• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is going to be bigger: Destiny 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2 or COD: WW2?

OldMan

Banned
9ef24cbdf32724631609d2e66531f8e89fcae3d2585ee576b544d08330e4e011.jpg

Movie release, EA's marketing, Battlefront 1's recent success etc.

ReaperXL7

I think Battlefront could potentially pull ahead but it will depend on what they add to the game. The first Dice Battlefront had a lot of middling or negative word of mouth because of a lack of content.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I actually think BF2 is going to launch under BF1 but likely sell more long term due to being the better game

Yeah, could be. I'm taking a hard wait and see approach after falling for the hype with the first game and greatly regretting my purchase.

COD then Destiny (even without PC it would be number 2) then BF

man, i hate a year with so many FPSs i want to buy because they are such time sinkers if you like to kickass

BigEmil

In terms of popularity:

COD WW2 > Battlefront 2 > Destiny 2

For which game will be the best for consumers:

Battlefront 2 > COD WW2 > Destiny 2

Simo

non of them
you missed the biggest game

Read dead Redemption 2

The first one sold 15 million copies in its lifetime and I think they're estimating RDR2 to sell 15 to 20 million copies this time, which obviously still isn't anywhere near GTAs success nor Call of Duty.

That said, Take Two said the reaction and response to RDR2 even surprised them and Amazon has already sold through their initial allotted preorders for PS4.

WillyFive

Battlefront 2 will be 3rd place no matter what; bad word of mouth from the first game plus Episode 8 hype not as sky high as it was for Force Awakens in 2015.

Destiny vs CoD will be a race to watch though.

I would say Destiny 2 because of the legs, It had a very large community that was playing and paying for years after launch. it doesnt have an annual sequel. Battlefront burned alot of people, COD legs get cut short by the next annual game.

COD WW2 is going to sell the most, but I'm torn between Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2. BF did not retain the amount players compared to Destiny 1, so there could be more momentum for Destiny 2 compared to Battlefront 2. I'm leaning towards Destiny 2 being second best in sales.

Edit: I forgot about Destiny 2 being on PC, so it's definitely taken second place. COD:WWII is having good word of mouth and could be the best selling Call of Duty game this gen. I underestimated the amount of people who dislike the futuristic gameplay, which I like :(

Muffdraul

Personally I want it to be Destiny 2, but I have no idea how the current user base figures compare for each franchise. My gut tells me to assume that while Destiny has a more "hardcore/passionate/emotionally invested" base, COD probably still has a bigger one size fits all/lowest common denominator base.

I had no idea Battlefront was a serious competitor for either of the other two, but generally speaking online MMO stuff isn't my scene, I'm clueless. I'm a casual Destiny fan, 90% of the time I play it solo, still have never done a raid, cry in the corner being jealous of everyone with their flashy exotics. In fact I'm only just now starting to pick it up again because of the Destiny 2 announcement, all this time I've had the DLC expansions installed but never bothered to play them until a few days ago. Can't even play RoI because my Light is only 223 or some shit.

GRaider81

COD easily for sales.

Quality wise I think they will all be good this year so really it's down to preference as all 3 are genres within a genre.

Hesh

Destiny 2.

I think CoD might be number 2 because of brand recognition ("Hey, it's the new CoD, I better buy this") but I feel that it's going to get favorable reviews due to the setting being a breath of fresh air but won't sell up to CoD standards because the fan base just wants either two things: either updated Modern Warfare MP (CoD MW2 Remastered coming?) or updated Black Ops II MP (Treyarch's turn at the CoD helm isn't until next year, unfortunately). Sledgehammer is basically set up to fail this go around.

SWB2 will likely be #3 for similar reasons why SWB didn't do as well (it's not Battlefield enough to grab Battlefield players and isn't Battlefront enough to get the old SWB crowd). If Titanfall 2's universally acclaimed single player couildn't save it then I have little faith in SWB2's single player mode significantly boosting sales, Star Wars IP be damned.

But yeah, Destiny 2 is going to sell boatloads across all three platforms: PS4, X1 and now PC. The key thing is that legacy players on PS3 and 360 that have been stubborn to upgrade to Destiny on PS4 or X1 will likely still buy D2, but on PC instead (and of course all of the legacy players that have bought PS4's and X1's since D1's release will buy D2). Destiny 2 is lined up to be Activision's new #1 brand as long as they don't catastrophically mess things up during this final stretch over the summer.

The original Destiny was kind of a MvP type of thing. Destiny 2 will probably surpass the original. CoD has been on a slide for awhile. Activision needs to rethink the dude bro fps experience a bit CoD needs a break as bad as Assassin's Creed did.

eizarus

Banned
CoD in terms of sales. Followed by Destiny 2. Expecting more from Destiny 2 quality wise.

Battlefront 2 will have a strong start (thanks to the movie coming out then) but I don't think it will come close to CoD and Destiny's numbers.

Zok310

Banned
COD without a boubth. I think D2 will get smacked and struggle out the gate just like D1 did and folks will bail ship within a month, even more so considering Take2 is dropping bombs this year in the form of RDR2

Roufianos

It could be any of them really. Depends on reviews and how burned people feel on the mixed reception of the last entries. All I care about is BF 2 though.

anothertech

Destiny done right has a chance. It could be the Halo of this gen. They just fcked up the first one.

Destiny 2 will be interesting to see in action in a few weeks.

Not sure if sales wise can keep up with cod, but could make the fps landscape interesting for sure. Technically, Destiny released when COD ghosts released. Which has the higher player count at this point?

Cod has blops3 and infinite warefare since destiny release, but destiny still has that player base. It's a beast retention wise.

COD, Destiny 2, BF2.

In that order for both.

Yep. I'm crossing my fingers that Bungie will have nailed Destiny 2 and release an amazing game, but the time constraints forced on them through their contract mean you couldn't even pay me to pre-order this game.

AHA-Lambda

I'm not a Destiny fan at all I admit (I haven't touched it since the vanilla launch to be fair and hated it) and so it's reach within the market is maybe more an unknown to me, but I don't understand the precedent in this thread for so many people thinking this game will be the biggest game of the year :/

Big? Of course.
Bigger than CoD, FIFA, RDR2, and Star Wars? Is Destiny really that big to beat any one of those? I can MAYBE see it beating BF2 :/

120v

lot of Destiny will hinge on how it's marketed. if it comes off as a marginal improvement i could see CoD throttling past it, though Destiny will obvs have better legs

i think a lot of goodwill was lost with Battlefront 1 but maybe star wars mania will be in full effect again. not that i doubt Last Jedi will be huge but but star wars has been "back" for years now, its not going to be fever pitch like it was in 2015

Mameshiba

Neo Member
We need a couple of clarifications for the questions in the op:

Worldwide or just US?
Do only the sales in the release year count, or LTD?
console only or including PC?

If its worldwide and LTD, Destiny 1 is slightly ahead of the best selling CoD, Modern Warfare 3 which sits at ~30,6 mio units sold. Considering the decline of CoD over the years, and the launch on PC for Destiny, that should be an easy win for Destiny. CoD vs Battlefront II could go either way, Battlefront I sold a bit better than COD: IW, but CoD:WW will probably sell significantly better than IW, so i would say Battlefront II ends up last.

Ashtar

Battlefront 1 did around 14 million and Call of Duty traditionally does 20-25 million.

Destiny would need a strong overperform to beat Call of Duty, at least up front, or Call of Duty would need to fail to recover.
Do you have an estimate for destiny 1 numbers? I'd guess around 15 million but it's really thought since a ton is digital
I'd say CoD > destiny 2 > battlefront 2
Personally getting destiny 2 and battlefront 2 just based off gcu

Chris1

destiny will be the best selling game this year. Game will be gigantic and will outsell cod IMO. The only I'm not sure about is rdr2.

The first one sold 15 million copies in its lifetime and I think they're estimating RDR2 to sell 15 to 20 million copies this time, which obviously still isn't anywhere near GTAs success nor Call of Duty.

That said, Take Two said the reaction and response to RDR2 even surprised them and Amazon has already sold through their initial allotted preorders for PS4.
After gta 5, rdr2 will sell 15m day one lol. Or not very far off it.

Why are people saying Destiny 2 will be good? The original was such crap. Am I missing something?

Destiny and Battlefront are interesting games because the developers/publishers of those games have basically come out and said that they werent good enough and need to be dramatically improved in one way or another. But they were some of the best selling games of the generation anyways. Shows you the power that marketing has on this industry.

In Destiny 2's case, Bungie has actually shown improvement over the last 3 years, so i think Destiny 2 being a step up is an easier sell, I think Battlefront likely didnt do Battlefront 2 any favors and EA is going to rely on Star Wars hype (launching with Episode 8) and sheer marketing power to sell the game.

BBboy20

Since this is the topic of first person shooters...

CoD>Destiny>Battlefront in terms of sales

Quality is hard to gauge. Personally Destiny 2 will probably be the strongest but all I have high expectations for.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm betting World War 2 will be the better game.

I think it all depends on how the audience who has been playing Call of Duty in the post-Black Ops era of red dot sights and mobility options reacts to going back to WW2 and the gameplay implications that come with that.
How successful was Battlefield 1 compared to 3 and 4?

alt27

Tough one , established franchises like CoD and Star Wars will initially beat destiny 2 , but the legs , the legs of destiny , will smash lifetime sales of these two easily

Epcott

Lifetime sales:
1. Destiny 2 (has the legs)
2. Battlefront II (sees boost after TLJ)
3. COD WWII (top seller months before becoming 3rd)

As much as I loooooooove Destiny, I hope Battlefront succeeds the most.

Top Bottom