• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp Review Thread + Overview Trailer

Draugoth

Gold Member

cf6a52d93890df44059d7ba1376beec19155112c7b9cff000ba10eabea0f6ecd

Game Information​

Game Title: Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Apr 21, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 78 average - 100% recommended - 9 reviews

FBlI7ud.jpg

Critic Reviews​

ComicBook.com - Marc Deschamps - 4 / 5
For those interested in easing into the turn-based strategy genre, or those with a lot of experience, Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp is a strong option on Nintendo Switch. With two complete games in one, there's a lot of meat in the package, and that's not even factoring in the multiplayer options. WayForward has done a very nice job adhering closely to the Game Boy Advance originals, while offering enough tweaks to make it feel like this package was a better decision compared to putting the originals on Nintendo Switch Online. It's been a while since fans of the series have had a wholly-new game to enjoy, so hopefully this package will lead to more from Nintendo.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Advance Wars 1 + 2 Re-boot Camp is a faithful remake, one that keeps the incredible and engaging tactical core intact. The legacy of Advance Wars as a turn-based strategy franchise remains strong, and its impact on the genre is undeniable.

Enternity.gr - Hektor Apostolopoulos - Greek - Unscored
In purely offline content we can say that Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp is definitely an example to follow for remakes that ask for full price.

Inverse - Hayes Madsen - 9 / 10
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp leans into the toybox aesthetic of the series, giving the first two games a gorgeous new coat of paint, along with several welcome gameplay updates. If you’re a fan of strategic, turn-based gameplay, don’t sleep on this one.

We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 3.5 / 5
Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp is a must-play for casual onlookers, and veterans of the series will probably get a kick out of replaying these two classics. It's just a shame that the online multiplayer is half-baked; this franchise certainly deserves better.

Last edited:

Emedan

Man I remember when the originals released back in the GBA days, I was so jealous of my friends who had an GBA and could play these games, now I finally will be able to.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I already have it downloaded. Ready for another SRPG. I think my last one was Triangle Strategy last year.

I don't believe I ever got around to part 2, so that will be new for me.

It could look better in terms of art design on the models / maps, but I still think it looks good.

edbrat

Man I remember when the originals released back in the GBA days, I was so jealous of my friends who had an GBA and could play these games, now I finally will be able to.

The game that convinced me to get a GBA, it was so damn addictive.

TexMex

Original visuals are better but the reaction to just how bad these are is really oversold. You'd think they're some unmitigated disaster. Perfectly reasonable 3D update that keeps the tone and style of the original.

But beyond that - AW isn't and never was about visuals anyway. As long as the core gameplay is in tact, and it sounds like it is, I'm in. Picking it up Friday.

Banned
unevenly paced 30fps on the map view, unstable unlocked 30fps to 60fps in battle views

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Unity Engine never disappoints if you're looking for a laugh

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Strange they had a whole year to fix the frame rate and pacing, but I guess Nintendo sets a budget and date and you stick to it.

Fbh

I really enjoyed these games on the GBA but I just can't get past how ugly this remakes looks. Completely lost all the charm.

Strange they had a whole year to fix the frame rate and pacing, but I guess Nintendo sets a budget and date and you stick to it.

They delayed the game because of the war in Ukraine.
I doubt they spent any significant extra time working on it

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was excited to replay these games but I have to agree with others: it looks horrible. And I am typically very forgiving or art styles. For $60 I am going to have to pass. I could do $30, but it's too ugly for $60.

What a shame.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Those character models are modern war crime. To go from such soulful sprites to barely mobile game turd chunk blocks for a tank for example is seriously fucked.

Bought it, love the originals and my son said he likes the look of it knew I would. The £50 stings a bit but maybe they will give us a switch was game if it sells.

mcjmetroid

Like I said I really really really want to like this as a massive advance wars fan but man the graphics are the shits. I'm deciding on whether I can get over this or not.

But in fairness, It looks like one of the decisions for using 3D models may be the ability to scale.
You can actually get the entire map onto one screen zoomed out without the need for scrolling which is going to be a game-changer
and the music sounds amazing and sound effects.

Voice acting sounds... fine but either voice the WHOLE game or don't. I hate random grunts and one words for an entire sentence.

Without even playing the game I know this is going to be my review. I won't really bother too much with the online but I'm sure that's probably lackluster.

It must have been a difficult game to review, on one hand these games are amazing 10/10 worthy games
on the other hand it's a very blagh remake so i would think 8/10 is probably the fair score.

Gambit2483

Nintendo fucked up by delaying this...all the wind has gone out of the sails. Stupid Nintendo.

Still getting my copy of course..

Last edited:

Corian33

Why does Nintendo insist on this severely restricted multiplayer functionality? I get that they want to be safe for the kids, but why not just have parental control mode?

This game is absolutely screaming for random matchmaking at the least. Ranked modes, automatic tournaments, asynchronous turns, more players, etc. so much potential squandered.

I’ll just wait for Warside. Total clone but new stuff for half the price.

mcjmetroid

I have two complaints right off the bat.

1: you cannot skip tutorials despite nell asking you if youve played advance wars before
2: maybe it unlocks after the tutorial but you cannot turn off animations entirely? The only options are music on and music off. Yes you can speed up the gameplay with ZR but do people really want to watch those battle animations everytime?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m having a lot of fun. I’m 5 missions in. My stepdaughter likes it and asked me to buy it for her. I bought her Mario + Rabbits and she didn’t like it. I’m kinda shocked she likes this. She’s all about telling me which troops to use and which cities to capture. I let her play and she was really into it. Shocking and awesome to finally have something other than Animal Crossing and Minecraft to talk about. I don’t get the gripes. The game looks great.

Fake

Looks like a solid strategy game, dunno what the hate is about with some of y’all.

Looks OKish, but I guess the problem is the company that translated. They should approach like SoR4 company did. 3D maybe wasn't the best pick.

Using 2D would be better for the framerate.

Last edited:
Love these games on DS/GBA. I'll pick it up. Guessing if I wanted to play multiplayer with my daughter on two Switches, we'd need two copies of the game though? :messenger_sad_relieved:

Top Bottom