• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

where's my futuristic open world sandbox?

Muffdraul

I remember when Tron Legacy came out, I had just finished my second time playing through Red Dead Redemption... all I wanted was a Tron open world game, were you cruised around from mission to mission on a lightcycle.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
American McGee's Scrapland(PC, XBox) is a sort of open world, it's a really underrated awesome game with lots of personality.
Here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfElh_pEZK4

146933_full.jpg

146943_full.jpg

I want something like Blade Runner. Really dark and dystopian, wet and reflective, and only lit by the artificial lighting of neon street signs etc. The Samaritan UE4 demo kind of had that feel to it. There was also this other supposedly impressive game in the same vein for Oculus Rift that some sites we're raving about a little while back. Can't remember the name though.

I really want a GTA style game with flying cars and vertically built cities. Maybe that's possible on current tech?

Corine

Windforge, Starbound, Signs of Life, Darkout, Edge of Space, and Planet Explorers are all open world futuristic sandbox games.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope that at some point Rockstar do a Blade Runner game, or something similar.

ZdkDzk

Where's my Asimov/Clark/old sci-fi inspired anything. I'm sick of post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk, steampunk, war in space, and hyper sci-fi.

Also, No Man's Sky

Chev

I guess only having to take both player-driving controls and AI driving/traffic to the third dimension, and inside a skyscraper-city to boot, is enough of a challenge to scare devs away.

Actually it's one of those problems when the solution used for 2 dimensions works fine with 3 dimensions. Basically traffic AIs in games follow an invisible network that, not coincidentally, happens to match with roads so they drive on them, but you can put the lanes in the air and it'll work fine.

Yep, there's a lack of imagination going on in AAA gaming. Can't believe it's 2014 and I'm still waiting for my future set open-world game with flying cars and shit.

Though I will say that Red Faction 2 was pretty awesome.

Fjordson

I'm dying for something like this. It's partially why I was so heartbroken about Prey 2's cancellation / reboot.

Rockstar making a Blade Runner game or something similar would be incredible. The size and detail of their worlds, but set in a cyberpunk future? Sign me the fuck up.

Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 scratches some of this itch. I definitely have faith in CD Projekt.

I was kind of hoping that after the Mass Effect trilogy wrapped up, we'd get some sort of GTA ersatz set on the Citadel. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, though.

abadguy

Banned
Buy a bowl of ramen in the rain from a food hovertruck while staking out the apartment of an illegal pulse weapon dealer, then spot him stepping out of a hover taxi before using the retinal scanner to get into his apartment building and following him inside, pulling out your custom revolver with anti-cyborg-and-android ammo and biometric lock, only for the guy's cyborg eye to spot you through the back of his head using thermal imaging leading into a chase across the rooftops against the backdrop of a sick-ass cyber-ass-punk motherfucking futuristic cityscape, perhaps?

This would be GOTY!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Am I crazy or isn't the Samaritan/Infiltrator tech demo still in development as a full game?

I swear I saw someone post a screenshot of the trench coat dude from Samaritan in the UE4 editor in tpose and mention something about how many polygons he had. Of course, I can't find the post I'm thinking of so I'm probably imagining the whole thing.

Shogun1337

Without reading any post in here:

Cyberpunk 2077

Edit:

Well...Cyberpunk 2077 is probably coming out in 2016.

I've wanted one for years and seeing Vekta City in Shadowfall just made me want it even more.

Hoping that Cyberpunk will quench the thirst.

Crossing my fingers for Cyberpink2077

I've been begging for this for ages now. I'm sick to death of modern day/apocalyptic/fantasy open worlds at this point.

I'm definitely hoping Cyberpunk is that.

I'm really hoping Cyberpunk 2077 will scratch that itch.

I feel you, OP. I was hoping for Prey 2 but those dreams are dead now. Cyberpunk 2077 is our biggest hope right now.

I've been waiting for this for years.

For a moment a thought Prey2 would be the answer. Now I'm waiting for Cyperpunk 2077.

Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 scratches some of this itch. I definitely have faith in CD Projekt.

Yeah that sounds about right

It's probably a measure of scope.

Take "post-apocalypse" sandbox games, for example. Or even fantasy games. It's all good that they have wide open areas with not a person in sight, because it makes sense to the narrative.

A sprawling science fiction metropolis setting would likely need something on every square inch or it wouldn't feel very real. The only studio I know that can do that successfully is Rockstar. So unless their next game is Grand Theft Spaceship, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Yeah Rockstar is the only one with the scale and funding to make that futuristic world come alive. Too bad it seems they have no interest in deviating from current formula.

Forkball

Buy a bowl of ramen in the rain from a food hovertruck while staking out the apartment of an illegal pulse weapon dealer, then spot him stepping out of a hover taxi before using the retinal scanner to get into his apartment building and following him inside, pulling out your custom revolver with anti-cyborg-and-android ammo and biometric lock, only for the guy's cyborg eye to spot you through the back of his head using thermal imaging leading into a chase across the rooftops against the backdrop of a sick-ass cyber-ass-punk motherfucking futuristic cityscape, perhaps?
Is this before or after I collect 100 nanocircuits scattered throughout the city?

Tenrius

a916

I wonder how interesting it would be if you could just fly those hover cars everything, effectively removing the need to swerve through roads and traffic... kinda sounds boring to be honest.

But if anyone can make it work, I'd like to see Rockstar take a shot at it.

Something like that, where the detail and small nuances that need to be spread vertically requires a very deep team and a big budget. No offense to any other developer there, but Rockstar's vehicle sandbox games a notch above the rest.

Tekku

I always wanted this as well. When I saw Hengsha in Deus Ex: HR I really started to see the potential of a sci-fi open world.

But I imagine it would take lots of work to create those kind of cities because it's all up to the developers imagination.

Top Bottom