• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Actor Has Had The Best Career Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Clark Gable and John Wayne have to be up there for best careers.

Not necessarily my favorite actors but they were both legends and icons.

thenexus6

Jackie Chan, doing things no one else would do or will ever do, for the sake of entertaining people...

A true legend.

3353.jpg

Harrison Ford

He has headline performances in two of the world's best known and loved movie series Indiana Jones and Star Wars as Han Solo. He also played Tom Clancy's iconic hero Jack Ryan and a leading role in Blade Runner. Add in Witness and The Fugitive to show his great acting chops.
Frantic was pretty good too.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ronald Reagan

Was a huge movie star, then eventually became the president of the united states

Huge movie star? Not really. I've seen hundreds movies from the thirties and forties and I've seen no more than two movies that had Ronald Reagan in a supporting role. The vast majority of Reagan's movies were completely forgettable (and deservedly forgotten) B-movies. Reagan never made it to the big league despite starring in dozens of movies.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I only ever see Tom Hanks when Tom Hanks is acting.....i dont een know if he is a good actor

Go watch "Captain Phillips". Hanks should have been nominated for an Academy Award for that role IMO. His breakdown after they saved him was some of the best acting I've seen in years.

Zakalwe

Banned
Leo D has been consistently great. Even his lesser films are worth seeing for his turn.

Shout out to:
Matthew M (great comeback)
Nick C (Just the sheer volume and craziness)

kruis

Best career ever? I'd nominate Clint Eastwood and I think it's impossible to top his achievements. A career spanning five decades, became hugely popular as a TV actor, went on to become a successful movie star, starred in bona fide masterpieces (Once Upon a Time in the West, For A Few Dollars More, Unforgiven), created legendary catch phrases ("Make my day, punk", won four Academy Awards as a director/producer, received the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, wrote the soundtrack for many of his movies and made the biggest BO hit of 2014 (American Sniper) at the age of 84. And he's still making making movies. His next movie Sully will come out next year when Eastwood will be 86 years old.

Machine

Robert Downey Jr. What a great career it would be/is to become insanely wealthy by playing a character that is an extension of yourself.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Best career ever? I'd nominate Clint Eastwood and I think it's impossible to top his achievements. A career spanning five decades, became hugely popular as a TV actor, went on to become a successful movie star, starred in bona fide masterpieces (Once Upon a Time in the West, For A Few Dollars More, Unforgiven), created legendary catch phrases ("Make my day, punk", won four Academy Awards as a director/producer, received the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, wrote the soundtrack for many of his movies and made the biggest BO hit of 2014 (American Sniper) at the age of 84. And he's still making making movies. His next movie Sully will come out next year when Eastwood will be 86 years old.

Afaik, Clint Eastwood was not in OUaTitW... But I can't disagree with the sentiment. He is definitely top 10.

Burt Lancaster deserves more love. Excelled in every genre from swashbucklers to foreign arthouse films, HUGE filmography with dozens of classics. I don't know why nobody ever talks about him anymore.

jesu

Jack Nicholson springs to mind for me.
De Niro is my favourite but he's went right down hill for years.

In terms of highest success rate (by my own personal standards): John Cazale and Erika Bók at 100% good films (though neither has been in very many).

'Best' being defined by whatever standards you choose and the term 'actor' including all sexes. Keep in mind that I don't mean who you think has the greatest ability, just the greatest career.

Considering breadth of work, success of films and overall likeablility, I think the best acting career (again not necessarily ability) would have to go to Samuel L. (MF'ing) Jackson. Honorable mentions would include Marlon Brando and Tom Cruise. Most of Tom Hanks movies are too safe imo.

Eh. I would include oscars/awards into the criteria. I would say Daniel day Lewis & cate Blanchett are right there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom