• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Metal Gear plot point/twist is the most ludicrous?

Dalek

I'm getting geared up for MGS5 next month-I never finished Peace Walker-so I was watching a story recap on youtube. The ending of this game has me like this:

tumblr_inline_mrfnvsnbah1qz4rgp.gif

in regards to the twist of
Paz in her underwear piloting a Metal Gear and revealing her name is Pacifica Ocean, and she's been manipulating the situation the entire time.
Obviously the entire series is full of WTF moments-some of them awesome, and some embarrassing.

Flandy

Is it okay if I say most of MGS2 and 4? No? Okay :(

Ocelot hypnotizing himself was pretty dumb

Krejlooc

Banned
The one where detractors try to spin "I dont like the story" into "these are the worst games i've ever played" in a hyperbolic huff.

Dalek

Ocelot
not actually being controlled by Liquid, he fucking hypnotized himself to think he was liquid? wtf?

I remember playing that in 4 and being pissed off.
Possession by Liquid was insane, but it was actually cool.

Spazznid

Seems weird to spoiler tag in such a thread but, mgs4
liquid-hypnotized ocelot not actually possessed by solid's lesser half

Jigorath

Banned
Something about one dude living in another dude's arm.

Then they retconned that into something even more stupid.

Whatever it might be, I guarantee it's something from MGS4 or Peace Walker. MGS4 had super fantasy nano machines, but Peace Walker is Peace Walker.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
All the plot twists that kept happening at the end of MGS2 to the point that I wasn't able to navigate the maze of betrayal.

Going with MGS4's
Liquid Ocelot not actually possessed by Liquid
. It's just difficult to accept really, especially with how poorly explained the justifications for him doing so.

OP, personally I didn't mind the
Pacifica Ocean
you just mentioned. PW was really silly and light-hearted even by MGS standards, having such a strange silly twist out of nowhere actually made me really appreciate the twist in question. It strangely fit well with PW's tone.

Ocelot
not actually being controlled by Liquid, he fucking hypnotized himself to think he was Liquid? wtf?
This wouldn't have been one of the dumbest things in all of gaming if they hadn't already set Ocelot up to be able to communicate with the dead potentially...considering who his dad is.

Then they took a big 20 pound shit all over that.

Roto13

All of your support team in MGS3 turned evil and built an AI that runs the world. Somehow. That's the most egregious one to me. I have a hard time suspending my disbelief for it.

Mgs2:
liquids arm controlling ocelot. and the twist involving it in mgs4

mgs2 is when I realized I was watching/playing an Anime and I came to terms with that. It's still my favorite gaming series of all time.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MGS2:
Ocelot being possessed by Liquid Snake because he had his arm transplanted was the biggest WTF for me.

Damerman

Liquid in mgs4. He did all of this to what end? There really is no explination as to why liquid jumped through all those hoops other than to trick
the patriots so that snake could get in

I was annoyed by it the very first time i played mgs4 and still to this day after i've lost count of my mgs4 playthroughs.

Liquid arm possesion and subsequent retcon in mgs4 never bother me, I always think of it that liquid did indeed possess ocelot in mgs2, some time after that offscreen, ocelot manage to gain control again and replace liquid arm with real bionic arm, and use the opportunity to fool the patriots ai by keep pretending to be liquid.

Everything regarding the entire Liquid/Ocelot situation across 2, 3, and 4. To actually introducing that, to trying to heavily imply an explanation for how it could happen, to completely reversing, to the Database explaining that both situations were true because what the fuck.

All the plot twists that kept happening at the end of MGS2 to the point that I wasn't able to navigate the maze of betrayal.

These statements always amuse me. Like how the hell do you even get lost in a story that is so clearly presented.

vid

Liquid arm possesion and subsequent retcon in mgs4 never bother me, I always think of it that liquid did indeed possess ocelot in mgs2, some time after that offscreen, ocelot manage to gain control again and replace liquid arm with real bionic arm, and use the opportunity to fool the patriots ai by keep pretending to be liquid.

This is how I've always taken it. It makes the most sense in the context of MGS2/3/4, while also giving solid explanation to things like
Ocelot's voice changing into Liquid's during MGS2 but not MGS4

The Liquid arm thing didn't get retconned. Liquid was possessing Ocelot in MGS2. Then Ocelot took back control, took the arm off, got a prosthetic one and then hypnotized himself to be Liquid.

That's why it's stupid.

like why

why did he need to keep up that exact act with such a convoluted scheme, and not try to do anything else that would be a hundred times more logical

what was the purpose of trying to fool a computer into believing in ghosts

like, that's literally what he was doing

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Meryl and Jonny.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
These statements always amuse me. Like how the hell do you even get lost in a story that is so clearly presented.

It's been about 7 years since I played it so I couldn't really tell you the specifics all I know is that the game ended and I had no idea what the fuck happened. Then I went online and found a website with pages upon pages explaining exactly what happened because it was so confusing.

I guess we just aren't as smart as you are.

Roto13

This is how I've always taken it. It makes the most sense in the context of MGS2/3/4, while also giving solid explanation to things like
Ocelot's voice changing into Liquid's during MGS2 but not MGS4

Ocelot sounded like Liquid 100% of the time in MGS4 in Japanese, though. :I

Scott667

I've always loved how MGS1 and MGS3 pull the exact same twist
That Ocelot was working for the US Government the whole time.
They even reveal it in the exact same way both times
One sided phone call played after the credits
. Obviously when you factor the Patriots into it the whole thing gets a little more complicated, but I've always loved that Kojima managed to "fool me twice".

On a more serious note, I find it ridiculous that MGS4 ruined a great character from MGS3 with
Para-medic going from a somewhat silly movie buff into a person who performed highly unethical experiments on Gray Fox. (Along with the rest of the support team becoming the Patriors)
I get that Kojima wanted to tie the events of MGS3 into the main story, but making helpful characters go so severely out of character is one of the reasons why MGS4 never resonated with me.

Fury451

Banned
Everything about Liquid Ocelot is absolutely insane and idiotic beyond belief.

It's hard to top this.

I know people hate the Meryl and Johnny thing, and that was dumb, but Liquid Ocelot always stuck out even by the series' standards.

Top Bottom