• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which control scheme did you use in Super Mario 64 DS and are you left-handed?

Tenrius

I used this one:
0uRxbVr.jpg

and thought it was super comfortable on a DSi XL with that pen-like stylus, as a lefty. The touchscreen acted like an analogue stick (and I was able to control it with my left hand, that's important) and controlling the camera with the face buttons also worked fine. Well, maybe it wasn't the full dual analogue experience, but still pretty close to that.

So the Kid Icarus talk made me wonder: that game is not really suitable for left-handed people, my experience with it was notably worse than what the consensus seem to be (even with a Circle Pad Pro). And at the same time there were lots of complaints about SM64 DS, some people said it was a shame it lacked true analogue controls (while it actually had them) and that controls were bad.

Considering my own experience, I thought that perhaps the game was simply suited better for lefties. Hence the question in the thread title.

limlark

I used touch mode, but with my left thumbnail instead of the stylus. I had pretty long nails at that time. It was great, felt a lot like playing with the old analog stick. And I never once damaged the screen!

Maniel

Banned
I used stylus and ABXY buttons and I'm right handed. It worked really well for me once I got used to it

Krejlooc

Banned
straight up couldn't play that game

Funnily enough, it'd probably be possible today using a steam controller if you bind the left touch pad or analog stick to a mouse region covering the reigion of screen that houses the touch screen of the DS using an emulator.

Hm....

Neiteio

I'm right-handed. I used the thumb-strap for analog control. It worked surprisingly well!

Great game, btw. The remodeling/retexturing was a big improvement, the extra characters were a lot of fun, the new worlds and bosses were some of my favorites. And I like how there were 30 extra stars for 150 total, and runaway rabbits that gave you minigames.

Wish they'd remaster this with true analog controls.

Neiteio

Yoshi was so fun in this game. Loved his egg attack and general movement. Wouldn't mind an entire 3D adventure based on him.

MrBadger

I used the d-pad. It worked well on the original DS, but I found it much less playable when I switched to DS Lite.

Dude Guy

I'm a lefty and I just used that trusty ol clicky OG DS D-Pad. I tried that touch screen thumb strap/stylus shit and said "Fuck THIS"

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I alternated between touch control and the D-Pad depending on the situation. Touch Control for open areas and D-Pad for more precise movements.

What an absolutely wonderful game. Almost a "Director's Cut" of SM64. It'd be nice to see a proper port of the game to a platform with native analog control.

Neiteio

What an absolutely wonderful game. Almost a "Director's Cut" of SM64. It'd be nice to see a proper port of the game to a platform with native analog control.
It really is amazing. Give it proper controls, and maybe tweak a few stars so they're not trivialized by the new characters, and it'd be hands-down better than the original.

I alternated between touch control and the D-Pad depending on the situation. Touch Control for open areas and D-Pad for more precise movements.

I ended up 100%ing the game and remember being super disappointed that Yoshi wasn't on the top of the castle.

Neiteio

I ended up 100%ing the game and remember being super disappointed that Yoshi wasn't on the top of the castle.
This is a pretty funny thing to be disappointed about, given that you start out the game as Yoshi and can freely play as him with all of his powers. :p

This is a pretty funny thing to be disappointed about, given that you start out the game as Yoshi and can freely play as him with all of his powers. :p

Yeah, but growing up, I was always interested in that rumor that Yoshi was at the top of the castle. It was mysterious, and I never 100%ed the N64 version.

Plus, it would have been funny to see a Yoshi talk to another Yoshi.

Top Bottom