• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games that everyone else loves do you hate?

DirtyCase

Recently for me it would be Dragons Dogma. I tried to like it, I really did. There was just something off putting about it that took me out the experience. Might have been the way the pawns worked.

Another one would be Civilization. I bought Civ V and played a full campaign on an earth map, finished it till the end and I said to myself after "wow... that's it?". I have not picked it up since and will probably never have a desire to.

I guess I'm more of a Galactic Civilization guy

Not hate, but strongly dislike the original Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy. I don't really like the controls, the level design, or the random things it decides to throw at you. But it's not like it ever did anything to me, so I don't hate it.

I'm very indifferent to most shooters. Everything from Goldeneye to Borderlands. I like them with friends for a night of fun once in a while, but that's it.

I guess one game I MIGHT actually hate is Twilight Princess. I can't think of a game that feels more hollow or uninspired. But I'm not sure how many people actually like that game.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Can't stand Half Life 2.

It's like an ice skating simulator with levels that go on far too long and awful floaty shooting mechanics with guns that feel like toys.

Moff

there are many, mostly cinematic games with no gameplay, like the new tomb raider, call of duty and the naughty dog games.

I do not hate them though and finished many of them. I see their appeal but they are just not for me.

sheamus

Recently for me it would be Dragons Dogma. I tried to like it, I really did. There was just something off putting about it that took me out the experience. Might have been the way the pawns worked.

Another one would be Civilization. I bought Civ V and played a full campaign on an earth map, finished it till the end and I said to myself after "wow... that's it?". I have not picked it up since and will probably never have a desire to.

I guess I'm more of a Galactic Civilization guy

u would have more fun with civ4 coming from galciv.

Kyzon

simply put, I hate Rayman Origins/Legends other than the Music and Chase levels.

I find the rest bland and uninspired.

FloatOn

I fucking HAAAAAAATE Arkham Origins

wtf were they thinking with that deadshot boss fight!?!?!

also I despise the gaf darling Alpha Protocol. It's on the level of Risen 2 shitty rpg-ness

Naked Lunch

Pretty much all Rockstar games (GTA and Red Dead in particular) and Elder Scrolls. Horrible gameplay and controls. These games only have scale and scope going for them - but the awful gameplay makes them pointless to play.

I dislike most of Nintendo IP's, and consoles for that matter.

But! I really love Mario Kart, 3D Marios and Starfox. So I always end up with their consoles.
Bought the WiiU a year ago to play the games I mentioned. It's like vicious cycle.

Edit: Also I dislike anything that comes from Rockstar. I don't get the appeal.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Zelda. I have tried the original NES one, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Phantom Hourglass, and they just don't sink their hooks into me at all.

I would love it if I would some day "get it" because then I'll have a bunch of amazing adventures to play through.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Halo.

I can't stand:
-Bullet sponge enemies
-Non-existent protagonist
-Having to use awful covenant guns 70% of the time
-The flood
-Inconsistent checkpoint system

I also can't stand 2D Nintendo games, and since their last 2 consoles are woefully underpowered we are getting a lot of them lately.

Well, hate is probably too strong a word, but I just don't connect at all with Smash Bros. It has such a rabid community, but for me it just doesn't land, and I'm a huge Nintendo fan in general too. I think all the fan service and Nintendo characters are really cool, but the game itself just doesn't interest me. Every time I've ever played it, I'm like, THIS is what everyone is drooling over, smh.

Seanspeed

Banned
Planescape Torment

Way too slow and dialogue-heavy for me.

Super Mario Kart

Just don't think its fun unless you play with others and then it becomes an enjoyable fling for a small while but is otherwise uninteresting and boring.

atr0cious

Can't stand Half Life 2.

It's like an ice skating simulator with levels that go on far too long and awful floaty shooting mechanics with guns that feel like toys.
Half life 2 was an overrated fan fiction for a character who really didn't deserve it. The best part about HL2 was CS source existing.How do you put out the sequel to the highly acclaimed original doom ripoff, with the worst gun models and effects in AAA history?

sublimit

Banned
Hypothetically, if he were to say 'Skyrim', what would your proposed response be?

Nothing really,i was just being curious to understand what his tastes are when it comes to fantasy settings.It's interesting because (for me) the setting/characters and story is what attracts me the most in The Witcher series.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
World of Warcraft, DOTA, LoL, Minecraft, and some others.

All of these I have yet to play. And dont plan on to anytime soon.

Everyone around me loves Heavy Rain. I hate this game with all might that I have, it's horrible and overrated in my opinion.

I dont hate it but its gets very lil playtime by me.

Pokemon

Smash Bros

I'm like the anti-GAF.

I just left in the ones I dont like....lol.

I don't quite hate them (I actually admire how well crafted some of them are), but I have no interest in ever playing a Moba or RTS.

No MOBA or RTS for me either. I didnt see Metal Gear Rising: Revengance posted...this might be the one game, or one of the few I hate. I wish it didnt have the Metal Gear name... And Shadowrun, the FPS. Also wish it didnt have the name.

I guess one game I MIGHT actually hate is Twilight Princess. I can't think of a game that feels more hollow or uninspired. But I'm not sure how many people actually like that game.

According to the Zelda Cycle I'm most familiar with, it would be an underrated gem due to how much people hated Skyward Sword. But I've never played either of them, so meh. :p

oni-link

Fifa

It's not a bad game, but i had my fill of FIFA 11 after about 10 hours or so

Most of my friends will buy it each year and play for 100s of hours

Mugatu

The Darkness
The Witcher (love the idea, don't like the gameplay)
Bioshock (love the idea, don't like the gameplay)
pretty much every sports game
Final Fantasy (all of them)
Zelda, Mario and just about every other Nintendo franchise
Saint's Row
Darksiders

eliochip

Bravely Default is total garbage

All of it.

I haven't even gotten up to the supposedly worst part of the game yet and I already hate it

Also Persona 3. That game felt like the longest chore.

There are plenty of popular games that I don't care about, but that's mostly because of personal tastes. Something that I technically should like but don't is the GTA series though. The world and other persons are not interactive enough for me to keep playing and exploring, especially since I'm not really interested in wreaking havoc or in proceeding with the story.

Top Bottom