• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's the line between cultural cross pollination and cultural appropriation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik81

I'd say that is pretty accurate, though I live in Japan and many celebrate Christmas without having the faintest clue what it's about and that to me is cultural appropriation.
Christmas itself is a mishmash of winter solstice festivals. The primary reason why it's celebrated in December is because without something like that to pass the time it's cold and boring.

Fundamentally, they celebrate Christmas for the same reason we celebrate Christmas.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Cultural Appropriation = Love your culture, hate or dont care for your people - uses and not credit where it came from(renaming etc....).

Cross Pollination = result of collaboration between cultures.

border

Office culture is different the majority of the time but its irrelevant in the sense that a white person with long hair is not shunned in the same way a black person with an afro or dread is despite the fact that that is naturally how the hair grows out. This is not specifically cultural appropriation more than straight shaming and discrimination though

Cultural appropriation is framed really broadly as "Person of color is shamed for xxxxx, but a white person is praised for xxxxxx!" Whether it's an afro or a ponytail or a mullet, long hair is basically never praised in an office environment, and is almost always a detriment to how people perceive you as a professional.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You're unaware hair such as afros, cornrows and dreads are looked down upon as unprofessional in the work place? As a black male in an office setting I know if I don't keep short hair I'm huriting my chances. Its already known being black makes it hard enough to break in, you think that people wanna risk a bad firstbimpressiom with those hairatyles knowing fully well the general opinion on them?

Do you think everyone telling you this shit is lying?
And here's where it gets complicated, I've gotten a lot of professionally positive attention because of my dreads, but that might have to do with 1. My location and 2. With my industry. So I might have the urge to say "having dreads doesn't matter for your professional career as a black person" but my situation isn't necessarily indicative of others.

andthebeatgoeson

Cultural appropriation is often criticized as a double standard. But there's a world of difference between being a reality television star with cornrows, a teenager girl on Twitter with cornrows, and being a junior accounting executive with cornrows.

Generally speaking, I don't see many successful white/latino executives with dreadlocks, afros, or cornrows. Especially for men, hairstyles outside of a very specific norm are shunned in any almost any office environment.

The problem is allowing BS arguments to prop up behavior. Black women, in particular, have limited options. If not a permed hairstyle, what's left? Natural, braids, dreads? No. And a lot of the rational is based on what the consumer's are comfortable. Which gets very close to condoning racist behavior in pursuit of the mighty dollar.

Yeah, you are right, most of business attire is about conformity but that doesn't prevent us from criticizing it. Nor criticizing how easily business bends to the privileged. We shouldn't condone racist or sexist behavior. We shouldn't be comfortable with forcing women to wear skirts or disallowing well kept hair styles. No one is asking for a mohawk with pink glitter but it's hard for me to criticize well kept braids when it is difficult for a black woman to look presentable with great options that doesn't involve chemicals.

And the people making the rules are a part of a systemic racist system that benefits them, only.

What you may not see is the varied hairstyles deemed to be acceptable and how hard it is for a woman to adjust.

Cultural appropriation is framed really broadly as "Person of color is shamed for xxxxx, but a white person is praised for xxxxxx!" Whether it's an afro or a ponytail or a mullet, long hair is basically never praised in an office environment, and is almost always a detriment to how people perceive you as a professional.

2 things.

1. Minority candidates have a bigger hill to climb if they want to wear a traditional hairstyle and still be taken seriously.

2. The the culture of short hair is one that was started by corporate white america. Those standards then were spread out to everyone else. There is a difference between white people collective saying "we want short hair to represent professionalism for us" and applying that standard and white people saying "we want our standard of professionalism in short hair to apply to all you minorities regardless pf what you want.or what is reasonable for you to accomplish" .

Make sense? This isn't really appropriation tho, its just plain ignorant and discrimatory.

marrec

Banned
Could you elaborate regarding the American Indigenous Peoples? Because I'm not sure I get what you're saying there (genuinely ignorant of what you're referring to). Specifically, what was appropriated from them? What customs can they not practice? This seems far more like the result of violent physical colonialism rather than a cultural issue that happens in a relatively peaceful society. I feel like it's a different thing.

What are the potentially devastating effects of the 'appropriation' of black culture? If anything I imagine it brings society closer together, and makes the black community seem less like an 'other'. From that perspective it seems like a good thing to me.

The violent colonialism spawns the appropriation.

Let me explain, natural mysticism and earth spiritualism was quickly appropriated from native cultures by white europeans in early America while the indigenous religious expression was suppressed whenever possible. Academia treated their heritage as a living experiment of history rather than actual cultural expressions. Their religious and historical sites were destroyed by tourists (that's still happening, to an extent) and academics who had zero regard for the actual people to whom those sites were most valuable.

These are obviously more violent than just wearing a ceremonial headdress and making funny noises, but they're different degrees on the same scale. It condenses culture and expresses it in a distilled form that has no context or identity while the actual people who practice and live in that culture are squeezed from all sides into changing who they are and where they have come from. Which is one small reason why the indigenous peoples of America are in such a state of financial and cultural crisis right now, if you live long enough under an oppressor who is distilling your culture and preventing you from practicing it then you no longer have any identity but that which the oppressor gives you.

The same can be said of black America, but in smaller doses that are easier for people in 2015 to ignore. You may think the idea that black people becoming homogenous with white people would be great, but I think that black people and white people together should be choosing when and where the lines are between our culture and theirs become blurry... we shouldn't be forcing our identities to coalesce as the cultural identity of black America has immense value to everyone in this country.

I'm not an expert on this subject unfortunately, so that's pretty much the extent of my opinion on it, but we know that cultural appropriation has real negative side-effects because we can see the results in indigenous cultures across the globe.

Cultural Appropriation = Love your culture, hate or dont care for your people - uses and not credit where it came from(renaming etc....).

Cross Pollination = result of collaboration between cultures.

Exactly. For it to be cross pollination, there should be an actual discourse going on, and exchange of equal footing.

Like a conversation, not a colonization.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Isn't that it? Holidays are the perfect example as how they were culturally appropriated by big business into money schemes. Halloween, Christmas, Labor Day, etc

It's not appropriated as such though. We celebrated Yule before Christmas was a thing over here. We still call it Yule's Eve too and celebrate on the 24th like we (pretty much) always have.

And here's where it gets complicated, I've gotten a lot of professionally positive attention because of my dreads, but that might have to do with 1. My location and 2. With my industry. So I might have the urge to say "having dreads doesn't matter for your professional career as a black person" but my situation isn't necessarily indicative of others.

I wont say it always tirns out bad. But its still uniformly.true that anything but short hair will draw negative attention initially. Epecially when its in an interview with complete strangers.

Azih

Could you elaborate regarding the American Indigenous Peoples? Because I'm not sure I get what you're saying there (genuinely ignorant of what you're referring to). Specifically, what was appropriated from them? What customs can they not practice?
Appropriation doesn't mean the culture copied can't carry out the practice anymore.

What are the potentially devastating effects of the 'appropriation' of black culture? If anything I imagine it brings society closer together, and makes the black community seem less like an 'other'. From that perspective it seems like a good thing to me.

The way Elvis did it and the way Eminem did it are two examples with the first being bad and the second not so much. Elvis took a black genre of music, performed them with white musicians and suddenly it was taken as the best thing ever by the mainstream society while the originators of the form were left behind.

Eminem took a black genre of music, and performed it, but he kept associations with the black creators of the form, gave them respect and highlighted them, and introduced the new fans he brought in to them so they all prospered.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I wont say it always tirns out bad. But its still uniformly.true that anything but short hair will draw negative attention initially. Epecially when its in an interview with complete strangers.
I think it's still a very real concern, but I can't speak from a place of direct knowledge on it. My mom worried a lot about me getting a job with dreads though.

Could you elaborate? What would this conversation look like ideally?

Black fraternity t+ Asian fraternity:

"Hey can we learn how to step? We're thinking about adding something like this to one of our cultural shows."

"Yea, we can do that. Our historically black fraternity has been for damn near 100 years. It'll take awhile, though."

"Oh that's cool man. We appreciate it."

*at step practice*

"Yea so this move is called blah blah blah. It originates from a bit of African and Caribbean dance with a touch of tap. You can see it in these moves mostly. Black frats and sororities have been doing this stuff for a long time."

In such a situation, the group with the culture observes, critiques, and helps the group tailor their performance to properly reflect the tradition and heritage they'd like to experience while helping them find ways to make it their own.

That's what cross-pollination looks like. A conversation, a mutual respect, and a respect for what is being mimicked.

I think it's still a very real concern, but I can't speak from a place of direct knowledge on it. My mom worried a lot about me getting a job with dreads though.

Canada yo haha. My parents drilled it into me to keep short and clean shaven for all job related stuff. Once yiu are there for a while you can do other hair stuff. Wont.matter as muxh.

Infinite

Since this topic comes up often here I'll keep this link handy.

https://medium.com/the-response/the-fabric-of-appropriation-772dc2f67c7a

It's a pretty good primer on the ins and outs of cultural appropriation. It's not very long at all and comes complete with graphics. Everyone curious about this topic should give it a glance and maybe you'll learn something.

According to the article it's important to remember three things when having this discussion and that is Source, Significance, and Similarity.

The article says in conclusion
culture has never existed in a vacuum but maybe it's not so much about who has control over a design but whether the people it originates from feel in control of their identities.

Which is a powerful way to end the article and ultimate what discussions of cultural appropriation boil down to.

Black fraternity t+ Asian fraternity:

"Hey can we learn how to step? We're thinking about adding something like this to one of our cultural shows."

"Yea, we can do that. Our historically black fraternity has been for damn near 100 years. It'll take awhile, though."

"Oh that's cool man. We appreciate it."

*at step practice*

"Yea so this move is called blah blah blah. It originates from a bit of African and Caribbean dance with a touch of tap. You can see it in these moves mostly. Black frats and sororities have been doing this stuff for a long time."

In such a situation, the group with the culture observes, critiques, and helps the group tailor their performance to properly reflect the tradition and heritage they'd like to experience while helping them find ways to make it their own.

That's what cross-pollination looks like. A conversation, a mutual respect, and a respect for what is being mimicked.

Don't be so politically correct, Dreams. /s

collige

Banned
Let's forget what I'm saying for a second as you don't appear to understand why cultural appropriation is an issue.

What is your opinion on cultural appropriation? And I mean specifically pertaining to race.

My opinion is that the anger towards specific individuals that are appropriating is misplaced while double standards that are applied to different races doing the same thing by the majority culture is a real problem that has justifiably gotten attention recently. I agree with pretty much everything Opiate has posted in this thread.

Subtle

Since this topic comes up often here I'll keep this link handy.

https://medium.com/the-response/the-fabric-of-appropriation-772dc2f67c7a

It's a pretty good primer on the ins and outs of cultural appropriation. It's not very long at all and comes complete with graphics. Everyone curious about this topic should give it a glance and maybe you'll learn something.

According to the article it's important to remember three things when having this discussion and that is Source, Significance, and Similarity.

The article says in conclusion

Which is a powerful way to end the article and ultimate what discussions of cultural appropriation boil down to.

That end quote is powerful. Probably the best explanation of cultural appropriation I've ever seen. Should be posted in every cultural appropriation thread in the future.

I have a sweater with some color patterns that would be associated with South American native peoples. I bought it in La Paz, Bolivia, at a shop owned by native Bolivians. While I was there I spent a lot of money in the country. I really loved my time there and have a lot of respect for the culture. I'm genuinely a fan of the art style. If people ask about it, I tell them where I bought it.

As a white person, is it problematic for me to wear this sweater? Y/N?

Azih

I have a sweater with some color patterns that would be associated with South American native peoples. I bought it in La Paz, Bolivia, at a shop owned by native Bolivians. While I was there I spent a lot of money in the country. I really loved my time there and have a lot of respect for the culture. I'm genuinely a fan of the art style. If people ask about it, I tell them where I bought it.

I'd say ask a Bolivian person, but I wouldn't think so.

Infinite

You won't get definitive answer. I'm curious about who manufactured the sweater in questions. The fashion industry finds itself being in these discussions a lot.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The way Elvis did it and the way Eminem did it are two examples with the first being bad and the second not so much. Elvis took a black genre of music, performed them with white musicians and suddenly it was taken as the best thing ever by the mainstream society while the originators of the form were left behind.

Eminem took a black genre of music, and performed it, but he kept associations with the black creators of the form, gave them respect and highlighted them, and introduced the new fans he brought in to them so they all prospered.

There was no way a white audience was going to listen to black artists doing this music until white artists started doing it first. It just wasn't going to happen. You can blame Elvis for that but I don't realistically see how. That was the culture of the time, just a fact. Elvis and other white artists who 'stole" the music actually were progressive enough to reach beyond that cultural divide and find some great music.

Also, once white audiences started listening to it, they also started listening to black artists. BB King, Chuck Berry, Albert King, Buddy Guy, T. Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf, Jimi Hendrix, etc. etc. were and are popular with white audiences now. I think that Elvis and the many British artists who did the blues (John Mayall, Clapton, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, etc.) all are responsible for that. Yes, I do think it is sad that it took a bunch of Brits to introduce great American music to mainstream American audiences, but that's how it goes.

Azih

You can blame Elvis for that
Not blaming Elvis. In this case I'm blaming the society. But you can see how African Americans would be angered by that sort of thing.

The point about Brits vs Americans is interesting though. The Beatles going all yoga hindu hippie for example feels different than other examples because those guys actually went to India and 'learned at the feet of the gurus' or whatever. It felt like they actually made an effort and listened to the people in the culture they were intrigued by.

LeleSocho

Banned
I mean... if you stopped caring about a real, studied, and harmful expression of colonialism because a single black person said something you disagree with...

I have serious doubts you cared about it before then.

You just wanted a reason. FOH w/ this lazy logic

Then you never cared in the first place.
Yeah maybe i explained my position like crap, let's try make it more clear...
I was talking about cultural appropriation's talks, aka when people try to dissect everything to understand if it falls under cultural appropriation or not. I personally think that we are not in a period when it's worth discussing between friends and acquaintances because it always happens that someone makes a list with the most insane things about what is in fact cultural appropriation.
I strongly believe real cultural appropriation is painfully obvious when it happens.

sn00zer

Being inspired by other cultures is fine. Using and abusing that culture is not fine. Its a fine line though and Ive seen a lot of people interpret inspiration from as cultural appropriation of.

A more uncommon version of cultural appropriation is "belly dancing". Recentl there has ben an uptick in "bell dancing" locations run mostl by white people which has pissed off some of the Arabic community. Bell dancing is actually a Middle Eastern dance called "Raqs Sharqi" and is held in high regard as a primary example of Arabic culture. Now this is where it gets interesting. "Raqs Sharqi" was actually "taken" from poor gypsies in Egypt way back when. So belly dancing is essentially cultural appropriation of cultural appropriation.

Basically dont exploit other culturals, be inspired by them. I think some creativity though recently has been stifled for people quick to say "cultural appropriation" especially in clothing design.

sn00zer

In regard to white Americans in terms of cultural appropriation.

White American culture sucks. If youre family has been here long enough that your basically a Euro mutt and you have no "fatherland" youre stuck with bullshit American culture that is dominated by the Midwest stamp of Walmarts, Taco Bells, and Subways. Then there is the whole history of slave ownership, war, and basically most bad things that happened to minorities to go along with it. I think now especially a lot of americans are trying to find any sort of culture they can call their own, which has lead to a lot of people looking to other cultures.

I dont think most of this "cultural appropriation" is malicious. There is of course some, such as the warped perception that black culture is gansta culture, but I think its just a lot of lost white people who want something more than the nothing culture they were born into.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think we need to acknowledge that is perfectly fine to blend culture in a piecemeal fashion. Sometimes it's not about things being bad or uncool, but there just isn't or hasn't yet been interest.

But that runs the risk of excising particular cultural identifiers without the background which makes them meaningful, e.g. wearing a bindi because you think it looks cute without having any idea what it means or stands for.

I would but I'm too afraid that I'll get accused of appropriating black culture or latino culture.

There's certainly a discussion to be had here. Illegal substances are illegal specifically because they used to be minority drugs, as opposed to alcohol. Legislation was to keep PoC down.
Now that some white nerds "feel their pain" (appropriate it) because they weren't popular in high school, legalization is magically gaining more traction.

Ikael

Despite of the earnest efforts of the music and cinema industries and their anti-piracy lawsuits, shamless copycats have been the norm during history and during the shaping of virtually every culture on Earth, not the exception. It is wired in our brains: monkey sees, monkey likes, monkey do.

The whole "asking permission first to use something that doesn't belong into your culture" or wanting a "collaboration of cultures" is absolutely unrealistic. There are no representatives of a certain culture, for culture is by design something nebulous, abstract and quite antithetical to institutionalization. And like the saying says, there's no more sincere form of flattery than imitation.

Another entirely different issue are double standards ("this started being cool only when XXX people do it") and mis-attribution ("white people invented rock").

Mis-attribution is simply a matter of education and frankly, it affects almost every culture out there. There are a billion archievements and inventions that were wrongfully attributed to another person or culture than people thinks (Brazilian Santos Dumont invented flight, not the Wright brothers, zero numeral was an Indian, not Arab invention, etc, etc).

Double standards are indeed fucking bullshit, but they don't have anything to do with appropiation. They are a sympthom rather than the cause: Rock n' Roll only started to be successful once white people adopted it because white people had a disparate purchasing power and media exposure in the US. These are the true problems (economic inequality trought racial lines) but people likes to be fixated in the cultural aspect (aka, the sympthon rather than the illness) since waging cultural wars is something far more entertaining and politically safe than trying to address income inequality, I fear.

GamerJM

Banned
I see cultural appropriation as a negative when something involving context is taken from another culture, but if the context of the culture isn't really of significant importance to whatever is being taken from the culture then I don't see it as a problem.

Black Americans invented every major form of music in the US. But you wouldn't know this because it's been whitewashed. Many of the hit songs from the 1950's and 60's were white artists, stealing the work of black artists, and doing a worse job with the music! Elvis stole black dance moves and music, performed them for white America, and never credited the source, for instance.

I would say that Kraftwerk essentially invented the current dominant form of music. They're directly responsible for the electronic music that dominates today.

When you borrow from another culture, but you maintain a hatred for or a disdain of that culture, that's appropriation. And when you literally try to revise history or pretend that you actually invented the things that you got from another culture, that's wrong.

Black Americans invented every major form of music in the US. But you wouldn't know this because it's been whitewashed. Many of the hit songs from the 1950's and 60's were white artists, stealing the work of black artists, and doing a worse job with the music! Elvis stole black dance moves and music, performed them for white America, and never credited the source, for instance.

And it's not just limited to music and dance. Fashion, slang, even food, all stolen from us. But a lot of times it's warped to fit the mainstream. Full lips and big butts are desirable in white women. Black women with these traits are still shown as less attractive. Tanned skin, another example, or certain hairstyles.

You can have cultural cross pollination in a respectful way. That's not what we have here in America, not between black culture and white culture, at least.

Elvis was open when it came to his influences which came from a scene and culture he was a part of as a teenager and greatly respected black artists. The theft largely came from record companies who would screw over black artists, take their songs, give them to white performers and not credit or pay the black creators of a song.

Then you have shit like Pat Boone who only had a career thanks to racist moralists and conservatives in the 50s creating an opening in the music industry for "squeaky clean" "rock and roll" (which wasn't rock and roll) pop music for the white kids' parents found acceptable.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I would say that Kraftwerk essentially invented the current dominant form of music. They're directly responsible for the electronic music that dominates today.

I don't really think it makes sense to credit single artists with the creation of entire genres or periods of music. Cultural evolution is always a collaborative process.

Apt101

I think once something hits "the mainstream" or pop culture, those elements have pretty much just become a larger contributor to the society it's in. I used to not get the cultural appropriation argument at all until a black woman explained why she found it somewhat offensive for non-black men and women to alter their hair styles to resemble afros, or to make dreadlocks. That's something her race dealt with because it was physical, and others were doing it to make a fashion statement or for theater. That I get. But minor, purely aesthetic or shallow things, like non-white people starting to wear skinny jeans or white people doing a stupid dance, is simply not appropriation in my mind. I think suggesting it actually is, is more insulting to the cultures one might claim others are stealing from, as they're so trivial and trendy as to be meaningless - they're merely fads - so suggesting it's somehow part of their culture is belittling.

