• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does Steam fit into all of this?

increasing-graph-breaking-ceiling-gradually-value-skyrocketing-limit-depicted-here-as-73968558.jpg

Steam isn't going anywhere but up, for generations to come. Unlike consoles which have had downward slopes when their business model take a turn for the worse, as we seen with the WiiU, PS3 and Xbone. It's more likely that consoles will pull out before Steam does. PS5 is betting on expensive $70 exclusives, and streaming/subscription is a high risk bet Microsoft is willing to take, which can also undo them (see Google Stadia), since that will never be a market for gamers like me to take advantage of (I'd sooner quit gaming altogether, or just continue playing my lifelong backlog of steam games). If I were Microsoft I wouldn't be celebrating just yet.

theclaw135

Banned
Steam's subliminal hold over users is too intense to fail. When another service does something perceived to threaten its market leadership, people leap to fend them off.

This is only anecdotal of course but I can tell you that since I sub to Gamepass my Steam purchases went down by like 90%. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Steam is still gonna be fine tho.

yurqqa

There were many threads and I still don't understand why do people defend Steam that much.

It's like talking to alcoholics or Ponzi scheme company investors.

With console wars I understand the psychology - people have invested in the hardware and want it to be sucsessfull.

But why do you need launcher on PC at all ? Ok you buy the games in some launcher and it updates the game, but it's much easier to start the game by typing the name in the search box or use icons on desktop if you are used to it.

Why do you care which launcher updates your game if it's not DRM free ?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Steam is pretty dope. Been playing games on it for a while. Bought DOOM Eternal on it earlier this year. I see the Game Pass people will have an opportunity to play this game now. Good for them. They get to rent a game Steam users have played for months.

This “rentals is the future” shit is beyond obnoxious

Graciaus

Make up your mind. Do people on PC care about things outside Steam?

Yes, console ports.
Apparently you are dense. Take your console wars nonsense elsewhere. There are several different digital stores on PC. Statistically speaking Steam's sales blow everyone else away.
Steam's subliminal hold over users is too intense to fail. When another service does something perceived to threaten its market leadership, people leap to fend them off.
Probably because those other services are worse.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think you underestimate how little a lot of people on PC care about things outside of Steam.
... They care about the ports being on Steam.
Apparently you are dense.
Apparently you didn't understand my initial post yet you call me dense.
Take your console wars nonsense elsewhere

bA0p7nG.png

There are several different digital stores on PC. Statistically speaking Steam's sales blow everyone else away.
Yes, water is wet. And? When did I say any different?

acm2000

Well Since Geforce now supports steam.....

Nothing needs to change, valve may make their own version of streaming actually takes off, but it's still fairly crap for most the world across all current platforms.

Top Bottom