• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Rust successors?

Where are the Rust progeny? (Choose closest that applies)

• Don't you worry. They're coming. The concept is brilliant and will definitely grow.

• I don't anticipate this concept getting more popular. Too many inherent design limitations.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Rust - a beautiful, awful, awe inspiring, nightmare of a game.

main-qimg-ceffc888d438926d33cbe1afa2248ed6

ead8a366d56c51b99543c28c7fb14524.gif

The game world (servers) last a month.
Players run around trying to collect resources, build forts, kill each other, and raid/destroy opponent bases. If you're offline and your enemy is online, good luck... It's Mad Max meets Lord of the Flies.

Why it's awesome? The game world "permanently" changes throughout the month based on player choice. Combat is exhilarating because stakes are incredibly high. It's arguably the best story generator/water cooler moment game in existence. You will frequently be killed while your opponent stands above you and says the most cancellable things imaginable as you bleed out.

Why it sucks? Your life needs to become Rust. You can farm materials for dozens of hours only to lose it all based on PvP conflict. High level players form tribes that attack + defend based on the sleep schedules of their opponents. If you don't want to lose everything at 3:30am...you need to assign guards (real people) to watch your base and call you IRL so you and your team can wake up, log on, and defend everything you've built.

The game is buggy, visually unappealing, and is terrible for solo players. And yet...it's incredibly successful. It's been on Steams top 10 most played charts for years. It's more popular today than at any point in its 12 year history.

Why hasn't the industry mined this concept better over the years? Where are the Rust successors that improve on the formula? Why haven't we seen bigger studios take Facepunches idea and mature it? Thus far, there are only 3 known games that might qualify as a Rust successor...Ark 2, Renown, and Blizzards upcoming survival game. GAF, help me understand.

(random dude who gets it)

Patrick S.

Banned
I've tried RUST, but I came to the conclusion that it's a game for antisocial assholes.

I much prefer DayZ. There's a lot of KOS in DayZ, too, but when you are on the right server, DayZ is just magic. There are very few games out there that make me feel more immersed in the same ways DayZ manages to do.

Last edited:

Spyxos

No idea what's fun there. I tried it a few times but it was absolutely not for me and it looks like 1 game of this kind is more than enough.

StueyDuck

SCUM and Conan Exiles exist, upcoming Dune Awakening will fall into the category.

these games all spun off from Arma mods anyway

i want to know when a AAA dev is gonna get their feet wet in the survival landscape. Would be nice to play a polished one of these games.

StueyDuck

Fuck rust, where are the planetside 2 successors?

WWII online essentially operates on a similar progression open warfare model, albeit WW2 instead of future tech, it's also apparently getting a nice meaty remake soon on UE5 which will be interesting to see.

Isn't Sons Of The Forest sort of one?

it's survival yes but it isn't PvPvE or PvP

Last edited:

Lasha

I've tried RUST, but I came to the conclusion that it's a game for antisocial assholes.

I much prefer DayZ. There's a lot of KOS in DayZ, too, but when you are on the right server, DayZ is just magic. There are very few games out there that make me feel more immersed in the same ways DayZ manages to do.

The same day Z where you can tie a guy up to drain his blood while force feeding him canned food until he pukes his guts out?

I think antisocial may not be the right word for these types of games because all of these games thrive because of the limited barriers between social interaction? Somebody being a cunt? Shoot them. Somebody start shooting? You can try to negotiate. The genre is probably the most social of mainstream games.

Top Bottom