• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is harder? Ninja Gaiden, DMC3 or Shinobi PS2?

I sure as hell hope the answer isn't DMC3. I grabbed a copy of that a few months ago, and I've just torn thru it on hard. I tried to replay shinobi recently and i think it only gets really hard if you try to do to much or get too fancy. When i slow down a bit and focus on the enemies I got thru it ok.(never tried the highest difficulty) Never played NG Black, heard its a right bitch it is!

Maridia

Chris_C said:
I just got Ninja Gaiden Black to play on my 360 and am curious what level of difficulty to excpect.

Not nearly what people make it out to be, until the camera bends you over and fs you in the a in Mission Mode. I really can't emphasize what a great game it is, though.

Speevy

Banned
Devil May Cry 3 is "Easy to beat, extremely hard to master all the moves and playing styles."

Ninja Gaiden is "Hard to beat, fairly easy to master all the moves and playing styles."

Speevy said:
Devil May Cry 3 is "Easy to beat, extremely hard to master all the moves and playing styles."

Ninja Gaiden is "Hard to beat, fairly easy to master all the moves and playing styles."

That pretty much sums it up, but it still depends on the player, as always.

Oldschoolgamer said:
**** yes! I can't count how many times I died on that stage. Now, I see this shit on youtube, and am angry as hell. I'll have to dust off the Disc, and put my Dawn of Dreams run on hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T52EwDPzORY

I also care not what anyone says, the last boss of Shinobi makes Alma and Vergil look like a cakewalk(on their highest difficulties).

For the types of games they are, it blows my mind to think there are stages in Shinobi and Nightshade that consist of about 10% ground-to-walk-on. :lol Don't even get me started on the last level of Nightshade. It should be listed in Webster's under the term "hate."

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Attack You said:
For the types of games they are, it blows my mind to think there are stages in Shinobi and Nightshade that consist of about 10% ground-to-walk-on. :lol Don't even get me started on the last level of Nightshade. It should be listed in Webster's under the term "hate."

:lol They took it even farther with Nightshade. 10% ground, plus you had to tate the enemies which were either shielded, guarding, or both.

I never went back and played Nightshade on the higher difficulties. I was on Hard (maybe the next level up), and was in the stage, with the construction site, with all the red beams everywhere (not the beginning one), and I missed a few enemies. I was like fine, until i got to the boss without a full chakra gauge and like no way of getting any more of it. That was a wrap for me and nightshade.

I hope they make a sequal for next gen.

Shinobi. DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are hard simply because you have to learn the strategies at the beggining. Once you learn those the games aren't really that hard but Shinobi requires pure reflexes. So much as a sneeze can cause you to die.

Oldschoolgamer said:
:lol They took it even farther with Nightshade. 10% ground, plus you had to tate the enemies which were either shielded, guarding, or both.

I hope they make a sequal for next gen.

Yes. The only thing keeping Hibana from falling into a pit were mid-air shielded enemies with projectile attacks you couldn't deflect. THANKS, Sega. And, OH GOD, the highway bridge... :lol

I will say that Shinobi and Nightshade had some ****ing great scenarios that would've made (more) people piss themselves at their greatness if the graphics were up to DMC's or NG's level. Running through an increasingly flooded city. Hopping between vehicles on a highway. Fighting on the surface of a stealth jet while deflecting missles. Hopping between speed boats while deflecting missles from subs. Just some crazy shit.

In order:

BTW* we only speak of DMC3 original, not the weaksauce special edition (I kid, I kid )

SHINOBI was hard, easy mode wasnt' easy, and you couldn't level grind.

DMC3 has the whole (you need to buy the continues to have checkpoints, bitch) thing going on -- but in DMC3 you can always orb farm, or switch on over to easy mode to ease things up a bit.

Ninja Gaiden had no such options to "level up" or switch to easy, but it's save system was slightly more forgiving -- in the end, I'd rank it:

Shinobi = NO CHECKPOINTS, VERY HARD, UNVIABLE EASY MODE, NO LEVEL GRINDING COP-OUT.

DMC3 = CHECKPOINTS that you had to buy, HARD, SEMI-VIABLE EASY MODE, LEVEL GRINDING AND ORB FARMING COP-OUT IS POSSIBLE.

Ninja Gaiden = Checkpoints that were semi-well implemented, HARD, NO EASY MODE, and NO OPTION TO LEVEL GRIND.

