can agree with that, it's not feasible.
who can't appreciate anything other than ugliness
Ok....but how do you know that is why you feel some character is not beautiful? I'm pretty sure you don't fucking think all women are beautiful, thus someone making a character you feel is ugly doesn't mean its some dark, purposeful or intention thing to have you disagree or be upset or hate how it looks or something, it just means they made someone you don't like......thats it. No one can make something that all 100% everyone likes, look at this fucking thread....

How is that not evidence enough? lol We need more BBW females, clearly you can't appreciate that and all you want is ugly for some reason, probably because of a agenda! Why do you hate pretty women? Big is after all beautiful /s lol
These days I feel like there are people that considers you to be a pervert, just because you like beautiful or cute women.
You are free to like that btw, but people are also free to give their views what you think isn't "cute" might be cute to them. If you can like something, I mean shit, you have to understand someone can like something you disagree with and find it "cute".

Unfortunatley, it makes people feel bad to acknowledge the obvious power of beauty

Yet we don't even have much to argue that is the sole reason you disagree with a character model though.

Did they not "acknowledge the obvious power of beauty" or did they just make a character in your opinion is ugly that someone else might argue is beautiful and the true power of beauty?

NikuNashi

There are plenty of games with stereotypical attractive females in them. The only difference in today's video game landscape is there are games where the women actually look like women you see in the real world. For what ever reason, this bothers you and as a consequence, you focus on those examples.
I live in Tokyo, I see very attractive, slim, beautiful, feminine women 'in the real world'.

You can only speak for yourself regarding this as anyone can feel that character isn't beautiful, that doesn't mean it was some secret mission to upset you or something, merely means not everyone can agree with that, it's not feasible
The mission is not secret, it becomes a "conspiracy theory" only when it's criticized.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never been swayed (positively or negatively) by the attractiveness of any video game character. I play video games for the gameplay, for the great stories, for the experiences I can't get in other media, not for hot women. Not judging anybody who cares about this, as you should 100% "like what you like", but it's not something I ever give a 2nd thought to, and will never influence any purchasing decisions I ever make.
I doubt you didn't have a "hmm" moment in scenes like this:

XeuyVY3.jpg

I don't know, when will gamers realize opinions are subjective?

Thats like me saying there is an agenda cause no one I see in gaming makes my pp hard...oh btw I have a fetish for BBWs.
Games never really appealed to my personal taste. The closest is probably Menat from SF. I love curvy black women like Saweetie or Chloe Bailey...so when gamers go "we want pretty women" and point to tomb raider, I'm like...ehhh. The woman from forspoken is one of the better looking actresses in video games in a while.

Forspoken-Frey-Holland-protagonista-do-game-900x503.jpg

X5xN9GSop9M-JoFMJaOCBunZVhb6Tz5PYoAD52-Uv1A.jpg

The point isn't that people want every game character to be made deliberately sexually attractive. We just want game characters to not be made ugly as fuck on purpose. But beyond that... if a game company makes a character ugly to appeal to a particular demographic, that reveals a disrespect for artistry in favour of saleability, which should be a red line for all of us. It's why a lot of us respect the Japanese culture more, because they respect artistic integrity to some degree, even if (or perhaps BECAUSE) the artists create things based on their sex drive

e: actually I'm going to quickly disagree with myself. It's fine if characters are deliberately attractive, regardless of gender or anything else, if that's what the artist wants. Anything the artist wants is fine. Censorship sucks shit. That doesn't contradict the point that corporations making characters deliberately dog ugly to appeal to the crowd is a dumb choice... ideals exist for a reason and it's because being an obese whale is actually bad not just for your physical health, but for your mental health and your entire life. Encouraging physical health isn't a bad thing. And in this case our instincts are encouraging us to be more healthy, since sexual attraction is linked to health...

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Games never really appealed to my personal taste. The closest is probably Menat from SF. I love curvy black women like Saweetie or Chloe Bailey...so when gamers go "we want pretty women" and point to tomb raider, I'm like...ehhh. The woman from forspoken is one of the better looking actresses in video games in a while.

Forspoken-Frey-Holland-protagonista-do-game-900x503.jpg

X5xN9GSop9M-JoFMJaOCBunZVhb6Tz5PYoAD52-Uv1A.jpg

Big eyes, Long eye lashes, petite nose, big lips, prominent cheek bones, slender. I'm sorry to break it to you bud, but your idea of beauty isn't specific or special, its universal.

Big eyes, Long eye lashes, petite nose, big lips, prominent cheek bones, slender. I'm sorry to break it to you bud, but your idea of beauty isn't specific or special, its universal.
Never said it was...just you don't see it often in games. Usual its super slender lighter women.

EDMIX

We just want game characters to not be made ugly as fuck on purpose.

How do you know though? I'm sure you don't just like all females you've ever seen on Earth, yet clearly someone might like those women and merely have a different opinion.

That doesn't mean they are making them ugly "as fuck on purpose", that means they think something is pretty that you don't.

Thats it...

actually I'm going to quickly disagree with myself. It's fine if characters are deliberately attractive, regardless of gender or anything else, if that's what the artist wants. Anything the artist wants is fine. Censorship sucks shit.

100%.

That doesn't contradict the point that corporations making characters deliberately dog ugly to appeal to the crowd is a dumb choice..

