• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which first/second-party games do you think would‘ve been better suited to other platforms?

Elysion

Banned
I‘m especially talking about games that had some first-party involvement.

For example, I remember back in 2007 or 2008, when Sony was showing off LittleBigPlanet, Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview that he liked the game‘s concept, but that it would be much better suited to a Nintendo platform. Considering that the IP seems to be dead now, and never really lived up to its potential, I think I agree with him.

I think LBP (and Media Molecule in general) would‘ve really benefited from some ‚meddling‘ from Nintendo. They would‘ve probably urged MM to get rid of the floaty controls, and to make searching for user-created levels easier and actually useful (the two things that hurt the game the most), since fun gameplay and ease of use are some of Nintendo’s core focuses. This is one of those examples where Sony‘s relative laid-back attitude when it comes to studio management is probably a disadvantage, while Nintendo’s habit to ‚meddle‘ might have actually been a good thing. I think Nintendo could‘ve managed to turn LBP into a pretty big IP on their platforms.

Are there other first- or second party games that could‘ve benefited from being associated with another platform holder? (I guess the question could be expanded to include studios in general, not just particular games.)

When I saw Destruction All-Stars I really thought it was an Xbox game. Lost Odyssey would have done much better on PlayStation.

Elysion

Banned
Put all Nintendo franchises on PS and XBox consoles.

They deserve modern hardware.

That might be true for their big IPs like Mario and Zelda, but I doubt that something like Splatoon for example would‘ve been as successful on PS or XBox.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Bloodborne would feel right at home on PC where the biggest souls fan base is. Stuff like dreams and Gran Turismo as well.

A creator and community oriented game in a console? Such wasted potential. The game just came and went on PS.

Games like quantum break and Alan wake would have done great on ps as well. Xbox bias was on an all time high by the time QB released and that really hurt the MC score. A really good cinematic game with one of the best time travel stories I have seen.

Fatal frame games stranded on Nintendo consoles, what a waste. Hopefully FFV does well as a multiplatform release to secure releasing the remaining games of the platform.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

The majority of games that Rare released on Xbox consoles from 2003 to 2008 would've probably done better on Nintendo systems. It's interesting how the Xbox platform had the stigma of being strictly a "dudebro" console at the time and that basically made up the majority of their user base. Nowadays, that stigma still lingers a tiny bit, but they have a wider variety of games and a much more expanded userbase these days.

They bought Rare at the wrong time. Colorful E-rated type games had no place in the old Xbox ecosystem. And now with stuff like Gamepass especially, the type of games Rare usually makes can thrive much more. I think stuff like Viva Piñata and Nuts & Bolts may have garnered more traction had they been released today.

But it can also be argued that it's not just about the colors, but about how appealing the concept of the game is. I think an online open world pirate game like Sea of Thieves could've been successful on the 360 despite the cartoony art style (I'm not sure the 360 would've been capable of rendering that glorious water tho lol). Whereas the idea behind VP and N&B may have just been simply misunderstood back then. Not to mention N&B pissed off a lot of old school Banjo fans for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom