• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the Heck is Advance Wars 3DS

Dual Strike is one of my favorite games of the last few years. Nearly 200 hours in and I still play it. A new Advance Wars game would make me so happy.

jman2050

lolno

Proper balancing and online infrastructure take time and effort.

Balance? In Advance Wars?

This is the same series that has Grit, Sensei, Sami's Super CO Power, Colin's CO Power (most broken thing ever btw), and pretty much everything new in Dual Strike.

Balance is not my first concern when playing Advance Wars :p

I only recently started playing my first Advance Wars game a few days ago (Dual Strike). I own both of the Batallion Wars games though.

I'd love to see more of both series. I doubt we'll get another Batallion Wars though, unfortunately.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I love AW more than FE, to be honest. Less leveling involved, and more strategy. Even though DoR was more balanced, I gotta give it to AW:DS for just being much more fun and stuffed to the rim with content.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GhaleonQ is correct; the series has not done well in Japan for a long time. This is important because 3DS software is by far the most successful, up until now, in Japan--and because each sale in Japan is more profitable for Nintendo due to currency conversion.

Unless IS thinks they can revive the franchise, they've got more popular and more profitable stuff to work on.

Boney

Banned

This is the same series that has Grit, Sensei, Sami's Super CO Power, Colin's CO Power (most broken thing ever btw), and pretty much everything new in Dual Strike.

That's why DS is a fucking mess of a game.

DoR is purrfect though

I'd forgotten how much I loved dominating the map with Sami's Super CO Power! Once I get an XL I'll have to load up some Dual Strike.

This might take some time, isn't IS also making the new Paper Mario?
They're also making Game & Wario for Wii U. Plus more FE Awakening dlc and it's localization.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GhaleonQ is correct; the series has not done well in Japan for a long time. This is important because 3DS software is by far the most successful, up until now, in Japan--and because each sale in Japan is more profitable for Nintendo due to currency conversion.

Unless IS thinks they can revive the franchise, they've got more popular and more profitable stuff to work on.

And to add to this, niche 3DS software is just doing pretty straight up bad in the West.

It's not quite the DS era where you were comparing 10-20 million sellers to 300-500K sellers, but more like 2-5 million sellers to 20-100k sellers.

GSR

AW was such a huge thing to me back when. I spent to so much time on AW forums and the like.

I replayed AW2 and AWDS last fall for the 10th anniversary. Just as good as I remember. :(

And to add to this, niche 3DS software is just doing pretty straight up bad in the West.

It's not quite the DS era where you were comparing 10-20 million sellers to 300-500K sellers, but more like 2-5 million sellers to 20-100k sellers.

Maybe it could be their first iPad game then. :)

I feel really divided on DS vs DoR. I liked DoR for it's darker more realistic setting, mostly great balance (Caulder is broken but I think that's deliberate), and having great online play. That beings said I also disliked the darker setting and complete 180 from what I enjoyed about the earlier AW titles. I enjoyed having tons of different COs in AW:DS even if a lot of them were broken/garbage because it just offered tons of variety. The COs were also more memorable because of this and it's a far easier sell because you have a great balance of easy stages to incredibly challenging ones.

I would really like a new AW to take some of DoR's upgrades (great online, command units, reduced CO powers, new units and balance) and stick them in a game in the AW1-DS universe with all the options of DS and then some.

JohnTonne

I don't know why everyone is saying Days of Ruin bombed, it didn't do any worse than the other games. None of the GBA Advance Wars were released in Japan originally thanks in part to 9/11. They eventually released 1 and 2 (Black Hole Rising) in a 2 in 1 cart.

Hell, even Days of Ruin has a complete Japanese localization if you want to see just set your DS's region to Japan.

As for why we don't have one yet, I'm hoping we will see one down the line, but yeah, like others have said IS is working on a lot right now.

Shaffield

After Days of Ruin, I honestly don't even want a new one. And Dual Strike was perfect, so its really not necessary.

I've played DS for over 150 hours, and I could always just play another 150 if I get that craving.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Started out with Days of Ruin and immediatley fell in love, such a great series. And Days of Ruin remains to be one of my top played DS games. Tried to get into Dual Strike but I guess I am opposite, over-powered co's and just too charmy of a game. Will eventually get to playing more though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Days of Ruin was so good. I don't care if it's like that or old school cute AW. Just gimme anything. And put in a proper fucking war room.

Funny you should mention this because I had a friend just tell me that they'd pick up the system if the Big N announced a new Advance Wars.

So would I.

Firemind

I did say proper. Unit and map balancing are also factored in. Did you play in some of the DoR standard online maps? Some of them were just terribly unbalanced towards a particular unit or CO because of how the map is designed. As for CO balance issues, they can easily tweak the numbers a bit (like say give Colin 80/100 units or don't give Grit 120/100 indirect units or have infantry units cost more like in DoR). Alternatively, boost the other COs like Max so he can blitz through their defenses. Max was nerfed in every following game. It's quite heartbreaking. Sami is fine. Her SCOP is the one thing that makes her stand out from the rest after they nerfed her transport units and it's only unfair when pairing COs, but nobody in their right mind allows that in multiplayer.

Regardless, the development times have never been long and (I assume) the budgets were never particularly high.

Neither were Wario Ware, Tetris Attack, Super Paper Mario and Pushmo, and those don't have online multiplayer. The necessary infrastructure isn't on the level as, say, Super Smash Bros., but it's still work on coding and testing, especially if they want to do it right and they haven't with DoR, and that was released about two and a half years after DS.

It's a shame FE is so popular in Japan.

Pallad1um

Started out with Days of Ruin and immediatley fell in love, such a great series. And Days of Ruin remains to be one of my top played DS games. Tried to get into Dual Strike but I guess I am opposite, over-powered co's and just too charmy of a game. Will eventually get to playing more though.

Same here. Almost 200 hours of play time, and with only a few online games. Without a doubt, the series that will make me purchase a 3DS as soon as its released.

Blizzard

Banned
Wouldn't it be the opposite?

I'm sure IS is hard at work with a new FE after the success of Awakening. Yes DLC is gonna stall the work but it's definately coming. It has a lot of pull now in Japan whereas AW has zero.

I'm guessing we might see an Advance wars after FE3DS 2 so 2015 or something.

Those fucking anti tanks man

For the love of god, pop in AW2 right this second! And trade in Dual Strike for DoR
I would say keep Dual Strike if you haven't played it. Days of Ruin is a different style from Dual Strike, but you might like both (like me). Dual Strike isn't as balanced but I think it can still be quite fun.

AW1 was the shit. I felt as though all the new units and COs introduced in later games were superfluous to the basic core gameplay,, so the original always remained my favorite.

The arstyle change in Days of Ruin was absolutely terrible. I still don't forgive them for that atrocity.

Boney

Banned
AW1 was the shit. I felt as though all the new units and COs introduced in later games were superfluous to the basic core gameplay,, so the original always remained my favorite.

The arstyle change in Days of Ruin was absolutely terrible. I still don't forgive them for that atrocity.

you know what's superflous to gameplay?

Eagle

PK Gaming

Diehard AW fan reporting for duty. I'm patiently waiting for another AW game, I don't think they're ready to bury the series just yet. DoR may have killed the series but it was by far the best one imo hands down (it had an actually "story", online and better balance)

I did say proper. Unit and map balancing are also factored in. Did you play in some of the DoR standard online maps? Some of them were just terribly unbalanced towards a particular unit or CO because of how the map is designed. As for CO balance issues, they can easily tweak the numbers a bit (like say give Colin 80/100 units or don't give Grit 120/100 indirect units or have infantry units cost more like in DoR). Alternatively, boost the other COs like Max so he can blitz through their defenses. Max was nerfed in every following game. It's quite heartbreaking. Sami is fine. Her SCOP is the one thing that makes her stand out from the rest after they nerfed her transport units and it's only unfair when pairing COs, but nobody in their right mind allows that in multiplayer.

Grit actually needs buff, after all he's the worst CO in the game.

As for Max & Sami, Max got better in AWDS (extra fire power to break through "everything" >>> 2 movement) and Sami is already an incredibly overpowered CO so I hope they nerf her if they make a sequel (or better yet, don't apply any nerfs but make the shitty COs better).

80/100 is probably still broken...

Lyude77

Neither were Wario Ware, Tetris Attack, Super Paper Mario and Pushmo, and those don't have online multiplayer. The necessary infrastructure isn't on the level as, say, Super Smash Bros., but it's still work on coding and testing, especially if they want to do it right and they haven't with DoR, and that was released about two and a half years after DS.

More like it's awesome FE is so popular in Japan. :p

I hope we get a new AW soon too, though I agree with the other posters who say its unlikely because it isn't as popular. Maybe we'll get lucky and IS will realize that one game from each franchise per system is enough when you have as many great franchises as they do. I really think it maximizes the sales potential of each game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If we get another entry in the Wars series, the likelihood of it being an eShop release is high. The series isn't that popular compared to other games that Intelligent Systems develops.

And it may be more popular in the US/PAL lands too, but that's no shame considering how long it took for us to actually get a Fire Emblem game in English.

Pushmo, FE:A, Paper Mario, and Game & Wario are all by IS, and will all be released in less than 18 months. Give them some time! We don't know about the 3DS's 1st party line up beyond Christmas (except FE) and we don't even has release dates for anything beyond Mario!

If it happens, I totally expect it to be eShop'd. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. Put it up for $15-20, direct sequel to DoR (stay the course IS), throw in War Room, etc. It's perfect for pick-up-qnd-play and would be a good way to introduce more retail scale games on the shop.

They are trying to figure out how to make it more appealing to otaku, so that it may be as successful as the latest Fire Emblem. Expect swimsuit DLC.

Or, after FE:A's success with it's new art style and more options for casual\beginner players, why wouldn't IS try something similar for the brand if they wanted to keep the series going.

EDIT: Otakus alone did not make FE:A the best selling FE in 20 years. Also, I bought that Festival DLC and it felt good. Tasted like progress.

Boney

Banned
Whoa, what's all this nerf talking? Grit is just fine.

one crazy dude at the gamefaqs

They are trying to figure out how to make it more appealing to otaku, so that it may be as successful as the latest Fire Emblem. Expect swimsuit DLC.

can't wait for them to sexualize this

AWDS_Sami.jpg

Firemind

that's uh

interesting to say the least

Building black bombs is a useful skill toi have.

Max got better in AWDS (extra fire power to break through "everything" >>> 2 movement)

I disagree. The extra movement can mess with a human opponent. Sure, the 190/110 bonus should one-shot just about everything, but it's not necessary if there aren't any ridiculous bottlenecks on the map. Mobility > power. Ask Eagle.

Sami isn't as overpowered as Sensei, Hachi and Colin in my experience. Every city I recapture, they just take it back with overwhelming forces. Competent human players won't fall for the HQ capture.

Kanbei would shit all over 80/100 Colin. Black bombs aside. Fuck black bombs.

Top Bottom