Maybe if anyone can actually prove that is their intent outside of "my pp not be hard" or something. We need more then just people's own personal views on this as its a bias. We can't just say a company is doing this or that solely based on what someone feels is pretty or not.

Clearly that will differ.

Maybe the artist is trying to appeal to what they think is pretty and you merely disagree, for all we know thats it for many of the games even being talked about in this thread. Someone may have made a character you felt was "ugly as fuck" and in that persons mind they were like "look at how pretty she looks" lol

marjo

I can't decide what's more annoying: people crying about others not being 'woke' enough, or the people bitching about something being too 'woke' just because the characters don't fit into their narrow minded ideas of what they should be.

Both sides just need to shut the fuck up and let the creators create whatever they want to.

Last edited:
As long as the game is good I don't give a shit either way.

I see that many of the people complaining seem to want to replace the 'woke' look with something that is about equally stupid, like some anime bullshit.

Last edited:
I live in Tokyo, I see very attractive, slim, beautiful, feminine women 'in the real world'.
I live in Osaka now after living 10 years in Tokyo and yes there are attractive, slim, beautiful women. The thing with Japanese women is, you never know what is under the hood (makeup). Sometimes when I see idols without makeup, I am starting to think that today anyone can become an idol with the right makeup. Many of these idols cannot even really sing.

I live in Osaka now after living 10 years in Tokyo and yes there are attractive, slim, beautiful women. The thing with Japanese women is, you never know what is under the hood (makeup). Sometimes when I see idols without makeup, I am starting to think that today anyone can become an idol with the right makeup. Many of these idols cannot even really sing.

Hey it's me, Osaka Joe, and here's me blog. I keep seeing sexy, beautiful, slim, attractive women who're (whore? lol) ready to have a ride on my fat cock. Anyway, here's the downsides to this little arrangement—

Soltype

Everybody knows women judge each other, you can't ask a woman who's not attractive or doesn't feel that way to design a character, it's going to reflect how she feels whether it's true or not. You can get the sloppiest dude on the planet to make a character of their own sex and it will come out looking like Brad Pitt, you can't always ask women to do the same. It's truly disingenuous because the narrative is that men more often than not make women feel uncomfortable about themselves is simply not true, women are the ones that make women feel the most uncomfortable about their bodies. They don't like women that look better than them, don't like that men would rather look at women that look better than them, and make no attempt to look like the women that attracts most men. Men understand this completely, we know what women like and if we don't have it we'll try to get it.

Everybody knows women judge each other, you can't ask a woman who's not attractive or doesn't feel that way to design a character, it's going to reflect how she feels whether it's true or not. You can get the sloppiest dude on the planet to make a character of their own sex and it will come out looking like Brad Pitt, you can't always ask women to do the same. It's truly disingenuous because the narrative is that men more often than not make women feel uncomfortable about themselves is simply not true, women are the ones that make women feel the most uncomfortable about their bodies. They don't like women that look better than them, don't like that men would rather look at women that look better than them, and make no attempt to look like the women that attracts most men. Men understand this completely, we know what women like and if we don't have it we'll try to get it.
I'm going to start a campaign where we each commit to read one word of this message and then come together to combine our knowledge and discern what it's trying to say without everybody being put to sleep

Soltype

Who's this?

I'm going to start a campaign where we each commit to read one word of this message and then come together to combine our knowledge and discern what it's trying to say without everybody being put to sleep
Just saying you can't listen to a lot of women if attractive women should be in your game/movie/ etc, or let said women design female characters.

Last edited:
Why does everyone pick on aloy lol. That's a normal girl with no makeup on. That's what they they look like.
No, you are either a super model or you are ugly. No better judge of women than a video game forum. It's funny because the women who people will call ugly are far more likely to look like their significant other than Tifa. Maybe video games is escapism from that...but at the end of the day they have games specifically for people who just want to stare at unrealistic women all day. Dating sims. I never enjoyed a game more cause the character was more attractive. I actually wish there was more bald/balding main characters. Like Joel is a 50smth yo man...all that hair, same with sam fisher or Snake. We need more male heroes with thinning crowns.

Last edited:
Just saying you can't listen to a lot of women if attractive women should be in your game/movie/ etc, or let said women design female characters.

If you think that this message makes sense then you have actual schizophrenia. I must say here that I'm not qualified to diagnose you with any kind of mental disability or ailment, I'm just some dick head on the internet, but it is my strong belief that you are a total fuckwit

Crayon

honestly i'd be fine with a really fat, retarded gamer girl if she wasn't an insane narcissist and had some kind of personality. i'd literally suck dust out of the fat folds of a gamer girl if she was not a complete piece of shit. i'm yet to find such a person

Holy god i'm dyin here. You have a way with words.

Soltype

If you think that this message makes sense then you have actual schizophrenia. I must say here that I'm not qualified to diagnose you with any kind of mental disability or ailment, I'm just some dick head on the internet, but it is my strong belief that you are a total fuckwit
I'll accept your qualifications lol

bender

What time is it?
Expressing your voice with your wallets and support games with the type of content you want to see in the games you play. Lord knows we are spoiled with choice these days. All the "woke" and "anti-woke" sentiments on social media are fucking exhausting and annoying. Thinking this board needs to be the opposite but equal reaction to the sentiments found on Era is confounding when the correct response is to ignore that nonsense all together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom