• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you rank MJ's Dirty Diana in his discography (and in general)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty Diana

6e1d098548038130d49bd3fc7ba68902-d5cujpr.png

She said I have to go home
'Cause I'm real tired you see
But I hate sleepin' alone
Why don't you come with me
I said my baby's at home
She's probably worried tonight
I didn't call on the phone to
Say that I'm alright

Diana walked up to me,
She said I'm all yours tonight
At that I ran to the phone
Sayin' baby I'm alright
I said but unlock the door.
Because I forgot the key.
She said he's not coming back
Because he's sleeping with me
Because in my opinion this is one the greatest hard rock songs I've ever listened, and it is my favorite song from BAD album. The lyrics are amazing as well and capture the mood, and you dont get to hear lines like these often. DD always gets lost when you're talking about Thriller, PYT, Dont stop till you get enough, Smooth Criminal etc. Its under appreciated.

Onemic

Dirty Diana always felt ridiculously overrated to me, just like Man in the Mirror. It's a great song, but I feel like there are a lot of stronger songs on that album. Smooth Criminal easily bests it.

I'd put it on the lower end of his great songs. The top for me will always go to Human Nature.

HariKari

I'd rank both Dirty Diana and Scream unreasonably high. If DD is considered an average MJ song by most, that's just evidence as to why he was the king.

Never liked it that much. Always felt like MJ trying to be Prince to me.
It was MJ breaking out of his zone to tackle something that was not particularly in his wheelhouse. Even the title song "BAD" had a groove and felt like a pop song with its music. DD has a mean bassline and electric guitar out the wazoo.

DD is fine, but it hasn't aged well. Bad as an album has aged pretty bad, especially compared to thriller and off the wall. Stranger in Moscow is MJ's best song post thriller though.

As a kid, I thought he was referring to Diana Ross in this song.

But it's alright. Not one of my favorites, but I don't hate it either.

Ambient80

While the original MJ version is obviously leagues better, The Weeknd actually did a cover of it and it was pretty decent.

As far as where it ranks for me? Probably Top 5 or so, but Smooth Criminal will always be my GOAT.

Did you just say Smooth Criminal didn't age well?

Hey I love smooth criminal as much as anyone, but the production feels pretty dated, especially that synth bass.

I'm just someone who prefers the real instrumentation in thriller and especially off the wall.

Hey I love smooth criminal as much as anyone, but the production feels pretty dated, especially that synth bass.

There's nothing wrong with dated. Music is a time capsule, that pulls you into a specific place and time it was created anytime you hear it. That's why I dislike when older people tell the younger generation their music sucks or why can't you sing "insert older music" because they should be making what's relevant to them now with the tools available so they can capture in time where we're at musically today.

I'm just someone who prefers the real instrumentation in thriller and especially off the wall.

Man, I could not disagree more. I love both Thriller and Bad, but Thriller sounds far more dated to me. Bad is one of the best sounding albums I've ever listened to. My original vinyl copy of Bad is one of my absolute favorite things to put on, it just sounds so fucking good. I'd have to give OTW another listen, but in my head I would actually put it above Thriller as far as how good I think it sounds, though I certainly prefer Thriller as an album.

There's nothing wrong with dated. Music is a time capsule, that pulls you into a specific place and time it was created anytime you hear it. That's why I dislike when older people tell the younger generation their music sucks or why can't you sing "insert older music" because they should be making what's relevant to them now with the tools available so they can capture in time where we're at musically today.

You're right, and there are plenty of albums that sound very much 80s that I still love. Bad doesn't do it for me, but sign o the times, which sounds very much like it was made in the 1980s, is my favorite album of that decade. It's a case by case thing for me.

Maybe I just associate them because of Darling Nikki? Like a DeNiro/Pacino thing lol. Just never been a huge fan of it or Bad in general. I think my MJ album preference is completely chronolgical.

It's just Prince has such a unique sound, you kinda know when somebody's trying to emulate it as plenty of other people did. I could definitely see somebody prefer MJ's albums in chronological order though.

Strictly

Dirty Diana and Give in to Me are criminally underrated. My personal favourites from MJ. Weirdly, theyre both rock influenced yet I have no interest in the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom