• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best water physics/graphics?

7he Talon

Let's be real, everyone loves some good water physics/graphics! After seeing Sea of Thieves and Skull and Bones at E3, I was trying to think what game had the best water physical and/or graphics of any game to date. I think Sea of Thieves has to be up there for me.

hatkj8xi5umpnxu7sskc.gif

Which game do you think has the best water physical/graphics?

Edit: Add title of game to images/gifs posted.

Turkoop

Banned
GTAV and Witcher 3 had some amazin water effects, also Black Flag
But AC Origins and Sea of Thieves are also looking fantastic

Maxey

That crappy Hydrophobia game had pretty good water physics, although the water itself looked Ok at best.

Let's be real, everyone loves some good water physics/graphics! After seeing Sea of Thieves and Skull and Bones at E3, I was trying to think what game had the best water physical and/or graphics of any game to date. I think Sea of Thieves has to be up there for me.

Are we sure there's physics and not an animation that's making the water move like that?

Rien

Jelly Belly

Looks great

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bioshock.

10 years old and it still holds up really well. Yes, many games since then have surpassed the water effects, but Bioshock was a revelation in terms of water rendering at the time of release.

bioshock-tunnel-water-rushing-in.jpg

I always thought the water in Witcher 3 looks really bad and disappointing compared to the rest of the game.

I really like how the Aard spell creates ripples and displacement in water. Really dug it.

Ushay

Witcher 3 had some nice scenes on the sea.

After watching the demo at E3 I think Sea of Thieves is the winner. I'm wondering what it will look like on One X.

Caayn

Not the best but Kinect Sports Rivals certainly is worthy of a mention in this thread. If I wasn't on mobile I'd post some screenshots.

Otogix for X-Box had some of the most incredible water. Reflections, refractions, waves...it was sensational for the time. I honestly compare all water I see to that, and to the pond outside the windmill in ICO. It's amazing at how bad water in this gen is.

Sure, there's a lot of good looking water animations, but if it can't be interacted with and modified real time, then to me, I don't care for it.

Jackpot

Banned
Cold Waters is pretty impressive for an small-budget Unity game.

ss_6461b7c5be1e3be900c9729d978670b71fa8bcb1.1920x1080.jpg

Hydrophobia had realistic water as their USP. Didn't use it that much tbh.

Es_W129_A.gif

giphy.gif

JayTapp

How many more years will it take until people in this forum write the god damn game title to the random images they post?

ARRRRGRGGRGRR!

My problem with rough seas in games is where is the wave breakage? Kind of ruins it for me that there usually isn't any.

Glad to see you got your passion for water out of Miiverse, Talon.

lol I remember this

I'm biased but I think I love Nintendo approach to water;
But yeah, SoT wins for me too

Nintendo has great water. Personally I've always been a fan of how it's done in Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy:

tumblr_ns1doaEPq91sapaufo1_500.gif

wish I could find better images, but if you've played the games you know what I'm talking about.

Bonus Super Mario 3D World image:

giphy.gif

CHC

GTAV, Black Flag, and Dishonored 2 all come to mind as having amazing ocean effects.

Dishonored 2:

tumblr_ohf1f4wKSY1vilyx0o1_500.gif

I'm as a huge a Witcher III fan as you'll ever find but that game actually has notably bad looking water in anything other than shallow pools and rivers, which manage to look very good.

Top Bottom