• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which era of Disney shows was better?

Which one?

• Total voters
I already did CN, so now I'll do Disney and then Nick, in the era tournaments.

1547238006494.jpg

I'm kind of a mix between the initial 80s franchises like Gummi Bears, Ducktales, and Chip n Dale but I also really liked that second-wave stuff like Talespin and Darkwing Duck, which I think are the peak. Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Goof Troop were okay, but once stuff like Buzz Lightyear Star Command, Jungle Cubs, Timon & Pumbaa, etc started coming out I was done.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
80´S and first 90´s the animation is such awesome, even in this year.

Best is Darkwing Duck and Chip´n Dale.

The Gen 2000 is crap mostly for the lazy animation

brap

Banned
Add Ducktales and Chip n Dale to Gen y and it's perfect. Weekenders was really underrated tbhl

Codes 208

Buzz light year, recess, the adventures of Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Timon and Pumba and
Mother
Fuckin’
Gargoyles
were my jam as a kid.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm kind of a mix between the initial 80s franchises like Gummi Bears, Ducktales, and Chip n Dale but I also really liked that second-wave stuff like Talespin and Darkwing Duck, which I think are the peak. Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Goof Troop were okay, but once stuff like Buzz Lightyear Star Command, Jungle Cubs, Timon & Pumbaa, etc started coming out I was done.

This. I stopped after the Ducktales, Chip n Dale's, Darkwing, and Talespin stuff. Star Wars Rebels was pretty good though for recent. I still need to wash the final season and did a good job avoiding spoilers.

womfalcs3

Banned
I like some shows in all categories, but I would say Generation X simply because of DuckTales. I like Darkwing Duck, Recess, new DuckTales, Phineas and Ferb, as well.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Chip N Dale, DuckTales, Aladdin, Darkwing Duck are, from my perspective, the same era of Disney cartoons. Similar production style, similar story style, there is basically no divide between these two "eras" other than the second-to-last digit of release year.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Somewhere between X and Y, but the answer is obviously "whatever was on when I was born".

Skyr

It's a mix of X and Y for me.

Ducktales
Chip 'n' Dale
Gummi Bears
Darkwing Duck
Gargoyles
Talespin

Doom85

So is AgentP the only Zoomer here

Well, for Cartoon Network, I voted the modern era although it was fairly close but for Disney, yeah they've had quite a few solid modern cartoons (Gravity Falls, Avengers EMH, SW Rebels, Ducktales reboot, Star vs. TFOE. etc) but a lot of their classic shows are just that great (Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Goof Troop, Winnie the Pooh, Gummi Bears, Kim Possible, Proud Family, Aladdin) although Bonkers did not age well IMHO and Shnookums and Meat, Quack Pack, and Mighty Ducks were insanely bad, like possibly some of the worst cartoons I ever subjected myself to.

I admit I'm not familiar with some of the modern ones. Penn Zero, Motorcity, The 7D, and a few others I don't know at all, I'll have to look into them eventually. I am definitely excited for this year's new series The Owl House and especially Amphibia.

badblue

Gold Member
It's a mix of X and Y for me.

Ducktales
Chip 'n' Dale
Gummi Bears
Darkwing Duck
Gargoyles
Talespin

This guy gets it.

Now throw in some of the WB cartoons, like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, Batman: TAS and we have some of the best after school TV

StormCell

I'm really nostalgic for the Gen X stuff. I feel like peak Disney during that time frame could be defined as 1988-1994, though. Duck Tales and Chip'n'Dale were really popular in the early '90s and not so much the '80s anyway. I was all about the Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin too. If you stray too much past that, it's kind of down hill.

Also really love me some Phineas and Ferb. That show is gold.

tkscz

If you put together all their good and their bad, gen Y comes out on top. Gen X didn't have as much due to the DIsney channel just getting it's start, but Gen Y was it's golden era. Not to say Gen Z is junk, Phinious and Ferb, Motor City, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Gravity Falls and a few other shows are top notch, but there was just so much more that fell flat in Gen Z. Not to say Gen Y didn't have it's bad shows, but Z just has more bad than good and some so bad it's inexcusable (the fuck was Pickle and Peanut?)

petran79

Banned
Cha Cha Cha Chip n Dale! RESCUE RANGERS!

One of my favorite intros and all the chosen scenes were made by TMS! So I pick all the episodes of any Disney or WB cartoon that were animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsha basically, meaning 80s and early 90s. Quality difference with other studios was chaotic, even within the same series.

GuapitoChico

Neo Member
Right at the border of the two generations, but grew up on shows at the bottom four rows of Y (Minus Jungle Cubs. Minus Pepper Ann, too, if reruns don't count), and the only Z show I know is Phineas & Ferb. I'm surprised you didn't put the likes of American Dragon: Jake Long, though. If anything, that was the Disney epitome for those of us born at the border.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

What he said.

LMJ

Humm I'm torn, I grew up with Disney Afternoon (Duck Tales, Tail Spin, Rescue Rangers etc)

But recently the writing has been so good
Star vs the forces of Evil
Duck tales (much better writing)
Let's not forget my personal favorite Gravity Falls.

I would say my gen juuuust edges out gen Z because of the number of shows, but the overall quality I would give to Z.

Nothing can beat Recess and Pepper Ann.

I also like Kim Possible (was shocked to learn that she dates her sidekick later on).

Last edited:
Top Bottom