Hardest to Easiest:

1) Shinobi
2) Ninja Gaiden
3) Devil May Cry 3 (Original)
4) Devil May Cry 1
5) Devil May Cry 3 (Special Edition)
247) Devil May Cry 2 (enzo's day in)
248) God of War

/thread over, C- warrior has spoken.

Shinobi is the king of difficulty.

What? You crybabies, 6-A wasn't any harder half the action games on NES. Shinobi was no big deal once you had the patterns/layouts down.

NGBlack on master ninja spanks anything and everything. If you can get top ranks on that, you are in a very rarified percentile.

LiveFromKyoto said:
What? You crybabies, 6-A wasn't any harder half the action games on NES. Shinobi was no big deal once you had the patterns/layouts down.

NGBlack on master ninja spanks anything and everything. If you can get top ranks on that, you are in a very rarified percentile.

Yeah, with practice, 6-A is tamed. But, NOTHING prepares ANYONE for that first time through it. You're just left to sit there and try to figure out why god hates you. Even then, there's no excuse for the last level of Nightshade. None at all. :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you know, i think the last boss of shinobi was harder than anything else in those three games -- it took me hours to beat him, in two separate sessions. otherwise i found all three games challenging but fair. at least on defaults -- i haven't experimented much with higher difficulties, i'm afraid.

Yea, Nightshade took the pits-o-doom thing way too far for my tastes. What was an occasional annoyance in Shinobi became the whole focus of some of the Nightshade levels, although I guess it was tempered some by Hibana's kick. Boss kills with Hibana were also less satisfying because of the fact that you could launch your charged-up clones from a distance. Game was still pretty fun in spite of all that and the Shinobi-esque production values, though.

And since the game (somewhat understandably) doesn't get much mention around here, check out this Shinobi speed run. 39 gameplay minutes, start to finish, in a single run. Normal difficulty, but still impressive for being able to keep it all together the whole way through.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Tokubetsu said:
Last boss of shinobi RAPES anything you throw at it from DMC and NG. Why even have this thread? Go play through DMC3 and NG again, then try to play the last level of shinobi. ****ing impossible.
*points to a 3 year old thread on gamefaqs dedicated to help beating Hiruko that is still bumped to this day*

Jesus, that thread was started in 03.

Attack you said:
I will say that Shinobi and Nightshade had some ****ing great scenarios that would've made (more) people piss themselves at their greatness if the graphics were up to DMC's or NG's level. Running through an increasingly flooded city. Hopping between vehicles on a highway. Fighting on the surface of a stealth jet while deflecting missles. Hopping between speed boats while deflecting missles from subs. Just some crazy shit.

Yea, those were some of my problems with the games. They weren't visually appealing at all. If its one thing I remember about the reviews and such, it was that they all said the graphics, weren't that good. They needed some more variety with level design.

SpokkX

C- Warrior said:
In order:

BTW* we only speak of DMC3 original, not the weaksauce special edition (I kid, I kid )

SHINOBI was hard, easy mode wasnt' easy, and you couldn't level grind.

DMC3 has the whole (you need to buy the continues to have checkpoints, bitch) thing going on -- but in DMC3 you can always orb farm, or switch on over to easy mode to ease things up a bit.

Ninja Gaiden had no such options to "level up" or switch to easy, but it's save system was slightly more forgiving -- in the end, I'd rank it:

Shinobi = NO CHECKPOINTS, VERY HARD, UNVIABLE EASY MODE, NO LEVEL GRINDING COP-OUT.

DMC3 = CHECKPOINTS that you had to buy, HARD, SEMI-VIABLE EASY MODE, LEVEL GRINDING AND ORB FARMING COP-OUT IS POSSIBLE.

Ninja Gaiden = Checkpoints that were semi-well implemented, HARD, NO EASY MODE, and NO OPTION TO LEVEL GRIND.

Hardest to Easiest:

1) Shinobi
2) Ninja Gaiden
3) Devil May Cry 3 (Original)
4) Devil May Cry 1
5) Devil May Cry 3 (Special Edition)
247) Devil May Cry 2 (enzo's day in)
248) God of War

/thread over, C- warrior has spoken.

Shinobi is the king of difficulty.

I agree 100%

Shinobi was WAY to hard for me to enjoy. Difficulty like NG or DMC3 is great though. GOW was shamefully easy to buttonmash through by comparison, takes the fun out of it.

Top Bottom