• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Metal Gear plot point/twist is the most ludicrous?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Can there really be people actually sincerely believing that the MGS3 cast turning out to be the Patriots was planned that long before? I'll never cease to be amazed by the ability of some individuals to delude themselves, here turning the horrendously bad into a brilliant twist years in the making.

Surely had Kojima planned who the Patriots were after MGS2 both 3 and 4 would have turned out very differently. MGS3 would have had actual foreshadowing and character development, and MGS4 wouldn't have had the shittiest narrative in the whole series due, precisely, to the terrible and completely unsatisfying answers it gives to many of the longstanding enigmas of the series.

I dunno... It's not like there isn't anything in the game to support that assertion. Then you have the main theme of the game which ties in with that idea perfectly almost too:

Boss: The foibles of politics and
the march of time can turn friends into enemies just as easily as the wind
changes. Ridiculous, isn't it? Yesterday's ally becomes today's opposition.

And this Cold War? Think back... When I was leading the Cobras, America and
Russia were fighting together. Now consider whether America and Russia will
still be enemies in the 21st century. Somehow, I doubt it. Enemies change
along with the times, and the flow of the ages.

[...]

A soldier's skills aren't meant to be
used to hurt friends. So then what is an enemy? Is there such thing as an
absolute timeless enemy? There is no such thing and never has been. And the
reason is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our
enemies in relative terms.
The world must be made whole again. The
Philosophers must be reunited. I will devote my skills to that purpose.

I'd never ever claim Kojima was subtle but comments like yours make me think otherwise.

No one here has suggested that Kojima had decided who The Patriots were before MGS3. Knowing their identity wouldn't stop MGS4 being dogshit. There was much more wrong with that game than simply "ooo the support team are The Patriots".

Javier23

Banned
Coincidence? Kojima having fun so evidently referencing earlier games in the series (Gray Fox, genetic therapy and cloning, censorship...)?

Absolutely nothing that would make anyone even think that those characters would later on become the Patriots. They also talk a lot about movies and they even talk about the possibility of videogames. Are you telling me that is foreshadowing Zero leaving the military to direct the next James Bond flick and Para-Medic or Sigint patenting the first prototype for a Playstation, and those becoming key topics of MGS4? Is the whole thing about time paradoxes not a throwback to the earlier games, set ahead in the timeline, but foreshadowing a whole subplot related to time travel in MGS4?

Let's be real. I know it's seemingly hard when it comes to this series, but you're better than that.

EDIT: Yeah, so Kojima is building upon previous themes in the series. Which he does all the time. The fact that seemingly MGS5 will deal with the topics of cloning and human experimentation is supposed to make me believe too that already in MGS had the outline in his head for the plot of MGS5, because those were the topics that game dealt with?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Coincidence? Kojima having fun so evidently referencing earlier games in the series (Gray Fox, genetic therapy and cloning, censorship...)?

The fact that each member references elements that they end up involved with individually should ring alarm bells, at the very least. There is an argument to be made for both sides.

Let's be real. I know it's seemingly hard when it comes to this series, but you're better than that.

How about this: rather than be condescending, rude and insulting, perhaps you should try engaging in the discussion....?

EDIT: Yeah, so Kojima is building upon previous themes in the series. Which he does all the time. The fact that seemingly MGS5 will deal with the topics of cloning and human experimentation is supposed to make me believe too that already in MGS had the outline in his head for the plot of MGS5, because those were the topics that game dealt with?

Which game had the same central theme as MGS3?

Cloning and human experimentation don't appear to be the central theme of TPP; I believe language, misunderstanding, and race are the suggested ones, but we won't know till the game comes out.

Javier23

Banned
The fact that each member references elements that they end up involved with individually should ring alarm bells, at the very least.
No, it just tells me that each one of them references elements of earlier games that fall within their area of knowledge. It would be jarring seeing Para-medic talking about the flow of information and Sigint about gene therapy.

EDIT: I'm not trying to fight your point just because, find me acceptable proof of it and I'll be more than happy to remove from my mind the idea that Kojima just made it all up when he sat down to write MGS4. It did sour my enjoyment of the game a bit, and revisiting the game with what you say in mind would certainly make the game better. I just don't see it yet.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
No, it just tells me that each one of them references elements of earlier games that fall within their area of knowledge. It would be jarring seeing Para-medic talking about the flow of information and Sigint about gene therapy.

