• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which announced 2023 Xbox console exclusive game will end up having the highest rating in review aggregates? (Metacritic, Opencritic)

Which Xbox 2023 major console exclusive will score highest with critics?

• Forza Motorsport Reboot

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • Starfield

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Hellblade 2

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • State of Decay 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Redfall

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Ark 2

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
While there's a lot of hype for the upcoming 2023 big Xbox Series console exclusives (assuming they release next year) no one has talked about how they will be received. Definitely the up and down hype cycles will have an impact on all the games as well as world events for a couple of them, but sales put to the side what about reception?

• Forza Reboot
  • Starfield
  • Ark2
  • Hell Blade 2
  • Stalker 2
  • Stade of Decay 3
  • Redfall

These are the games we know of, there may be surprises later on but these are the big major games upcoming that at least give us 2023 as the release period directly, if not a date specifically.

Which of these games will be the highest rated on MC and OC review aggregates?

Some people may automatically jump to assume that would be Starfield based on previous hype and sales potential, but that's forgetting no only Bethesda recent output, but also the up and down hype the game has gone through while there's a gap in new information and through it's delay. The same can be said for Stalker even though it's delay reason is easier to absorb for most people.

It's also important to note that because of how much are riding on these games and how for years since some of them were announced they were anticipated, expectations for many, if not the entire list, is sky high. This adds to the problem that maybe the expectations might be too high for some of these games which will drop an otherwise 95 score to an 85 or an 82, maybe even lower. Or an 80's game to the 70's.

Personally imo, I believe that Forza will be the "safest" game in terms of having a 90 or above score and a maybe 50/50 chance of being the highest rated game. As for what game has the highest potential to be the highest scoring game that's a three-way tie imo between State of Decay 2 which will be out of the indie zone for this entry, Hellblade 2 for the same reason, and Starfield.

But I also believe Starfield, Redfall, and Ark2 has the highest risk of being shredded by the critics for a combination of reasons.

Quixz

Forza reviews very well so that's my vote, now regarding S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2, I have my doubts this game will ever be completed..

Forza. It seems like the games are very consistent with high ratings and they are the least risky to develop, so yeah. Forza.

Starfield will probably get the second highest. Critics and reviewers seem to love huge games and generally forgive their shortcomings, so yeah Starfield will be second highest rated.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Unless it is a train wreck, which you can't put past Bethesda these days, Starfield gets my vote as reviewers tend to give their open world games a pass for their shortcomings.

The one with the highest marketing budget, as it has always been for any exclusive for any console.

Uh, no that hasn't happened consistently at all, especially for Xbox.

Smart money is on Forza. Probably low to mid 90s.

Isn’t Stalker and Ark coming to PlayStation also?

Haven't heard that but if so it likely won't be in 2023 since the release for both in their windows are only for PC and Series.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
regarding S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2, I have my doubts this game will ever be completed
the office no GIF

It's between Forza Motorsport and Starfield, imo. If the latter is glitchy and buggy, despite Bethesda having taken their sweet time with it, I can see Forza, which has been very consistent thus far, get more accolades. Having said that, scores based comparisons are meaningless, especially when the objects of comparison represent radically different genre...

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Forza is the safe bet.

Any of the other games listed can launch with a myriad of issues like performance issues. Stutter from shader compilation seems to plague every game these days, and ray tracing is a turd in most devs hands. Add in possible bad monetization practices , bugs, or whack gameplay and you have a lot of can of worms.

The biggest potential winner on that list is Starfield. However, history had proven Todd’s games launch like wet shit. I don’t see Starfield being any different especially considering the scope and what they’ve shown so far. If it launched without major issues and amazing performance ? Well that’s an easy GOTY contender/winner.

Forza on the other hand always delivers. It is a fine tuned formula, and it’s been a long while since the last Motorsport version. Lots of buzz and hope around this one from Forza and racing fans in general .

Banned
most likely Hellblade 2, as it will be the most pretentious by far. and game critics love to come across as high brow and sophisticated as to not look bad compared to their movie critic counterparts

Last edited:

Warablo

most likely Hellblade 2, as it will be the most pretentious by far. and game critics love to come across as high brow and sophisticated as to not look bad compared to their movie critic counterparts
Pretty much my thoughts, if Hellblade is even remotely good.

Are Hellblade 2 and State of Decay 3 even carded for 2023? Can anyone confirm this?

The only ones I know scheduled for 2023 are Forza Motorsport, Starfield and Redfall. And of the three, I think Forza will review the highest. Starfield and Redfall might be a toss up, because truth be told, Arcane's games generally review really well.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Forza Reboot 90
Starfield 88
Stalker 2 86
Hellblade 2 82
SOD 3 80
Ark 2 72
Redfall 70

No doubt Redfall and Ark 2 will battle for last. I give FM the top mark due to consistency of MS's racing games being high scoring.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I think Hellblade 2 takes it.

Depending on how broken Starfield releases it and Hellblade 2 are probably gonna be GOTY nomninees.

Racing games get nominated so rarely I think Forza Motorsport gets snubbed.
And if the homologation stuff is taken out then it should review really well.
Also, now that mtx and lootboxes are frowned upon i imagine Forza Motorsport wont come with such in your face mtx.

Top Bottom