• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is the Killzone: SF community

Cornbread78

I logged in last night to finally give the MP a try (about 11pm est) and there were aboit a total of 300 people online between the "noob" rooms and full Warzone....

What I did play in the noob room felt great though; tight controls, no lag and the guns felt really good.

Even though it was a launch title, you would think the community would be much larger... Whats wrong?

Even shortly after launch there were not too many people playing, a shame really as the multiplayer is very solid.

I've often wondered this myself. The MP really is fantastic, and the support from Guerilla has been great.

The support they have given Shadow Fall and Mercenary is really amazing, and gives me a high regard of the studio despite never really enjoying their franchise. Shadow fall is actually my favorite but a lot of that is due to the art design being a bit more vibrant, i do recognize it has some fairly weak level design and a few genuinely terrible sections. I didn't mind the psp entry but 1,2 and 3 never did anything me.

You guys ruined it this thread was perfect at 0 replies...

Haha!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I think a lot of people have this misconception about Killzone being very single-player focused. KZ Shadowfall had single player of Debatable
It sucked
Quality, and thus not a lot of folks stuck with it to see how the multiplayer was.

But yeah, the MP seems pretty good. Shame about it's lack of popularity. Maybe they can pull a Killzone 3 and release it standalone, with some content available for free.

nib95

Banned
I've often wondered this myself. The MP really is fantastic, and the support from Guerilla has been great.

It's just too beginner unfriendly. Too much of the time is spent avoiding or breaking free of spawn camping, which is fine if you're experienced and know the game and how best to avoid or overcome spawn camping, but to beginners of the game it must be an absolute nightmare. Which is such a shame as the core multiplayer gameplay is simply fantastic, and extremely well balanced. I love that there's no auto aim as well.

As much as I like spawn bases when the teams are balanced, for the next game GG should really consider going with a random spawn type arrangement, similar to COD or whatever, at least for certain game types anyway. I think it would help increase it's multiplayer popularity and accessibility several fold.

I have played twice and I got a noob room with 5 other people and the second time I got a nearly full, main, Team Deathmatch.

I think it's pretty much "time of day" and "game mode" that affects when you'll see people, it's odd. A shame too, the game is pretty damn good.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It doesn't lend itself well to lone wolfing and there's no real level up system. It's a death sentence for MP shooters these days, sadly. Not to say that it's perfect.

Hip Hop

It's crazy.

Even Call of Duty: Ghosts on the Wii U has more players in the same period,

and that game sold less than 1 percent of total Ghosts sales on all platforms during launch.

But like I said before, I'd put my blame on no Aim Assist. I know I wouldn't be playing without it. They should consider adding that in next game.

alterno69

Banned
The multiplayer is very boring. All the maps are spawn camping clusterfucks and the framerate is terrible.

They need to implement COD/BF4 like spawn system to spread the fights around the entire map, it gets pretty boring fighting in the same spots all the time. I know there are spawn beacons but if the players don't use it then it means something is wrong.

skynidas

Banned
it came out alongside battlefield 4 and call of duty, and they took the majority of players that play fps online

i think the multiplayer is great and still play from time to time

The multiplayer is very boring. All the maps are spawn camping clusterfucks and the framerate is terrible.

They need to implement COD/BF4 like spawn system to spread the fights around the entire map, it gets pretty boring fighting in the same spots all the time. I know there are spawn beacons but if the players don't use it then it means something is wrong.

haha hell no, COD spawning is so messed up at this point. No one should implement ghost's spawning system.

alterno69

Banned
It's just too beginner unfriendly. Too much of the time is spent avoiding or breaking free of spawn camping, which is fine if you're experienced and know the game and how best to avoid or overcome spawn camping, but to beginners of the game it must be an absolute nightmare. Which is such a shame as the core multiplayer gameplay is simply fantastic, and extremely well balanced. I love that there's no auto aim as well.

As much as I like spawn bases when the teams are balanced, for the next game GG should really consider going with a random spawn type arrangement, similar to COD or whatever, at least for certain game types anyway. I think it would help increase it's multiplayer popularity and accessibility several fold.

This basically, random spawn points would make the game much more fun for new players. I don't think aim assist is an issue at all, is the horrible spawn camping.

entremet

Too many shooters for it to maintain an audience. Plus it's not anything special, so why stick with it?

You've got to bring in the shooter space these days.

How many shooters actually have a decent community anyway?

COD
BF
CS
TF2

MP shooters are too goddamn saturated to maintain any sort of stable community. Of course a middling game like Killzone is just gonna fadeaway into mediocrity like the rest of the other duds released in the last few months(Titanfall)

Really? from my experience the framerate has been superb, far better than BF4's in mp (though, obviously the performance in BF4 is very questionable). Granted there's a lot less going on and the scale is smaller so its expected, but i've never seen anyone complain about the performance.

Exactly. Every single arena/stage has the same areas where everyone is clogged up and the fighting occurs. It's super boring after a while. Nothing dynamic.

pelican

Really? from my experience the framerate has been superb, far better than BF4's in mp (though, obviously the performance in BF4 is very questionable). Granted there's a lot less going on and the scale is smaller so its expected, but i've never seen anyone complain about the performance.

The framerate is 60fps apart from a few minor dips.

It is fairly obvious he is making things up as he goes along.

alterno69

Banned
What spawning in a base is horrible?

Do you even play MP fps online? I doubt it considering you were previously promoting COD's spawn system which is fucked in Ghosts.

I meant COD like, meaning random areas of the maps, not exactly like COD, i also metion BF4 which lets you chose your spawn point which is even better. I'm sorry but i was just voicing my opinion as someone who tried Killzone SF multiplayer and didn't like it despite having loved KZ 2 MP, the spawn camping wasn't as bad there for some reason. IDK, i only tried SF for a couple of days and just didn't enjoy it at all, also the framerate gets pretty bad when there are several players in a base being bombarded by granades by spawn campers. The framerate back at launch wasnt always smooth.

The framerate is 60fps apart from a few minor dips.

It is fairly obvious he is making things up as he goes along.

Why would i make stuff up about a game i own, i beat the SP and wanted to enjoy tyhe MP but i couldn't for the reasons i mentioned before, the framerate might not dip in the 20's but it's not butter smooth either and coupled with the spawn camping it made for a less than stellar experience for me.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Of course a middling game like Killzone is just gonna fadeaway into mediocrity like the rest of the other duds released in the last few months(Titanfall)

To claim that Titanfall is a dud is a straight up joke. Game still has a very active community on the xbox one.

As for Killzone, the multiplayer is decent, but there's really not much that draws me back to it. Did they ever fix the fact that there was no public voice chat? Really blew any chance of taking that game seriously at launch because of it's omission.

Jesb

When it comes to online there's a small opportunity to grab a player. With so many options for online games if you don't grab a player within a few games they've already moved on. If co op was included I'd probably give that a try.

leng jai

I love the shit out of the game, played over 1500 hundred matches with a KD of over 2 but the multiplayer is just a clusterfuck now.

The amount of people that run around and literally only noob tube is obscene which is exacerbated with the ridiculous rate of spawn camping. The worst thing is that 95% of the maps have multiple exits which makes it mind boggling that there's a subset of players who continually get stuck in their spawn or conversely a group of spawn campers who always get rinsed by one competent flanker. Warzone pretty much consists of clans all stacking on the same side and curb stomping a group of 3 or 4 randoms. The auto balance in the game is useless.

If I was a new player just starting with Killzone now there's no doubt I would quit after a few hours. The player base is simply awful.

Not bashing KZ but based on my experience with past games, I never thought the MP was that great. Even the SP wasn't that great.

KZ was always about the graphics and visuals for me, definitely a showcase for the console.

Don't they have like massive tournaments on university campuses in Japan with thousands of fans cheering on the players? I thought I saw this somewhere...

Mike Golf

This basically, random spawn points would make the game much more fun for new players. I don't think aim assist is an issue at all, is the horrible spawn camping.

The spawn camping is no worse than any other FPS I have played, hell at least in this they have spawn turrets to deter people from actually running INTO the spawn area and killing you once you respawn. Most of the time only one of the possible two to three spawn exits are being camped so you can easily slip out another way and then flank or back attack the opposing campers. Not to mention the game gives you everything you need to push them back with spawn beacons, area denial petrusite grenades, turrets and more.

To the OP, I don't think I've ever logged on where there are less than about 500 people online and that's from the middle of the day on a week day to midnight or early morning. The MP is great though, the fluctuating FPS take a bit of getting used to but once you do it gets a lot easier to control. Matches can swing either way even in the late game which keeps you on your toes throughout.

If you haven't already I highly recommend playing Extended Warzone, nice and long matches that give nice objective variety to keep you interested.

The multiplayer is very good. It's a shame they probably will never make another killzone game cause Warzone is some of the funnest team oriented shooters I've played.

There are about 1000 online at any given time. This goes down during low peak periods. 1000 at a time is usually throughout the week. Right now there are about 1100 people on total.

I live in California and at night time over here I would see 200 to 300 people at the most playing. It got so bad that I just stopped playing cause trying to find Warzone matches became more and more difficult. It's not fun playing 4 vs 4 Warzone. Unfortunately most people were playing TDM which is not what Killzone is about.

I'm a vet from all the games. If you can trust anyone you might be able to trust me on the situation. It isn't quite as bad as some make it out to be.

First of all the game runs better, is more balanced, and is just a better game than it was at launch. Clan support and retro maps are coming along with coop. Look to see a PS Plus deal at least this year I think for the MP portion possibly.

There are about 1000 online at any given time. This goes down during low peak periods. 1000 at a time is usually throughout the week. Right now there are about 1100 people on total.

The spawn rape is because, simply, people are not very good without autoaim and maneuvering through maps without it. A lot of noobs wander around in this game expecting vets to have spawns ready for them at all times. They are a pretty stupid breed of player and you can see this in their terribly low KDRs. Against some kind of irrational thought, you do need to have a decent KDR in teamgames because the less you kill the less you complete any objectives you set out to do. If you can keep around 1 KDR and do objectives you should be fine in this game.

It's not an easy game to just wander into. BUT the game is solid right now with the Insurgent pack. You NEED the M82 as a support and that gun should never have been behind paywall imo. All in all GG has done some pretty great things with performance. Where before I was dropping frames all over the place at random points, now the game seems somewhat stable in 24 player matches.

Honestly, if you are on the fence about this game just try it. The graphics are fantastic for an MP title. Best out there imo. At any rate in a few months the game will be even better. I must say the weapons in this game are imho the best out there PC or console.

I don't think I've ever come across anytime where it ever dropped to "300". There's exactly 900 person right now.

One thing to know about FPSs that aren't from a big franchise - they don't attract the mainstream gamers who only play 1-2 games per year.

Also, you concern trolls can stop promoting KZ2 as a spwnrape free zone man. Anyone who was any good at the game knows exactly how bad it got.

Blame BF4.

first 2 replies won.

The multiplayer is very good. It's a shame they probably will never make another killzone game cause Warzone is some of the funnest team oriented shooters I've played.
It's gotten better since launch to be sure, but a lot of the core features that took them until December/January/March to implement, and that was simply took too long for people to wait or retain interest. People had already moved onto other games by December (not that the size of the community was never bigger than a few thousand online at any one time). Also, the MP is pretty dry and bland. Bland weapons, bland sound effects, terrible weapon sounds, bland modes. Just a very unspectacular game visuals aside. After you play something like BF4 or TF with proper sound, you wonder what the fuck they were doing or thinking when they put KZSF's sounds together.

I don't think I've ever come across anytime where it ever dropped to "300". There's exactly 900 person right now.

One thing to know about FPSs that aren't from a big franchise - they don't attract the mainstream gamers who only play 1-2 games per year.

No, KZSF sold pretty well. People simply stopped playing it because it had no staying power secondary to the lack of all the basic features FPS gamers had come to expect over the years. For fucks sake, it took at least 2 months just to get voice chat in the game. Never mind proper lobbies. These are things MP FPS games need to have at launch. Not having them should be considered completely unacceptable. Other FPS games weren't as pretty, but we far more feature-rich. That matters when talking about long-term player base retention. Promises of future features don't mean shit.

I'm a vet from all the games. If you can trust anyone you might be able to trust me on the situation. It isn't quite as bad as some make it out to be.

First of all the game runs better, is more balanced, and is just a better game than it was at launch. Clan support and retro maps are coming along with coop. Look to see a PS Plus deal at least this year I think for the MP portion possibly.

The spawn rape is because, simply, people are not very good without autoaim and maneuvering through maps without it. A lot of noobs wander around in this game expecting vets to have spawns ready for them at all times. They are a pretty stupid breed of player and you can see this in their terribly low KDRs. Against some kind of irrational thought, you do need to have a decent KDR in teamgames because the less you kill the less you complete any objectives you set out to do. If you can keep around 1 KDR and do objectives you should be fine in this game.

It's not an easy game to just wander into. BUT the game is solid right now with the Insurgent pack. You NEED the M82 as a support and that gun should never have been behind paywall imo. All in all GG has done some pretty great things with performance. Where before I was dropping frames all over the place at random points, now the game seems somewhat stable in 24 player matches.

Honestly, if you are on the fence about this game just try it. The graphics are fantastic for an MP title. Best out there imo. At any rate in a few months the game will be even better. I must say the weapons in this game are imho the best out there PC or console.

You don't need the M82 as a support.

Cornbread78

maybe I was hoping it would be similar to the great community KZ2 had, I mean, I spent almost 500 hours online in that game, I didn't think the MP community for SF would be so dead, so quick... probably more people on KZ2&3 still...

leng jai

Also, you concern trolls can stop promoting KZ2 as a spwnrape free zone man. Anyone who was any good at the game knows exactly how bad it got.

The point is not that the spawn camping isn't rampant, it's that anyone with half a brain wouldn't let themselves be trapped in it (besides on The Wall, which for some idiotic reason has it's base camp turrets behind walls)

I tried it but found it was lacking something. Not sure what it is, it just doesn't feel impactful or meaningful. Maybe it's the weapons, maybe it's the HUD, maybe it's the maps. I don't know.

To claim that Titanfall is a dud is a straight up joke. Game still has a very active community on the xbox one.

As for Killzone, the multiplayer is decent, but there's really not much that draws me back to it. Did they ever fix the fact that there was no public voice chat? Really blew any chance of taking that game seriously at launch because of it's omission.

That's nice, on PC though it's a piece of shit and I regret ever buying it.

no players
removed game modes (lol)
cheaters
shit optimization
Fragmented an already floundering community with shitty DLC

I'm sure there are lots more players on the XBONE, though. It's really pretty easy to figure out why.

cripterion

I second this. Just like single player, gameplay feels very sluggish too. I really forced myself with this title considering I had paid good money for it but I never could get into the game at all.

I tried it but found it was lacking something. Not sure what it is, it just doesn't feel impactful or meaningful. Maybe it's the weapons, maybe it's the HUD, maybe it's the maps. I don't know.

It's the weapons. Maps leave something to be desired too, but it's mostly the weapons. Their design and sound effects, to be specific. Also the molasses-slow movement (presumably to compensate for the lack of aim-assist).

It's gotten better since launch to be sure, but a lot of the core features that took them until December/January/March to implement, and that was simply took too long for people to wait or retain interest. People had already moved onto other games by December (not that the size of the community was ever bigger than a few thousand online at any one time). Also, the MP is pretty dry and bland. Bland weapons, bland sound effects, terrible weapon sounds, bland modes. Just a very unspectacular game visuals aside. After you play something like BF4 or TF with proper sound, you wonder what the fuck they were doing or thinking when they put KZSF's sounds together.

Yeah the sound is weak but I don't agree that the MP is bland. TDM is bland but Warzone to me is fun. Especially since each class has their role and it's such a rewarding experience when you contribute to your team wether it's reviving team mates, setting up turrets, or placing shields. That's something I don't get from BF4 or titanfall. Not saying I don't have fun playing those games but Killzone offers something unique among modern shooters.

this how I felt when playing killzone 3 for the first time on my cousins ps3. the gunplay felt nice and it was really good, but the spawn camping was atrocious. I think my average lifespan was about 2 seconds each time I spawned lol.

Top Bottom