• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy game (SNES) if your favorite and why?

Which is your favorite SNES Final Fantasy game? (Mainline only)

• Total voters

Thabass

Out of all of the Final Fantasy games for the SNES (mainline series only) which do you gravitate to more?

I'm all about Final Fantasy VI because of the depth of the story and the unforgetting villian that Kefka was. Not to mention how deep the combat and ability system could get, even on the SNES.

StormCell

I really enjoyed IV, but I played VI long before playing IV on DS and even then VI was a much deeper and engrossing experience for me. The way that VI unfolded was just this amazing adventure that was unlike anything I'd played before. I will never forget the opera scene or flying the Blackjack.

Final Fantasy V. That game should've been localized back in the day. Played it on PlayStation later instead, and really liked it. Replayed it (among other entries) on Game Boy Advance as well. It is in retrospect sort of a mix between Final Fantasy I, III, with improved graphics since IV, minus the serious melodrama. It also has my favorite soundtrack of the 16-bit entries, dear friends :messenger_winking:

Final Fantasy IV was a very important entry when it came to the way stories were told in these games, and is a great game as well.

Final Fantasy VI perfected everything its predecessors did well. Wonderful game, but overshadowed the previous games a bit too much IMO.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
IV (DS version)
I really liked the 3D art style of the DS version and enjoyed the story and characters more than those of V and VI. But i played V and VI long before i played IV and tbh i don't remember them that much except that i was also enjoying them when i was playing them.

ethomaz

Banned
VI because they perfected all fronts and it is even today a reference for the genre.
Characters charisma, story, gameplay, villains, music, art style, etc are probably the peak of Square Enix.

IV has a great story and some characters but fall apart being a linear experience with simple combat system.

V has a deep and good combat system but the story and characters are pretty weak... I believe due the focus in classes battle system the characters lose their identity and charisma... it are basically what template to you choose a class.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Three fantastic games. FF4 I have the strongest attachment to. I was obsessed with that game and have beaten it start to finish at least 20+ times. This was before there were many story-driven games like this. A few years later, they were everywhere.

But, FF6 is easily the best game on this list.

kunonabi

FFVI is the best game in the whole series but my favorite is still IV. It's the game single-handedly changed my mind about RPGs since I hated every previous one I had played.

I personally think FFV is a mess but everyone else seems to like it.

HD St.

Neo Member
VI is my favorite Final Fantasy game, period. XIV has been winning me over the more of it I play but on the SNES, VI all the way.

I never played any of these early final fantasy game but given the opportunity il asked for a FF VI Remake

Seems to be most iconic and heard lot of good things about it

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm all about Final Fantasy VI because of the depth of the story and the unforgetting villian that Kefka was. Not to mention how deep the combat and ability system could get, even on the SNES.
FF6 combat and ability system wasn't that deep. Min/max gameplay boils down to artificially keeping your level low until you get the stronger espers with greater level up bonuses, and then having everyone learn Ultima. Everyone's unique skills aren't that useful anymore.

Thabass

FF6 combat and ability system wasn't that deep. Min/max gameplay boils down to artificially keeping your level low until you get the stronger espers with greater level up bonuses, and then having everyone learn Ultima. Everyone's unique skills aren't that useful anymore.

It was deep for the SNES days. Today, not so much.

Pallas

FFVI, but I do like IV and V a lot as well. All three had incredible music and stories that were pretty unique. Also can’t forget that V introduced the job class system(tactics did it too but came after V, but released first)

Pejo

VI was the best, but IV is my favorite. The story was simple enough, but effective and with some great twists. I also liked that the party members jumped in and out of your team as the game progressed because it actually made sense instead of sitting on a group of 6+ people and most of them just sit on the bench doing nothing.

Also, Cecil and Kain are great and underrated characters. I don't like that modern SE completely femme'd out P. Cecil in modern designs though.

Holammer

There's a great deal of nostalgia at work here, but I reckon Final Fantasy 6 is the best Final Fantasy game period, but I do have a soft spot for FF4 and FF7.
Everything else since have been a slow descent into mediocrity with characters designs that'll make your toes curl if you're not into idol culture.

Fuz

Banned
femme'd out P. Cecil
643563-amano_paladin___dark_knight_cecil.jpg

He was so manly.

Dev1lXYZ

I liked them all equally for different reasons. IV for nostalgia as is was my first SNES game aside from Super Mario World back in the day. VI was the first game I imported on SFC and beat without knowing any Japanese. Great story, graphics, music, and battle system. V has grown on me over the years. I used to hate it, but the gameplay is so great with the class system, it gives the game a lot of replay value. The music has also grown on me over the years. It should have been released in the west for SNES.

Might as well called the poll "which Final Fantasy game did you play on the Super NES/Famicom?". lol

Can't blame people not having played the earlier entries, because of Square and Nintendo being unsure of the genre's popularity.

Thank goodness for Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy VII breaking down that barrier.

Final Fantasy V. That game should've been localized back in the day. Played it on PlayStation later instead, and really liked it. Replayed it (among other entries) on Game Boy Advance as well. It is in retrospect sort of a mix between Final Fantasy I, III, with improved graphics since IV, minus the serious melodrama. It also has my favorite soundtrack of the 16-bit entries, dear friends :messenger_winking:

Final Fantasy IV was a very important entry when it came to the way stories were told in these games, and is a great game as well.

Final Fantasy VI perfected everything its predecessors did well. Wonderful game, but overshadowed the previous games a bit too much IMO.

Resonant Arc is a great channel, one of my favorites. Resonant Archive is worth checking out for their podcasts.

VI is easily my favorite, no contest. It helps that it's my first FF.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Final Fantasy III (VI). No contest. The themes in that game were very mature. And also very dark. There was death, suicide attempts, suffering, depression, love, sacrifice, shock, betrayal, and so much more.

Last edited:

Myths

I like Amano's art, but he makes everyone look like a frail metrosexual.

Look at Buttz:

He’s always drawn them that way, especially for I-VI. Dark lips, mascara, and white hair, that’s his go to for characters.

If I’m going to be real, I’m all about Yoshida. Any day out the week!

Chrono Trigger.

It was better than any Final Fantasy on SNES. It's what FF6 should've been.

But for the sake of this poll I voted FFIV.

wintersouls

I know it's not an FF but SNES I keep this one.

I was a child when my father gave it to me on a Friday and I couldn't stop playing all weekend, I just was amazed. It is a special memory I have of my father, because I give it away by surprise knowing that I was very excited about the game because of what I saw of him in magazines of that time. Today I still play it every year.

b2FH0Ba.jpg

Last edited:

Belmonte

I don't know which one is my favorite but FFV is the most grossly overlooked Final Fantasy ever.

It doesn't have the emotional and over the top dramatic stories of its brothers but is very charismatic and has the best battle and level up system of the series.

kunonabi

I don't know which one is my favorite but FFV is the most grossly overlooked Final Fantasy ever.

It doesn't have the emotional and over the top dramatic stories of its brothers but is very charismatic and has the best battle and level up system of the series.

Eh, it was too easily broken and it took forever to level jobs. I think I'd only mastered one job by the time I got to the final boss in my first run. I had all kinds of character builds in mind and I ended up not being able to do any of them. Maybe I missed some way to game the system but I was too turned off to play it a second time.

Belmonte

Not being released in US during the SNES era didn't do it any favors.

Perhaps but it is no excuse for a respectable JRPG enthusiast! In my country, almost no game was released in our language.

Eh, it was too easily broken and it took forever to level jobs. I think I'd only mastered one job by the time I got to the final boss in my first run. I had all kinds of character builds in mind and I ended up not being able to do any of them. Maybe I missed some way to game the system but I was too turned off to play it a second time.

I can't agree. Making a death machine is part of fun and the time to level up is perfect for me. It really makes each battle matter and hunt for new jobs exciting.

Orenji Neko

FFIV is my favorite, though I love all three. When IV came out, it felt less complex/challenging than III, but I loved the story, music, etc, and how it tooled its challenges around the party makeup. I also enjoyed that we then had save points and could fully recover at them in dungeons. ATB was nice, though I enjoyed when the bar was finally shown in V, and then the Switch option appeared in VI to pass over ready characters.

FFV was fantastic and brought back jobs (removed penalties for constantly switching for tactics) and depth of play; so many different ways to approach things or even break stuff (esp with Blue Magic). FFVI feels a bit like a mix of the previous two; story focus, and some attention to character setup (more than IV at least but less than V) and some open ended progression in the second half after getting the second airship.

All in all, while IV is my favorite of the SFC trilogy, I can honestly just sit down and play any of them through and be quite happy. Recently did a 4 random job- no changes allowed run of FFV back in December and had a great time changing up how I had to approach everything to accommodate my party's strengths and shortcomings.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
VI has serious balance issues. The game is baby toddler easy mode. But its still pretty fun and I like story as opposed to V's lack thereof.

IV is the quintessential Final Fantasy game, moreso than even I. It defines the series.

D.Final

Banned
Out of all of the Final Fantasy games for the SNES (mainline series only) which do you gravitate to more?

Between these three choices, Final Fantasy VI. For multiple reasons.
And one of them is the villain.
My favorites villain of the Final Fantasy saga are, Garland (FF I), Kefka (FF VI), Ardyn (FF XV), Sephiroth (FF VII), and Kuja (FF IX).

Last edited:
VI has serious balance issues. The game is baby toddler easy mode. But its still pretty fun and I like story as opposed to V's lack thereof.

IV is the quintessential Final Fantasy game, moreso than even I. It defines the series.

Screw that noise. FFIV is the most static in terms of character progression, and the constant character "sacrifices" for sake of party size preservation got a little repetitive.

V doesn't need a story to be good. Its battle system is sublime.

VI was a little unbalanced, but less so than VII and VIII, which went increasingly off the rails.

Hard to judge. Especially as FFVI was when Final Fantasy changed a lot.
They're different designs, but as far as story FFVI's is told much better, albeit I personally find it quite overrated in regards to the fanbase. Music is better as well. Characters gets more fleshed out storybits and sidequests. New impulses for new ideas that became prevalent in later games as well. It still carries a bit of the formula of the older games though, in terms of scene presentation, which would change more drastically from FFVII onwards.

FFV has much better combat than VI though. FFIV in a way also, just due to how I really felt invested in building my party and in each of their role. Both games at least felt challenging. FFVI on the other hand is more like FFVII and FFVIII in that regard.

So it depends on what I want in the exact moment. If I were just to feel and not think too much about it, I'd say it's a tie between FFIV and FFVI.

Top Bottom