• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which major publisher has the most valuable IP?

Which publisher owns the most valuable gaming IP?

• Take Two

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Embracer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EA

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AKB

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Epic

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 151 64.3%

• Total voters

NickFire

I guessed Activision Blizzard.

Reasons for my (pure) guess: I think the annualized releases of COD, combined with the non-COD money may edge out Take 2's combined offerings. And while loot boxes in 2k, Madden and FiFa were hard to ignore, they probably come with massive costs for the pubs for licensing on tops of the 30% platform cuts. Sony has massive games, but I think that right now losing COD would be more detrimental than any particular first party franchise if I'm being honest. And while I was tempted to say Nintendo, I just don't see their IP making bank on micro-transactions the same way COD (or sports games do). The licensing for toys definitely offsets some of that though.

Pejo

I mean this isn't really an opinion. Pokemon is #1, which is licensed/published by Nintendo. Even if you aren't including non-videogame stuff, it's still Nintendo. I saw this very graph in a GAF thread like a year or two ago:

(quoting because it's a big mfin' picture)
vVq4j9f4vsZZeraeVJSgDZvinj9LeWCYCPOBvOYOPo0.jpg

Last edited:

Holammer

With the decades of Pokemon games and merchandising, it's not controversial to select Nintendo.
For #2, it's a close race between Microsoft, Sony, EA, ABK & Take 2. MS might come on top because of Minecraft.

Naked Lunch

I could give 2 shits about money value.

For value for me, personally, its:
F-Zero [Nintendo]
Metal Gear [Konami]
Panzer Dragoon, Sega Rally, and OutRun [Sega]

Too bad nothing (new) is happening with any of them.

Last edited:

wvnative

Nintendo
EA
Ubisoft

Going by number of popular IP per publisher. Take 2 really only has GTA. Activision only has call of duty. Microsoft could be up there but I feel gears and halo are declining.

I'm only accounting for console games and non licensed properties.

Rush2112

Banned
What's the point in knowing the answer? Buying stocks? They all make more money than you will ever see. That ain't enough?

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
EA currently holds the licensing for major sports titles. Those games all come out yearly with the ultimate team modes generating insane revenue. I know it isn’t technically one IP but ultimate team prints money…

StereoVsn

If we are talking IP, probably Disney. 😉

In this case though it's Nintendo. We aren't discussing game revenues for which Take2 or ACB would be huge but overall IP.

Nintendo has theme parks, merchandising to the wazoo, movies, cartoons, card games and so on. Even with all the crazy cash CoD or GTA Online bring in, it's not even close.

Jinzo Prime

Nintendo
EA
Ubisoft

Going by number of popular IP per publisher. Take 2 really only has GTA. Activision only has call of duty. Microsoft could be up there but I feel gears and halo are declining.

I'm only accounting for console games and non licensed properties.
Activision also has Warcraft, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Crash, Spyro, and Diablo. ABK is huge.

wvnative

Activision also has Warcraft, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Crash, Spyro, and Diablo. ABK is huge.
I honestly forgot about the blizzard side, since those games don't interest me. That's a fair point.

I didn't mention crash or spyro as i really don't consider them massive, despite my love for them. Activision appears uninterested in further investing in Spyro.

mdkirby

Take 2 has the heavy hitter but Nintendo has it more spread out over a couple of very big IP´s
Nah, its not even close, the OP said valuable IP, not just game sales/microtransactions. The IP includes everything, from cuddly toys, to theme park rides, to movies, and games. Nintendo absolutely crush it on that as Pokemon is the most valuable of all 'media' franchises (including from non-gaming first companies like Disney)

If Microsoft ever bought Disney tho, then it would leapfrog them to the top.

Three

I mean this isn't really an opinion. Pokemon is #1, which is licensed/published by Nintendo. Even if you aren't including non-videogame stuff, it's still Nintendo. I saw this very graph in a GAF thread like a year or two ago:

(quoting because it's a big mfin' picture)
It's debatable. Some here are listing companies with the most valuable IPs rather than talking about the publisher with the most valuable IP.

Even just concentrating on a single IP (how I interpreted the question) there is the issue that Pokemon is owned by The Pokemon Company and not directly just Nintendo. A lot (the vast majority) of the value in Pokemon comes from merchandising too and not Nintendo published games. so without including "non-videogame stuff" it's not that valuable at all. As a published game it doesn't make a lot of money but as a franchise with merchandising like Hello Kitty it's massive.

So it all depends on how "which publisher has the most valuable IP" is interpreted.

Last edited:

Pejo

It's debatable. Some here are listing companies with the most valuable IPs rather than talking about the publisher with the most valuable IP.

Even just concentrating on a single IP (how I interpreted the question) there is the issue that Pokemon is owned by The Pokemon Company and not directly just Nintendo. A lot (the vast majority) of the value in Pokemon comes from merchandising too and not Nintendo published games. so without including "non-videogame stuff" it's not that valuable at all. As a published game it doesn't make a lot of money but as a franchise with merchandising like Hello Kitty it's massive.

So it all depends on how "which publisher has the most valuable IP" is interpreted.
That's why I mentioned that even if you ignore non-game stuff, it's still Nintendo, because Mario is the biggest pure "video game IP" on that list, coming in at 30~ billion, if you'd have just scrolled down the image a few ticks.

Three

That's why I mentioned that even if you ignore non-game stuff, it's still Nintendo, because Mario is the biggest pure "video game IP" on that list, coming in at 30~ billion, if you'd have just scrolled down the image a few ticks.
Good point, I thought you were referring to nonvideogame stuff for pokemon.

I think continually COD does more though and reached $30B over a shorter lifetime:

Last edited:
Top Bottom