• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which franchise is bigger for EA: FIFA or Madden?

Kill3r7

Ah, ok, thanks. And there are no other numbers that could point in the right direction? Number of leaderboard entries 3 months after releas or so (if those exist, my hardcore FIFA phase was from 1998 to 2005, only invested like 3 hours in those games since back then)

There are folks on salesGAF that can get you pretty accurate info on sales numbers for a specific region but putting together the worldwide puzzle is a nearly impossible task.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The football game is the most popular, ie the one where the players mostly use their feet to kick a ball.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Should we call american football handegg then for future references?

It's a more accurate description of the sport than 'football'. I'd love to know how that name came about actually, if anything it should be called 'American Rugby'.

Ok I get it. FIFA is way way bigger.

Now I've got a question: how close or not close the race between FIFA and Madden is in the United States? Madden sells more but by how much? I know FIFA has been picking up in sales including in the US. It even charts in the NPD. I wonder how close is the stats?

Kill3r7

Ok I get it. FIFA is way way bigger.

Now I've got a question: how close or not close the race between FIFA and Madden is in the United States? Madden sells more but by how much? I know FIFA has been picking up in sales including in the US. It even charts in the NPD. I wonder how close is the stats?

Pretty large. Here is last years Top 10 best selling games.

The 10 best-selling games of the year

• Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  • Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  • Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
  • NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  • Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  • FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  • Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
madden is mostly a US thing. FIFA is worldwide. i don't know anyone who has ever played a madden game before. i don't even know what "madden" means all i know is that it's american football.

Pretty large. Here is last years Top 10 best selling games.

The 10 best-selling games of the year

• Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  • Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  • Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
  • NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  • Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  • FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  • Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Are you kidding? FIFA being in the #8 spot of the best selling videogames in the year in the US while madden is in 2nd is so not what I'd call a large margin! It's still the top 10. In the country where supposedly soccer is irrelevant! I wonder in how many other countries does Madden appear in their top 10s in comparison.

Holy hell. FIFA in #8 in the US. That's massive.

Quick, everybody dog pile on the OP for asking an honest question. There's only been 100 duplicate posts saying the same thing, surely there's room for more!

Is NBA 2k games bigger than madden? Seems like everyone I know plays that aside from cod and FIFA.

dat anecdotal evidence

2016 was the first year that NBA 2K outsold Madden I think in both franchises' history.

Madden's model has shifted, though, as the game becomes free for EA Access subscribers the week before the Super Bowl, and EA focuses entirely on MUT / Draft Champions sales.

*edit*

Oh, I guess Madden 16 outsold NBA 2K16 last year... according to other posters. I didn't think that was the case, N/M.

Meier

I think even just counting units sold, FIFA is catching up to Madden in the US as well. Obviously FUT is significantly bigger than "MUT" (I guess?) and that is their big money maker. It's a huge, huge game.

Kill3r7

Are you kidding? FIFA being in the #8 spot of the best selling videogames in the year in the US while madden is in 2nd is so not what I'd call a large margin! It's still the top 10. In the country where supposedly soccer is irrelevant! I wonder in how many other countries does Madden appear in their top 10s in comparison.

Holy hell. FIFA in #8 in the US. That's massive.

I never argued FIFA was not doing well. As a matter a fact my very first post in this thread stated that. You asked for NPD rankings and I provided them. Also, please note that typically there is a significant gap in sales between the top 3 to 5 games and the rest of the list.

Madden is very much a US product.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's a more accurate description of the sport than 'football'. I'd love to know how that name came about actually, if anything it should be called 'American Rugby'.

If only there was a way you can use the internet to find that out!

Let me save you the trouble: "Football" was a catch-all term for sports that were played on foot using a ball, as opposed to sports played on horseback. Association Football, Rugby/Rugby Football, American Football, Aussie rules, etc, all developed and branched out from various games and sports peopled played in Europe and brought to the rest of the world hundreds of years ago. Association Football (soccer) is not, contrary to popular belief, called football because you use your foot to kick the ball.

"Handegg" is silly, played out, and just an indicator of the ignorance of the person who uses it. Also, "Soccer" is a term invented in England by British people and was used in England when describing Association Football for some time, in case you were wondering.

Food for thought,

Why are you called "World Champions" if you win the super bowl if only North America takes part?

Are the NFL and NPD one and the same?

NolbertoS

As a Canuck, FIFA reigns supreme while Madden is 2nd. Here in Canada NHL games series sells more than Madden :p Although I do love American football and Futbol that the world plays :D

Food for thought,

Why are you called "World Champions" if you win the super bowl if only North America takes part?

Are the NFL and NPD one and the same?

North America? The NFL isn't the MLB or the NHL where they have teams from Canada. It's just teams from the United States! Not that that would make it much better though.

