• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Metal Gear plot point/twist is the most ludicrous?

I'd like to believe Ocelot WAS possessed in 2, Got rid of the arm post mgs2, and then in 4 fooled the patriots into thinking he still was possesed all in order to take out GW.

Yup. It may have been stupid but I appreciated the explanation.

I'm surprised so many people didn't like the Ocelot twist in MGS4. That was so much better than him being mind controlled by an arm

This is the main reason I'm fine with it. Ocelot is on the most important characters in the series and shows up as much as the Snakes.

It would have suck if this important character was reduced to simply being a puppet for a ghost.

Considering his true allegiances are big part of his character I liked him being able to pull off one last huge deception.

Dremark

Banned
I think the problem is that by providing the biggest motivation for Big Boss' downfall, it was already incredibly relevant to the rest of the series. It's the catalyst of...everything.

Let me clarify. I don't think every single detail and character needed to be shoehorned into having relevance into the rest of the series.

I don't see the support team becoming the Patriots as being something that makes the story more interesting nor did it really fit that well. 3 didn't really gel very well with 4 in having them take that role.

Broank

The plot twists I'm fine with.

That wedding scene in 4 though... ugh...
pretty much the entirety of act 3 was a mess too, I think Kojima went way too wild with the homages there.

ryushe

WH2b.jpg
I've completed entry single Metal Gear game to date sans PW and I've never seen this.

Where is it from?

30 minutes of dead serious cold war talk, followed up by a scientist kidnapped by bees 10 minutes into the game. Last mgs for me, just too much nonsense.

Naomi's story is one big headscratcher. She ends MGS1 by forgiving Snake and forging her own way in the world, living for herself. Come MGS4, she's shacked up with the bad guys, working on the biggest, most ludicrous evil scheme the world has ever seen. She drops that ridiculous line about "If you won't be a prisoner to fate, then go accept your destiny" or whatever. She fucks Otacon, she turns out to be Vamp's BFF or something, then she just says "Oh beeteedubz I have to die of cancer now c u later lol"

But, yeah, nothing even touches the Liquid is controlling Ocelot -> Ocelot is pretending to be Liquid controlling Ocelot storyline.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, it has to be the Liquid Ocelot backpedal in MGS4. There's a ton of ridiculous stuff in the MGS storyline, but that's one of the only ridiculous things that also actively damages the narrative and diminishes the characters involved. It doesn't feel like Kojima's usual batshittery, it just feels like lazy writing.

I always thought MGS was a really serious series, especially judging by MGSV trailers and that Revengance was the exception because Platinum but this thread...

This thread has made me want to play the games more and less all at once.

Edzi

As others are saying, the Liquid arm 'retcon' in MGS4 was particularly bad. If we're talking about just plain terrible plot though, then I'd nominate PW in it's entirety since that took something as beloved as MGS3's plot and characters and just proceeded to ruin them all.

I'm surprised so many people didn't like the Ocelot twist in MGS4. That was so much better than him being mind controlled by an arm

Nope, him being controlled by Liquids ghost actually makes sense since The Sorrow was his dad. The MGS4 explanation was completely unnecessary and dumb.

Dremark

Banned
Naomi's story is one big headscratcher. She ends MGS1 by forgiving Snake and forging her own way in the world, living for herself. Come MGS4, she's shacked up with the bad guys, working on the biggest, most ludicrous evil scheme the world has ever seen. She drops that ridiculous line about "If you won't be a prisoner to fate, then go accept your destiny" or whatever. She fucks Otacon, she turns out to be Vamp's BFF or something, then she just says "Oh beeteedubz I have to die of cancer now c u later lol"

Wasn't she arrested for treason at the end of MGS1? Anyway I always hated her character and thought her actions made little sense. She injected Snake with FOXDIE to kill him as revenge for him " killing" her brother in MG2 in a fair Fight because they ended up on the opposite side of a conflict.

I always thought that was ridiculously petty so none of her actions seemed out of line to me.

Voras

The Phantom Pain announcement was a pretty good plot twist.

Raiden not dying after being run over by Outer Haven. I was pretty convinced he was dead.

Zomba13

I always thought it was impressive that Liquid could build the perfect disguise with just a hair tie and a pair of sunglasses.

I think it's impressive the lengths he went though to dress up for a radio conversation. Like, he goes in his little room, does his hair, puts on the sunglasses and waits for Snake to call him over the radio and then talks back while dressed up. For a radio. And then he does the reveal. Over radio.

Wasn't she arrested for treason at the end of MGS1

I believe she's let off the hook when it turns out that the Secretary of Defense was a cackling evil bad guy and he takes the fall for the whole Shadow Moses incident. She has an inspiring voiceover during the end credits about no longer living for anything, but living just to live. Or something like that.

I think it's impressive the lengths he went though to dress up for a radio conversation. Like, he goes in his little room, does his hair, puts on the sunglasses and waits for Snake to call him over the radio and then talks back while dressed up. For a radio. And then he does the reveal. Over radio.

People can see eachother through the Codec. Don't ask how :p

Gun Animal

My impression of Ocelot's Liquid Persona shenanigans was that while he was ACTUALLY possessed in MGS2, he realized that the Liquid persona allowed him to get away with a lot of dumb shit without blowing his cover to the Patriot AI, because the AI had already accepted that Liquid was A) Psychically Alive and B) a seperate personal entity from Ocelot during the Selection for Societal Sanity.

To answer the question of the thread, Naomi having cancer and comitting cancer-inhibiting nanomachine seppuku. There were much better ways to do that.

Sande

It has to be the arm thing. MGS 4 was the second MGS I played after the reasonably sane 3 so I was not prepared for any of it.

Zomba13

People can see eachother through the Codec. Don't ask how :p

I just refuse to believe that until 4. In 4 Snake watches people through his eyePad. In all the others it's not nanomachines or implants, it's us having something to look at instead of Snake crouched down in the middle of a hallway or boss fight after giving the time out sign.

CassSept

I don't have a PS3 so I played MGS4 in a social room of an organization I was part of, trying to fit it in the hours I thought I would be alone. So one day my friend comes and asked me to show him the game. Cue Johnny Poopypants zooming around with a huge feces stain on his trousers giving out bowel sounds.

AND AT THE END OF THE GAME HE MARRIES MERYL.

I just refuse to believe that until 4. In 4 Snake watches people through his eyePad. In all the others it's not nanomachines or implants, it's us having something to look at instead of Snake crouched down in the middle of a hallway or boss fight after giving the time out sign.

Remember Snake not expecting Mei Ling to be so cute when they first meet on the Codec? Nanomachines, son.

Kuraudo

Banned
Otacon sleeping with his stepmother while his stepsister was drowning always felt like unnecessary melodrama which really interrupts MGS2's pacing. It's not as ridiculous as some of the more fantastical elements of the series, but it just feels so out of place and a hamfisted attempt to replicate the drama of his relationship with Sniper Wolf in the previous game.

But yeah, MGS4 really takes the cake with this one. You could print out that game's script, close your eyes and throw a dart and you're sure to hit a good comtender for most ludicrous twist in anything.

Banzai

This thread just reminds me of the disappointing story events in 4...

Whyyy not stay with ghost-liquid taking over ocelot? ocelot is the son of The Sorrow for crying out loud! Use it.

Whyyy would EVA try to protect Solidus' corpse from the fire. whyyy.

whyyyyy not end on Snake killing himself. It would have absolutely been the most perfect ending for anything ever. I'm serious.

edit: gonna need someone to post that comic about BB showing up. you know the one.

johnny sasaki and meryl, because it confirms that the entire series is an elaborate troll. everything else could conceivably just be chalked up to dumb sci-fi ideas.

tensuke

I too was upset about the Ocelot thing at first but after I thought about it for a while, I think the greatest part about Ocelot
not actually being controlled by Liquid's arm
is that we all just accepted it in MGS2 because...MGS, and then in MGS4 despite cyborgs and vamp and
putting together BB's body and keeping him alive all those years
and metal gears and patriots and nanomachines, Kojima's just like
that isn't even close to possible with today's technology, are you dumb?
. What a master fucking ruseman he is. I love it.

ryushe

I'm flabbergasted that I'm just finding out that The Boss and The Sorrow are Ocelot's parents.....

I really need to replay these games.

Gun Animal

This thread just reminds me of the disappointing story events in 4...

Whyyy not stay with ghost-liquid taking over ocelot? ocelot is the son of The Sorrow for crying out loud! Use it.

Whyyy would EVA try to protect Solidus' corpse from the fire. whyyy.

whyyyyy not end on Snake killing himself. It would have absolutely been the most perfect ending for anything ever. I'm serious.

edit: gonna need someone to post that comic about BB showing up. you know the one.

He WAS possessed, at first. at some point between MGS2 and MGS4 Ocelot switched the arm out but kept playing off the Liquid Persona deal to throw the Patriot AI off his trail.

Because he's her son! This seems really obvious to me. Parent-Gaf, help me out!

Because Kojima's whole team was against ending the series on a sad note (it was originally supposed to end with Snake and Otacon being executed for war crimes...) and Kojima caved.

I'm flabbergasted that I'm just finding out that The Boss and The Sorrow are Ocelot's parents.....

I really need to replay these games.

It's only heavily implied over several optional radio calls. His age lines up with when the Boss gave birth during Normandy.

It's still Snake incubating an owl's egg in his equipment so that it will eventually hatch, grow up, and then hoot to trick a guard into thinking it's might time.

In MGS2 Otacon revealing his dad killed himself because Otacon fucked his stepmum. It's probably the only time I was actually like "okay what the fuck" in a bad way whilst playing the series because it's such a convoluted idea, told in like three lines of dialogue, and never really being hinted to before or brought up again afterwards.

Tookay

Pretty much the entirety of MGS2, whose bullshit MGS4 had the unfortunate distinction of having to clean up.

And I like MGS2.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
In MGS2 Otacon revealing his dad killed himself because Otacon fucked his stepmum. It's probably the only time I was actually like "okay what the fuck" in a bad way whilst playing the series because it's such a convoluted idea, told in like three lines of dialogue, and never really being hinted to before or brought up again afterwards.

I admit, thats probably good enough for me, I mean, if a woman I loved enough to marry just fucks my son, I'd literally die from such a massive L

KORNdoggy

everything post MGS1? at a stretch MGS2. seriously. the more games kojima makes the more convoluted they get, ocelot hypnotizing himself with liquids arm... the entire "nanomachines" get of of jail free card in regards to plot points.... and he has absolutely no writing skills when it comes to normal human dialogue. which could be mistranslation sure, but things like "played like a fiddle" come across as very conscious choices.

you know those really wordy, "could have been a quarter as long and explained just as much" scenes in the matrix reloaded with the oracle and the architect?...that's essentially what kojima and the MGS games have become. whereas the first MGS was the original matrix. it was pretty out there in premise and it had it's share of cheese, but it was a much more simple story. and benefited for it.

Top Bottom