What about Zero foreshadowing the importance of digital information warfare...? That seems outside his remit.

EDIT: I'm not trying to fight your point just because, find me acceptable proof of it and I'll be more than happy to remove from my mind the idea that Kojima just made it all up when he sat down to write MGS4. It did sour my enjoyment of the game a bit, and revisiting the game with what you say in mind would certainly make the game better. I just don't see it yet.

Nothing will make MGS4 any good, narratively speaking. It's a fucking mess. XD

Kojima was obliged to answer a lot of questions that did not need answering, the development was troubled, his heart wasn't in it, it was unfocused on just about every level; the game is gash through and through... but it is not because The Patriots were the support team from MGS3.

I've pointed you towards plenty of CODEC conversations that suggest Kojima had already decided who The Patriots were when writing MGS3. Yes, it is very possible that they are only meta-references to the series, but given that those characters end up as The Patriots and that the theme of the game is about the relative nature of enemies and friends, it is not a huge leap to suggest that maybe he did know that. It's not that absurd a notion. The only person that can answer that question definitively is Kojima but he's currently under house arrest.

Javier23

Banned
What about Zero foreshadowing the importance of digital information warfare...? That seems outside his remit.
I'm sorry, but the point still stands that a character from MGS3 referencing one of the major plot points of MGS2 is not that surprising and doesn't say that much about what will happen in the next game in the series a few years in the future.

These games are full of this sort of stuff. You have Jehuty in that one cutscene. I doubt Kojima is trying to connect both series in any way beyond the self-referential.

It is definitely near the end of MGS2 when Solidus tries to drop his plot twist by telling Raiden that the events of the game had all been in aid of him finding out the identities of The Patriots, then Ocelot literally walks on screen and goes: "Actually this whole thing was the S3 plan, Solid Snake Simulation, a real word training exercise designed to create a soldier with Solid Snake's abilities."

Then about five minutes later The Patriots reveal that S3 actually stands for Selection for Societal Sanity, meaning that by manipulating the information relating to the game's events, they would be able to manipulate world events?

...I'm sorry, what?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, but the point still stands that a character from MGS3 referencing one of the major plot points of MGS2 is not that surprising and doesn't say that much about what will happen in the next game in the series a few years in the future.

These games are full of this sort of stuff. You have Jehuty in that one cutscene. I doubt Kojima is trying to connect both series in any way beyond the self-referential.

All I'm saying is it is possible that he had decided who The Patriots were when he wrote MGS3, particularly given how they end up. Kojima is definitely the sort of guy to do that sort of stuff, so it isn't as far fetched as you seem to think it is.

Not every meta-textual reference has to be Kojima foreshadowing, equally not every instance of foreshadowing needs to be a meta-textual reference. There can be shades of grey at play here. So no, Jehuty isn't being connected in universe, that's clearly just a reference... but what about REX...?

Window

I dunno... It's not like there isn't anything in the game to support that assertion. Then you have the main theme of the game which ties in with that idea perfectly almost too:

I'd never ever claim Kojima was subtle but comments like yours make me think otherwise.

No one here has suggested that Kojima had decided who The Patriots were before MGS3. Knowing their identity wouldn't stop MGS4 being dogshit. There was much more wrong with that game than simply "ooo the support team are The Patriots".
He sure does beat over the head with it ... and delivers 15 minutes later and at the end of the game. I don't think this 'theme' has anything to do with his teams' betrayal later on. Snake/Raiden get double crossed all the time in earlier games. Even if that was the intention, merely connecting two plot points does not make it convincing as it's not borne out organically via characters.

I don't see this as meaning what you're implying but even if it were to, this is something some other character (Sigint) says in reference to Zero. That's all we get. Zero himself never shows any such knowledge or insight anywhere else. If this is sufficient character development for you, then fine.

Ultimately, I hope you see where others like me are coming from, which is that the links between 3 and 4 are not as obvious or as convincing as you're implying. There may be some way to reconcile the two, but it feels like a stretch all in service of a 'Gotcha!' moment. It may have made MGS3 more interesting for some people to revisit but it doesn't make MGS4 any more interesting because there is no context. Zero dying at the end meant nothing. He doesn't have character development in 4, everything related to him and his being happens off screen.

I've spent too much time on something I don't even mind that greatly...it's just annoying that's all.

And by the by, the support team winding up being the Patriots was a great twist that is perfectly justified by things said by them in MGS3 (to argue this is silly when the examples are so blatant) - its just that execution was poor and the whole, Zero idealised The Boss just as much as Snake did seems to be a massive ass pull, I dont't remember Zero indicating anything of the sort. Now that is a cheat.

There's a difference between foreshadowing/providing links to things like SIGINT being Donald, Paramedic possibly being involved in Les Enfants Terrible and them being the Patriots. Big Boss, EVA, and Ocelot went through the proper character development that even though there was no real foreshadowing you could easily buy into them being Patriots when its revealed later.

The other 3 just got little haha winks and nudges to past games, but not much in the way where you got to know their characters and how they could start down the path of becoming Patriots. The problem is we never got to see how the events of MGS3 affected them.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He sure does beat over the head with it ... and delivers 15 minutes later and at the end of the game. I don't think this 'theme' has anything to do with his teams' betrayal later on.

Sure. I'm not saying the theme solely regards the team. It's a theme after all, so in any cohesive work it should permeate everything. Lo and behold, that's exactly what it does: Big Boss, Volgin, The Boss, The Cobras, Russia, America, The Philosophers... etc. All are tied in with the idea of relative enemies. Why would the support team/future Patriots be any different?

Snake/Raiden get double crossed all the time in earlier games. Even if that was the intention, merely connecting two plot points does not make it convincing as it's not borne out organically via characters.

Whether it's convincing or not is up to you. A lot of people are saying there was no suggestion that the support team would become The Patriots and that Kojima pulled it out of his arse in MGS4. I'm pointing out threads that were put in place that suggest he may have had them in mind from the start of MGS3. Most people already made their minds up about it when MGS4 came out, so I'm unlikely to change any entrenched opinions. I just thought it was worth pointing these things out since it appears to be a little more ambiguous than a straight ass-pull as was first thought.

I don't see this as meaning what you're implying but even if it were to, this is something some other character (Sigint) says in reference to Zero. That's all we get. Zero himself never shows any such knowledge or insight anywhere else.

Whoever says it, a direct connection is made between Zero, Electronic Information Warfare, and a unified world. He subsequently turns out to be the head of the uber-Electronic Information Warfare organisation that wants to make a unified world. Barring any translation issues, someone wrote that connection in. What was the intention given what we now know? Yeah, it could simply be a reference to MGS2 but I don't think it's tinfoil hat territory to suggest maybe it was foreshadowing, given everything myself and others have pointed out.

If this is sufficient character development for you, then fine.

Cheeky! :D

I'm not saying that these bits of foreshadowing are good substitutes for character development. There's fifty (?) years between MGS3 and 4 where we don't see them, so of course they are devoid of any meaningful character development. Hell, they aren't even characters in MGS4 as much as they are actions; anomalous influences emanating from a super-secret shadow organisation.

I think these references are little set-ups, 'plant and grabs' that hint at what these characters will become, not actual character development. The main crux of people's complaints have been "I don't see how X can end up doing Y". I think we're given the seeds for those transformations in MGS3, rather than the transformations themselves which obviously occur over the 50 years we don't see.

Ultimately, I hope you see where others like me are coming from, which is that the links between 3 and 4 are not as obvious or as convincing as you're implying.

I absolutely do. I hope you and others like you are willing to at least entertain the possibility that Kojima knew who The Patriots were as early as MGS3, given the large number of hints and the game's overall theme.

There may be some way to reconcile the two, but it feels like a stretch all in service of a 'Gotcha!' moment. It may have made MGS3 more interesting for some people to revisit but it doesn't make MGS4 any more interesting because there is no context. Zero dying at the end meant nothing. He doesn't have character development in 4, everything related to him and his being happens off screen.

MGS4 is gash. That particular plot twist isn't the reason why though.

I've spent too much time on something I don't even mind that greatly...it's just annoying that's all.

Yeah. I'm a little weary of juggling multiple posters myself :D

So I just finished MGS3 and
Where exactly is the part where it's revealed that the support team are the Patriots? I watched the after credits stuff with Ocelot. Did I miss something? I didn't even get a hint of implication anywhere.

So I just finished MGS3 and
Where exactly is the part where it's revealed that the support team are the Patriots? I watched the after credits stuff with Ocelot. Did I miss something? I didn't even get a hint of implication anywhere.

MGS4
Eva exposition dump cutscene.

Top Bottom