I understand the basic principle of cultural appropriation, but there always comes a point where those propounding the idea are arguing that there is thus a concomitant responsibility of people in the dominant group to actively avoid doing things that could be considered appropriative. This can consist of little things like saying that white girls who get dreadlocks are insensitive schmucks to big things like saying that white rappers and hip-hop artists/dancers are actively harming black folk by encroaching into "their" territory.

It simply will never be the case that human beings will discern nor observe strict cultural boundaries, and trying to attach an ethical dimension to acts that are basically harmless on the level of the person doing them and only become harmful as a result of the confluence of a million other factors outside that initial "transgressor's" control is misguided and silly.

injurai

Banned
But that runs the risk of excising particular cultural identifiers without the background which makes them meaningful, e.g. wearing a bindi because you think it looks cute without having any idea what it means or stands for.

Firstly, what I said does not imply that when you take something piecemeal you're also ignoring its cultural background. What I mean is you learn of a culture, and may only incorporate select aspects that you wish to replicate, emulate, test, try, experience, etc. yourself. When you pick out something it's not that you're labeling all facets of a culture good/bad and discarding and disparaging the bad. It's that your literally just expanding your horizons on life and trying to share in something new or different.

I also think then there are responsibilities on both sides. Those who have appropriated should certainly try to familiarize themselves with what it is that they might be appropriating, but they might never get every nuance or facet. Those who have been appropriated from should be cognizant that once appropriated it can take on a new meaning and it shouldn't be held up as the same thing.

So festival girls wearing a bindi, I guarantee back in the 60's when learning about eastern religions got popular that many understood what it meant. But now in our culture it's become a common getup for young festival goers who want to exercise an expression of free spirit. Often times culture will be passed along multiple times over and if it exist in a mostly art, aesthetic, festival, music domain and outside of everyday life. It will lose that everyday explicit intentional justification that the practice originally held.

Vodh

The only instances where I believe it's a harmful thing are when

1) it's being praised when done by a member of the dominant ethnicity but mocked when done by someone from a minority by the same entity (be it a person or a magazine or a company) in the same time period (so no, just because some racist assholes mock an aspect of a culture does not mean there's anything wrong about other members of that race to ever touch it)

2) it's done in a mocking, derogatory fashion. I.e. dancing around a tree in a ceremonial headdress for shits and giggles = wrong, wearing dreads because you like the way they look = OK.

That's about it. Anyone who's saying anything that boils down to "White people should not be allowed to do things that weren't invented by white people" or the diet version, "White people should not be allowed to do things that weren't invented by white people if any other white person has ever mocked or ridiculed that thing" can fuck right off.

The act in of itself of a white person rapping or having cornrows is not cultural appropriation. There is nothing wrong with either, nor does a white person need to use a disclaimer about how they support or acknowledge black social causes in order to unlock access to these things. Cultural appropriation emerges when something that was once vilified or dismissed is suddenly adopted wholesale by another culture, thus giving it validation.

A separate factor is the reality that people tend to gravitate towards people who look like them. I "get" why a white person might get into hip hop due to the Beastie Boys or Eminem, the same way many black people started giving a fuck about golf once Tiger Woods emerged. There's nothing wrong with that, it's perfectly understandable. The problem is when someone tries to argue hip hop was simplistic or noise before Eminem arrived, or that Elvis made rock n roll, etc.

A Jenner wearing cornrows is nothing more to me than a girl trying out one of the million hairstyles she'll preview on instagram this year. I haven't seen her declare herself the inventor of cornrows or any other hairstyle she selects. If I'm going to fault anyone it would be the media, who have traditionally dismissed those types of hairstyles when black women wear them.

(although to be fair cornrows look shitty across the board)

This is one of the better posts on the subject, and I think identifies the conflict when there are similar conversations on here about cultural appropriation. Pretty much articulated my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom