• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the hell is next-gen MINECRAFT?

Beechos

I remember reading at some point it was scrapped. This was the version that was shown during the xbox one x reveal with all the fancy lighting.

Fredrik

I guess they’re waiting for the sales to slow down on the original first, should happen any day now, it’s at 230+ million, how much longer can it take until all gamers have it?

nikolino840

I guess they’re waiting for the sales to slow down on the original first, should happen any day now, it’s at 230+ million, how much longer can it take until all gamers have it?
Everyday there's a new 10 years old kid that ask parents to buy minecraft.....
Maybe need more people like me that f### every 8 years like Spock 🤣

Fredrik

Everyday there's a new 10 years old kid that ask parents to buy minecraft.....
Maybe need more people like me that f### every 8 years like Spock 🤣
Lol yeah you’re right this train might never stop moving. It’s kinda wild if you do some match on it. If you split up the total it has sold 20 million per year, 1.7 million per month.

Greirat

The "upgraded" ray-traced version looked worse, in my opinion. Adding a bunch of shiny effects on top just ruins the beauty of the game.

Fahdis

Which reminds me. I'll be buying it soon.

Bragr

Banned
It has an official ray-traced version on PC, I've been playing it and it looks great, but the view distance is tiny, I usually revert back to standard. It does look good though, but I can understand why it was scrapped on Xbox, it's just too damn resource-heavy to get a good version of Minecraft going on the consoles.

minecraft-rtx-screenshot-15.jpg

Minecraft is ironically so resource intensive that any visual improvement would tax the strongest computers a gamer can realistically buy.

Basically the game is already pushing the limits of what hardware is able to do, due to the scope of the game. Them raising the height limits doesn't help things.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
You must wait till your console hardware is outdated before you get an acceptable choice of games that take advantage of the hardware.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
it's here

These are the worlds I have been playing, it's pre-built worlds, you can't generate your own for some reason, and as I mentioned earlier, the view distance and options are limited to make it actually playable.

It feels like some controlled beta thing, if you played normal Minecraft a lot, it feels very stinted and restrictive, even if it looks great.

The problem is, I would think, that when you expand the view distance, the amount of light calculation becomes absurd and it will lag even heavy-duty computers. I would guess that this is the issue with ray-tracing on consoles too, the games aren't built ground-up with ray-tracing in mind, and it becomes hard to force it into the game later, so you end up with these half-ass ray-tracing modes. Like Cyberpunk, for example, it looks good with ray-tracing, but it's nowhere NEAR as cool as you would expect, and I would imagine a lot of that is because if they boost it to maximum, it would crash the game. At least that is my presumption with no understanding of ray-tracing at all.

Stitch

Gold Member
Last edited:

Mars2003

Neo Member
Had a look back at the trailer for the cancelled super duper graphics pack and I think it looked great. I would've thought the X/S would've been able to handle it and they could've put it out as a stopgap until DXR version was ready.
That path traced XSX version we saw a year ago looked pretty done to me, I'm surprised we've not seen it yet and more surprised there's been nothing said ever since.

Yeah I think the super duper graphics pack was better overall than the ray traced version. Shame that neither has seen the light of day as of yet.

The raytraced one seems a bit pointless if it cant lock at 60fps at decent rez and draw distance etc. Maybe that's why it hasn't arrived. The raytracing capability of these new consoles ain't that great.

But yes, bring back the super duper pack for next gen consoles only please uncle phil.

skit_data

It’s wierd because DF said they saw Minecraft running with RT on a Series X console several months before the consoles even launched

Top Bottom