• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which major publisher has the most valuable IP?

Which publisher owns the most valuable gaming IP?

• Take Two

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Embracer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EA

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AKB

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Epic

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 151 64.3%

• Total voters
I was wondering, if every publishers IP were valued together, which one would be worth the most? I think it doesn't have to only be how many copies of the game are sold, but rather how much money that IP makes.
Also, if the publisher makes a game, but doesn't own the IP (it Sony and Spider-Man) then it's not included. You can include if the IP has income or royalties from movies, tv shows, merchandise and cards etc.

So T2,has GTA, 2K, RDR etc.
Sony has TLOU, Destiny etc
Microsoft has Minecraft, Halo, Elder Scrolls, Doom etc
Embracer has Borderlands, Duke Nukem, Goat Simulator etc
EA has Madden, Mass Effect, Battlefield etc
Ubisoft has Assassin Creed, Division, Rayman etc
ABK has COD, Diablo, Crash, Candy Crush etc.
Epic has Fortnite
Nintendo has Zelda, Mario, Pokemon etc.

Also, try and rank them from most to least valuable.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Nintendo obviously, but Microsoft could be massive as well, especially if the ABK acquisition moves forward

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol cmon man everyone here who hadn’t been living in a cave knows that Microsoft doesn’t own ABK, and may never depending on what’s gonna happen with the appeals process.
Sorry i don't really follow the acqusition updates, i knew they had problems but that it was still going on.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Smash, AC, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario which all betweens 25-50 millions buuuuuuut I only likes Zelda and Smash

mdkirby

Nintendo have Mario and Pokémon….soooo Nintendo. COD, and GTA are huge, but not as valuable a franchise as either of those.

tryDEATH

Base on brand recognition its Nintendo with Mario and Pokemon. In second place it's between ABK and T2 with Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto being their big hitters. However, if MS manages to Merge with ABK they jump Nintendo and will hold the most valuable IP collection.

Robb

Gold Member
Take 2 has the heavy hitter but Nintendo has it more spread out over a couple of very big IP´s
Is stuff like CoD or GTA even in the same ballpark though?

Outside of games there’s entire theme parks dedicated to Mario, countless droves of merchandise, movies, tv-series etc. etc.

Banjo64

cumsessed

SpokkX

Nintendo has lots. But the most valuable? That must be Minecraft? Every single child plays it, unlike Pokemon that almost no child plays today

shubik

Is stuff like CoD or GTA even in the same ballpark though?

Outside of games there’s entire theme parks dedicated to Mario, countless droves of merchandise, movies, tv-series etc. etc.

hmm good point. I was just going based on the game sales. But you are right. If you take the IP as a whole, stuff like Mario, Star Wars, or Harry Potter for sure has more pull than GTA

Lasha

Nintendo by far. Call of Duty's lifetime revenue just reached $30B last year. The achievement still places it below Mario in terms of revenue much less Pokemon which is edging towards $100B. Nintendo's operating income is larger than Playstation and Xbox because with like 60% of Sony's revenue because its IP are so strong. The gap is only going to widen as Nintendo continues transitioning its video game IP to multi-media franchises.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo of course. just mariokart alone outsells everything put together on a single platform. 😂

Robb

Gold Member
But Nintendo doesn't own enough of Pokemon for it to be valuable compared to everything else. It's obvious by their financial reports, they're not making billions off Pokemon
Yeah I don’t dare to try to unravel ownership of Pokemon. But it is/was a joint venture from what I recall so it’s definitely split between multiple companies. Although I don’t know if Nintendo owns parts of those companies as well.

Nintendo is the one who owns the trademark though, so while they may not rack in all the cash themselves they do own the logo, the art for every single Pokemon ever created etc.

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
I'd say Nintendo.

Also, the fact that someone's idea can make and be worth billions is fascinating to me.

GTA is a big hitter so that alone puts Take Two in a top position but I'd say Nintendo is probably the most valuable overall. You've got Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing. Even the "weaker" titles outsell major games from others.

1. Nintendo
2. Take Two
3. Activision
4. EA
5. Sony
6. Microsoft
7. Ubisoft
8. everyone else.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t dare to try to unravel ownership of Pokemon. But it is/was a joint venture from what I recall so it’s definitely split between multiple companies. Although I don’t know if Nintendo owns parts of those companies as well.

Nintendo is the one who owns the trademark though, so while they may not rack in all the cash themselves they do own the logo, the art for every single Pokemon ever created etc.

The thread is publisher with the most valuable IP, not the most valuable IP. Nintendo's level of ownership doesn't profit enough on Pokemon to compare to GTA or Call of Duty.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Nintendo, and its not even close. Like, if this is a 30km race, Nintendo is close to the finish line, while the second place barely passed off the 1km mark.

Jinzo Prime

Does Sony not have Spider-Man?
No, Disney owns the IP outright, which is why the game's full title is "Marvel's Spider-Man."

The thread is publisher with the most valuable IP, not the most valuable IP. Nintendo's level of ownership doesn't profit enough on Pokemon to compare to GTA or Call of Duty.

Nintendo owns the Pokemon trademark, and the trademark of all the names of all Pokemon.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Gamefreak owns Pokemon but isn’t a major publisher, Creatures Inc. owns Pokemon but isn’t a major publisher, Nintendo owns Pokemon and is a major publisher.

Nintendo is the only answer to put in a thread like this.

Your second point would also be wrong. Even if Nintendo owns 1/3 of Pokemon that’s roughly $25B while something like CoD is $31B, according to:
, so it’s definitely comparable.

And that’s without even considering if Nintendo has stake in Creatures Inc, Gamefreak, or both - which would indirectly increase their share of Pokemon even further.

Last edited:

ssringo

Dunno how the whole Pokémon splits go the companies but it wouldn't matter since it's not just games we're talking about. The merchandising outside of gaming for Nintendo is nuts.

But the microtransaction revenue for the other big hitters is also nuts. GTA5 was pulling like half a billion a year from mtx (if not more). Still doesn't compare but still. Good lord...

Gp1

Nintendo with Take Two not that far. The problem is that T2 make a truckload of money worth with GaaS, and Nintendo don't.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Nintendo and it's not even close.
When the mascot of your company makes an appearance at the Olympics, you know you have a property that prints money.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Nintendo is the only one that exists solely on their first and second party IP’s. Ms and sony rely pretty heavily on partnerships for third party exclusive game or content alongside their general IP’s, sony less so, but theres still a good margin of third party support

Not mention if we’re talking sales, pokemon dominates just about everything

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Take-Two Interactive owns:
  • From Rockstar Games:
    Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Max Payne, L.A. Noire, Bully, Midnight Club, Manhunt, Table Tennis.
  • From 2K:
    NBA 2K, BioShock, Mafia, Borderlands, Civilization, XCOM, Spec Ops, The Darkness.
  • Plus the upcoming Judas, from Ghost Story Games.
With those franchises, I bet they could sustain their own console if they wanted.

Top Bottom