• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Xbox announced Hellblade II there was no game, just a trailer made for the TGAs

Imtjnotu

7 years for a 6 hour game.....

Oh No What GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

I think that's obviously not ideal in any way. But I think that's what you have to do to even attempt to sell your system at launch. Similar situation with Versus 13. Everyone will laugh but that's the Mattick hole Xbox was crawling out of. They had almost no 1st party development left and had to sprint to even have a shot staying in it.

Outer Worlds 2 I give a pass. They literally made a joke of that in the trailer.

They knew they had to launch ahead of the PS5 in order to have any chance, but they also knew they had no big first party games that would be ready. I understand why they did it to fight for survival, but I think the long wait without much coverage just ended up hurting them in the long run and made people feel lied to like a bait and switch. To be fair, Hellblade 2 never seemed like a system seller to me anyway - even to those who really enjoyed the first game.

begotten

Meh. It's common practice and easier than making a vertical slice to show.

The problem I have from this is it sounds like Hellblade 2 didn't have much development time as originally thought, so now I'm expecting more of the same and an even shorter game with Hellblade 2.

JackMcGunns

You using Uncharted 2 as an example is hilarious. Uncharted 1 was a solid game that scored well, but uncharted 2 was an otherworldly game, one of the best it's entire generation. It was a massive leap from 1 to 2. Everything we've seen from hellblade 2 doesn't indicate that at all. Maybe it is and surprises people but I'm extremely doubtful of that.

Really? Everything we’ve seen? Are you sure? Everything I’ve seen indicates it’s better than the first in every way. I wasn’t trying to compare games, the only thing similar is that the trailer was for a sequel, that’s all I’m saying. Banjo64 made a failed attempt to blame Microsoft for showing off a trailer announcing the sequel to an established game, but there was nothing wrong with that. Attempt to attack Xbox failed.

Last edited:
Duh. It's why I laughed at all of their fanboys who were claiming it would be out in the first year or two. It was being built on UE5 which wasn't even available to teams yet. Some people have no common sense. Kept saying the game was years away.

Codes 208

Thats basically the same shit with halo infinite. The first two trailers were basically using assets of the slipspace engine in unreal and the final game looked almost nothing like what they promised

Its becoming a trend with them

Varteras

Gold Member
Really? Everything we’ve seen? Are you sure? Everything I’ve seen indicates it’s better than the first in every way. I wasn’t trying to compare games, the only thing similar is that the trailer was for a sequel, that’s all I’m saying. Banjo64 made a failed attempt to blame Microsoft for showing off a trailer announcing the sequel to an established game, but there was nothing wrong with that. Attempt to attack Xbox failed.

marching iraq war GIF

Killjoy-NL

You’re implying only Xbox has done this. How many years… cough… generations rather (Holy shit) did it take for The Last Guardian to be delivered after its reveal? What about Deep Down?

Bad examples:

TLG did exist and the trailer was shown because someone leaked an internal trailer.
It was later stated that the game at the time ran at single-digit fps as it was too demanding for PS3 and they had to manually adjust the frames to get a decent framerate for the trailer.
Hence why it took until PS4 before it got released and it "looked the same as the PS3 trailer".

Deep Down wasn't even a Sony game.

If anything, use the KZ2-trailer.

Last edited:

salva

lol who the fuck cares. The game is now complete and days from being released. There is zero obligation for a dev or publisher to take "X" amount of time to bring a game to you.
Also, it's only $49.99 USD / 6 hours = $8.33 USD per hour of gameplay (or cinematic watching lol). Peanuts!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The memes this game will produce will be enough fuel to last us to 2028.

Phil was right. It’s all about engagement.

midnightAI

Except Hellblade II looks much and much closer to that first trailer now than Killzone 2 was in comparison to its first one.
You mean the Series X is more powerful than a PS3? ... No way

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Of course the series X can get closer to CG than a PS3 can

Anyway, irrelevant, the original argument is that Hellblade 2 hadn't even been started when the trailer released. Development of Killzone 2 was well in development even though they showed a CGI trailer so it's not really the same thing (still bad though admittedly, but that's not what the argument is about)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You mean the Series X is more powerful than a PS3? ... No way
I mean that it was impossible to match that trailer with PS3 hardware. Based on what they showed so far, the actual game looks much closer to the first trailer thanks to UE5, which can make a tech demo look like an actual movie in cut-scenes.
Obviously realtime can't much offline render yet, but we're getting there.

Last edited:

CamHostage

midnightAI

I mean that it was impossible to match that trailer with PS3 hardware. Based on what they showed so far, the actual game looks much closer to the first trailer thanks to UE5, which can make a tech demo look like an actual movie in cut-scenes.
Well, yeh, but like I said, that's because hardware now is more powerful so you can get closer to CG, the engine does help, but there are other engines that could get close to it also (Decima could for example, that engine has evolved a lot since KZ2)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Let's see how much game there actually is once it does release.

And why are people bringing up Deep Down as a "Sony too"? That was a Capcom lie.

Does anyone know how much gameplay there is? I mean that interactive cutscenes are better off as skipable cutscenes for me and there has been no combat or exploration footage as far as I am aware.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Your answers are in another thread:
Oh, so it basically was 3rd person Legend of Grimrock? Interesing :unsure:
Cool concept, but very rough based on what they showed. I think they should come back to it at some point and make a game, which is for sure will be unique and welcome addition to their portfolio.

Last edited:

Esppiral

One of the artists had an ArtStation post that basically confirmed it was a CG trailer and not in-game footage.

No wonder Phil was so defensive about that in the interview with Grubb & co. Also lends credence to the idea that many of the games from the 2020 event (Everwild, Contraband, etc.) and the Perfect Dark trailer were also just trailer cuts with no actual game in development around that time.

Only KZ2 ended up somehow (maybe voodoo magic?) looking even better than the CG trailer. Hellblade 2 already has noticeable compromises compared to the 2019 and 2021 footage.
Are you on drugs? Killzone 2 ended up looking aesthetically similar but in no way looks better than the Pixar level of graphics they showed in the reveal..

Also this practice of showing a vertical slice of game early on is nothing new or exclusive to Xbox, stop pretending that.

JackMcGunns

Are you on drugs? Killzone 2 ended up looking aesthetically similar but in no way looks better than the Pixar level of graphics they showed in the reveal..

Also this practice of showing a vertical slice of game early on is nothing new or exclusive to Xbox, stop pretending that.

It was more than just the level of detail, there was more deception in the way it was presented than the graphics itself. Motorstorm was worse, and Gundam Crossfire was an absolute atrocity compared to what was shown. Today things are much better, the problem I have is someone trying to blame MS for this practice when their presentations have been much more down to earth, in fact I remember the “Xbox 1.5” comments of the day when looking at their trailers of actual games, little did the poor bastards know it was all fake.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was more than just the level of detail, there was more deception in the way it was presented than the graphics itself. Motorstorm was worse, and Gundam Crossfire was an absolute atrocity compared to what was shown. Today things are much better, the problem I have is someone trying to blame MS for this practice when their presentations have been much more down to earth, in fact I remember the “Xbox 1.5” comments of the day when looking at their trailers of actual games, little did the poor bastards know it was all fake.

You ain't kidding.

They tried to pass this off as PS3 footage all the way back in 2005.

Stooky

Meh. It's common practice and easier than making a vertical slice to show.

The problem I have from this is it sounds like Hellblade 2 didn't have much development time as originally thought, so now I'm expecting more of the same and an even shorter game with Hellblade 2.
that was a trailer not a vertical slice

Top Bottom