And yes it always sounds grating and super cringe worthy to hear the champion of the NATIONAL Football League (or MLB, or NBA) being called World Champions. Even if in theory they really are the best its still incredibly egocentric and pompous to call yourself world champion, especially if its for s sport no one outside the US plays professionally. Thats like if I invented a new, complex game using marbles and corncobs and I only invite guys from my street and whoever wins gets called the World Champion. Yes, you technically are the best in the "world" but just because you can call yourself that doesnt mean you should.

univbee

Is Madden even playable in languages other than English? FIFA is translated into basically every language where there's a videogame presence.

LQX

Regardless of all the bragging of soccer being a world wide sport, the US still buys a ton of games in contrast to the rest of the world so it would not be surprising if it Madden outsold or came close to FIFA sales annually.

Is Madden even playable in languages other than English? FIFA is translated into basically every language where there's a videogame presence.

I think its playable in spanish. There's a pretty healthy niche of NFL fans in Mexico (it's the second most watched sport on tv in Mexico... a very distant 2ndm but 2nd nonetheless). Besides them there's a lot of latinos who love the NFL in the US. I do know they used to feature spanish commentators too (I dunno if they still have them). I'd be surprised if it wasn't available in french too (them Canadians).

But besides English, Spanish and French I don't see the point of bothering with other languages.

Regardless of all the bragging of soccer being a world wide sport, the US still buys a ton of games in contrast to the rest of the world so it would not be surprising if it Madden outsold or came close to FIFA sales annually.

According to everyone in this thread thats not the case. It's FIFA and by a colossal margin. FIFA is making annual CoD numbers now. A decade ago it would've been a closer race but not anymore.

nynt9

Not only does FIFA sell way more than Madden, it also has to compete with PES, which is no slouch on its own. Whereas Madden has no real competition. Despite that, FIFA still outsells Madden by a big margin. Shows how much more demand there is for football (soccer). If you combine PES and FIFA, I think the number would come very close to doubling Madden.

Does anybody know about Maddens sales in Canada (do know it's the 2nd most popular sport after Hockey) and Mexico .

I would like to know too. American football on tv is in (a distant) 2nd place in viewership for sports in Mexico. We have amateur college leagues but not a professional one. We do have two very healthy professional baseball leagues here tho. But in tv ratings the NFL drawfs baseball's numbers.

I wonder how this translates to sales of Madden here. I'm betting its a healthy niche but not in the same solar system as FIFA's (or PES' for that matter) sales.

Kill3r7

Not only does FIFA sell way more than Madden, it also has to compete with PES, which is no slouch on its own. Whereas Madden has no real competition. Despite that, FIFA still outsells Madden by a big margin. Shows how much more demand there is for football (soccer). If you combine PES and FIFA, I think the number would coke very close to doubling Madden.

FIFA is an absolute juggernaut but PES, although an amazing game in its own right is, irrelevant sales wise. Did you see the UK numbers last week? PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2017 (KONAMI) 21,000-27,000 FIFA will sell about 40x-50x more.

Devil

FIFA stays in most European top 10 charts for I think as long as the complete year. And I think I have seen monthly charts in which the new FIFA released and the old one still in the top 10.

FIFA sells ridiculously well, and it does so not only for a few month, but over the whole year.

Pennywise

FIFA stays in most European top 10 charts for I think as long as the complete year. And I think I have seen monthly charts in which the new FIFA released and the old one still in the top 10.

FIFA sells ridiculously well, and it does so not only for a few month, but over the whole year.

I took that screenshot on the 13th this month.
Bestseller section from Amazon with all platforms included.
4 different PS4 versions in the top 10. The thirst over FIFA is pretty heavy.
It's still pretty much the same today, with the exception of an X1 version now being in, and a few positions have switched.

V2sROeH.png

If only there was a way you can use the internet to find that out!

Let me save you the trouble: "Football" was a catch-all term for sports that were played on foot using a ball, as opposed to sports played on horseback. Association Football, Rugby/Rugby Football, American Football, Aussie rules, etc, all developed and branched out from various games and sports peopled played in Europe and brought to the rest of the world hundreds of years ago. Association Football (soccer) is not, contrary to popular belief, called football because you use your foot to kick the ball.

"Handegg" is silly, played out, and just an indicator of the ignorance of the person who uses it. Also, "Soccer" is a term invented in England by British people and was used in England when describing Association Football for some time, in case you were wondering.

Awww, and I thought the Americans had to settle on calling it football because us Brits had already called dibs on Chuckie Egg.

I tried playing a bit of Madden and I think it's an incredibly hard game to translate to computers. I think I played Madden 10 and it was probably the least newbie-friendly game I've ever played, since so much of it is relying on the AI teammates to do their job.
In contrast, FIFA is pretty easy to pick up and play at a basic level. This goes for the real-life sports too I guess.

NHale

So in your opinion Madden sells around 15M+ copies just in the US/Canada, right?

Meier

It doesn't. If you combined Madden and NCAA back in the day vs FIFA at the time, they probably were comparable to ahead, but FIFA has grown exponentially over time and I suspect Madden has probably fallen off a bit. Obviously NCAA is dead as well.

Top Bottom